VAMPS-R-US discussion

Vampires > Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Alther (hawkbrother) | 1 comments Just read this one by Seth Grahame-Smith and highly recommmend it. Its a great story and the author really knows about Lincoln. Actual events in his life and quotes from his speeches are woven into the fictional narrative.
If you like vampire stories, or alternate history novels, or even Civil War-related fiction you will like this book.

message 2: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

Tiffany (vampoholic) | 3255 comments Mod
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith ......ndiana, 1818. Moonlight falls through the dense woods that surround a one-room cabin, where a nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln kneels at his suffering mother's bedside. She's been stricken with something the old-timers call "Milk Sickness."

"My baby boy..." she whispers before dying.
Only later will the grieving Abe learn that his mother's fatal affliction was actually the work of a vampire. When the truth becomes known to young Lincoln, he writes in his journal, "henceforth my life shall be one of rigorous study and devotion. I shall become a master of mind and body. And this mastery shall have but one purpose..." Gifted with his legendary height, strength, and skill with an ax, Abe sets out on a path of vengeance that will lead him all the way to the White House.

While Abraham Lincoln is widely lauded for saving a Union and freeing millions of slaves, his valiant fight against the forces of the undead has remained in the shadows for hundreds of years. That is, until Seth Grahame-Smith stumbled upon The Secret Journal of Abraham Lincoln, and became the first living person to lay eyes on it in more than 140 years.

Using the journal as his guide and writing in the grand biographical style of Doris Kearns Goodwin and David McCullough, Seth has reconstructed the true life story of our greatest president for the first time-all while revealing the hidden history behind the Civil War and uncovering the role vampires played in the birth, growth, and near-death of our nation.

message 3: by Pisces19 (new)

Pisces19 | 196 comments I agree completely on this one! Loved this book! Looking forward to the film! Interestingly enough, when I read the first description of Henry at the beginning of the book, an image of Dominic Cooper immediately came to mind, I later went to see who was playing him in the cast for the film. It's Dominic Cooper! Perfect casting! Can't wait to see what they do with this movie!

message 4: by Rjsmommy (new)

Rjsmommy | 326 comments I also loved this book. Bought it originally as a gag gift for a male friend who is a history teacher and can't stand my vampire obsession but I decided to read it before I gave it to him. I loved the blend of historical fact and vampire fantasy. I still have his other book...Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on my must- read list.

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Baker | 73 comments AB:VH is one of the most imaginative books I've read in years. From what I hear, P&P&Z is also great, but I haven't read it yet.

message 6: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (last edited Jul 17, 2011 12:32PM) (new)

I haven't read either yet but I sure as hell plan too! I am so behind on my reading list.

message 7: by Cypher (new)

Cypher Lx (CypherLx) | 29 comments I've read both and have nothing bad to say about either one. They're both fantastic reads. Are they making a movie based on A.L.V.H.? I hadn't heard that.

message 8: by Pisces19 (new)

Pisces19 | 196 comments They sure are! The movie currently has a a release date of June 22, 2012. Can't wait!

message 9: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

Then I have to hurry up and read it!!! Lol. Any sex?

message 10: by Pisces19 (new)

Pisces19 | 196 comments Sadly no, but on the other hand, I don't really think I want to imagine Abraham Lincoln having sex...there is something just wrong about that...

:P

message 11: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

Oh come on, take away the beard and the hat and he was probably sexy as hell. Lmfao

message 12: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (last edited Nov 19, 2011 11:28PM) (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 648 comments Mod
I discovered this book one day while in Barnes and Noble. The cover and the title shocked me. At first I said "WTF??!!!" and I thought it was just a joke. But I went and bought a copy of it anyway and read it. It was actually really good! Abe was a bad ass vampire killer, armed with lots of weapons. The Vamps he fought were dark, scary, and evil...THE WAY VAMPIRES SHOULD BE!!! It was a quick read, and tied together true facts about Abraham Lincoln with fictional acounts of vampires. They actually made a trailer for this book, you can find it on youtube..it's pretty entertaining. And Yes, there is going to be a movie. I have not checked on the status of it lately, but I'm sure it will be good.

message 13: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

WOO HOO!!!! I have def got to check it out! Thanx. ;-)

message 14: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (new)

Yeah, it's pretty cool. A fight scene between Abraham and a vampire.

message 15: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

Hot damn! Lol

message 16: by Mary frances (new)

Mary frances (red_mary) | 21 comments omg looks good i lov real vamps that don't sparkie

message 17: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

Lol. Check out this one too, reading it now.... Uprising (The Vampire Federation, #1) by Sean McCabe

message 18: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (new)

That one looks pretty cool too, I'll have to add that to my list.

message 19: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (new)

Mary frances wrote: "omg looks good i lov real vamps that don't sparkie"

Yeah, seriously....enough with the damned sparkling vampires already. When the hell is that gonna go away?

message 20: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

It is! Waiting on book two, impatiently. Lol.

Never! Lmao. I think ppl may riot at the end of the nx movie.

message 21: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (new)

You mean we're stuck with those "Jonas Brothers Vampires" forever?? It's like we've all gone to Vampire Hell.

message 22: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

ROFLMFAO!!!!

message 23: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (new)

LOL....I Know!! Okay, it seems we've gotten a bit off topic here. Anyway, I think Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is a great book. If you have not seen the promotional trailer for it, heres the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X58RPS...

message 24: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

Lol! Thanx Dan!! ;-)

message 25: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (last edited Dec 21, 2011 02:36PM) (new)

Just thought I'd show you guys that they've just released two new posters for the upcoming Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter film. Check 'em out....

Photobucket

Photobucket

message 26: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

LOVE EM THANK U!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

message 27: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (new)

Tiffany wrote: "LOVE EM THANK U!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)"

YW. I think the movie is gonna be pretty cool.

message 28: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

I hope so. The more blood and guts the better! Lol

message 29: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (new)

Oh yeah, I'm sure Tim Burton will make it nice and dark for us. lol.

message 30: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

YAY!!! So when shall I be ready for our bloody date, hmmm? Jk. LOL

message 31: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (new)

LOL. Sometime in June, 2012. HAHA.

message 32: by Shelskharma (new)

Shelskharma | 28 comments Read this in the early spring- enjoyed it- movie should be good! :)

message 33: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

Dan wrote: "LOL. Sometime in June, 2012. HAHA."

Woo hoo!!! *dusting off knee-high combat boots* CAN'T WAIT!! LOL

message 34: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (new)

Photobucket

message 35: by Rayna (new)

Rayna  | 1785 comments patiently waiting for June!!!

message 36: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

Well, I am IMpatiently waiting for it!

message 37: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (last edited Jan 11, 2012 04:11PM) (new)

Oh June will be here before you know it. And then it will be Christmas all over again and we'll be like, "what happened?". LOL.

P.S. Have you guys read the book yet?

message 38: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (new)

Photobucket

message 39: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

DO NOT SAY THAT!!!! Not yet. I was going to, but then I saw that the movie was coming out, and if I read the book first I will 9 times out of 10 HATE the movie.

message 40: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (last edited Jan 20, 2012 09:17PM) (new)

Tiffany wrote: "DO NOT SAY THAT!!!! Not yet. I was going to, but then I saw that the movie was coming out, and if I read the book first I will 9 times out of 10 HATE the movie."

WHOA. Well, yes, the book is ALWAYS better than the movie. But, I read it over a year and a half ago and I can't wait for the movie.

message 41: by Rayna (new)

Rayna  | 1785 comments im in the same boat as Tiff....if i kow a book that i want to read is coming out in movie i tend to read it after. Im way to dissapointed in the movie the other way around and im a big movie buff!

message 42: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (last edited Jan 20, 2012 10:03PM) (new)

Well be that as it may, I just suggest the book to vamp fans cause its a good vamp book. Wait till after you've seen the movie, then read the book.I mean if you still want to that is...lol. I mean how many versions of Bram Stoker's Dracula are there? Hundreds!!! Read the book....It's Completely different. Same goes for Interview with The Vampire.

message 43: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

LOL. True. I already have it downloaded and ready to read, as soon as I c the movies. Lmao. There is like no good vamp movies, well very few CAN'T WAIT TO C UNDERWORLD!, so I can't risk screwing this one up before it has a chance. Yes, I have very fucked up logic. LMfao!

message 44: by Rayna (new)

Rayna  | 1785 comments mmmmm... Underworld theres another date night for me! lol

message 45: by Tiffany, *nIGHT mISTRESS* on a MisSiOn! (new)

Right!!!! Ima treat meself!!!

message 46: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (last edited Feb 05, 2012 12:29PM) (new)

Aside from Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, there seems to be a trend right now with mixing historical figures and classic literature with vampires, werewolves, and zombies

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange Jane Slayre The Literary Classic with a Blood-Sucking Twist by Sherri Browning Erwin Emma and the Vampires by Wayne Josephson Emma and the Werewolves by Adam Rann Shakespeare Undead by Lori Handeland Little Women and Werewolves by Porter Grand Wuthering Bites by Sarah Gray

message 47: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (last edited Feb 14, 2012 05:42AM) (new)

THE FIRST TRAILER TO ABRAHAM LINCOLN VAMPIRE HUNTER HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED!!!!!
http://www.vampires.com/first-abraham...

message 48: by Rayna (new)

Rayna  | 1785 comments Okay...firstly that was a fabulous trailer.....almost makes me wish i didnt see it yet! It looks like you get your way Dan....im a gunna have to read the book before summer! Dammit!

message 49: by Pisces19 (new)

Pisces19 | 196 comments OMG!! That trailer looks AMAZING!! I am so excited for this movie. It is the vamp movie I have most been looking forward to, even more than Dark Shadows! It looks a lot like the book! CAN'T WAIT!! This was one of my fave vamp books! Hooray!

message 50: by Dan, Deadly, dangerous and out for blood..... (last edited Feb 14, 2012 12:30PM) (new)

LOL..yeah isn't it just awesome? I thought you guys would like it. And keep in mind thats just a teaser! There will probably be another trailer coming out soon. Yeah, I'm really looking foward to it too. I just hope that the vampires look really scary. Rayna, if you wanna read the book before you see the movie, it's a pretty good book. And oh yeah, I just reviewed it in my reviews section earlier today.

« previous 1