Amazon Kindle discussion

Where Do You Start?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Most of the Kindle books pick a point for the "beginning" that is not necessarily the beginning of the book ... usually the book opens to the first chapter. I figured out early on that there was content ahead of that "page" and have developed a habit of switching to the "cover" location when I start a new book, so that I don't miss Introductions, Prologues, etc.

Are other Kindlers doing the same thing?

message 2: by IUHoosier (new)

IUHoosier | 93 comments Yes, I always bounce to the cover when I start a new book.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri (clanmoran) | 77 comments Stormhawk--I do the same thing. I want to read the introduction (sneak peak) of what is to come. When I am done w/ the book, I put it back to the cover instead of leaving it at the end.

message 4: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I leave them at the last page so I can easily see what's read and unread based on the dots.

message 5: by Kae (new)

Kae Cheatham (uppitywoman) | 37 comments I have Kindle for PC, and it seems to always open at the "top" of the file.

What's aggravating are the books that don't have any author or pub information at the beginning.

message 6: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 25 comments I also go back to the cover when starting a new book. I am afraid I will miss something in those first pages that I would like to know about the book or author.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I just start at the first page. I very rarely read introductions or author's notes.

message 8: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (scruffynerfer) | 142 comments I tend to go to the cover, mainly to see if they have added cover art and to see how it looks, then I skip the copyright but if there is something that interests me then i'll read it, otherwise i'll jump to the beginning.

message 9: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) I also start from the first page. That way I can jump right into a book!

message 10: by Bakari (new)

Bakari | 22 comments Same here. I stat from the first page—with Kindle on my iPad. I do get frustrated however when I “flip” through pages and have a hard time getting back to last page I was reading.

message 11: by M. (new)

M. Clifford (mcliffordauthor) | 17 comments That's interesting.....I never knew Kindles started you off at Chapter 1 instead of the cover. Strange. I would think a lot of you who are just beginning at Chapter 1 are probably missing some important info. Not necessarily author's notes or dedications, etc., but like stormhawk said, you could be missing things like Prologues! That's like skipping the actual Chapter 1 of a book. I would be so upset if people were skipping my prologues....that's where so much of the story is begun, especially if you're telling the story in media res. You might want to consider checking to see what you're missing before beginning...

message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine The "start" page is determined by the publisher. It goes into the code when the publisher creates the ebook, and I think the purpose is to allow the reader to skip lengthy tables of contents (I've bought books with TOCs that were pages and pages), lists of illustrations, acknowledgments, dedications, and other boring front matter and go right to the start of the book. And by default, that is where the book opens when you first open it.

Catherine M. Wilson
http://shieldmaidenpress.com/
http://raqoon-design.com/

message 13: by M. (new)

M. Clifford (mcliffordauthor) | 17 comments Yes, that makes sense. I understand that there is a lot of junk at the beginning that nobody wants to read. I would only be worried about actual story content that is getting skipped.

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephbelch) | 43 comments I have Kindle on my BlackBerry and it seems to start on the title page, omitting the dedication page and right into the preface depending if that book has one. I just have to scroll down to change the page and it is real easy to go back to a specific page or chapter if need be.