Between the Wars discussion

Flappers and Fashion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabriele (last edited Aug 24, 2010 06:06AM) (new)

Gabriele Wills (muskoka) | 526 comments Mod
I just finished the fascinating history Flapper: A Madcap Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women Who Made America Modern (Hardcover), and have been researching 1920s fashions. If you want to see some delightful and stunning vintage dresses check out http://www.antiquedress.com/gallery.htm and http://www.vintagetextile.com/1920s_t.... Makes me want to have one of those! I especially like the "Worth sequined evening dress" on the second site. Wouldn't wearing one of those help to get you into the mood of the era?

I have "The House of Elliott" coming from the library, as it's been years since I saw that series.

message 2: by Gabriele (new)

Forgot to mention that some of those beaded gown are really heavy - 4+ pounds! OK so not the sort of outfit I could be wearing as I sit at my computer writing!

It appears that most of these dresses didn't have closures, but just pulled over your head. Here's a description from website 1, in my previous posting, of how to get one off: "to get these heavy beaded dresses off easily, bend way forward at the waist, pull the skirt up and then raise your arms over your dropped head and let gravity help you wiggle out of the dress." LOL!

message 3: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 220 comments I'll take #6952, Black Silk Charmeuse, beaded. It really strikes my fancy. Some lovely things there, can you imagine if we really reverted back to some of these stylish things, especially in our daily wear? What would life be like? I know my grandmother went through some tough times, but at least she looked lovely doing it!

Thanks for that link and bringing up the subject. I haven't seen House of Elliott, but I know where you are coming from...sigh

Jeannette and I were saying lately that we'd love to do another group read with you.

message 4: by Gabriele (new)

Oooo, I love that one too, Sarah! I downloaded photos of a whole bunch of dresses for my research, and that was one of my favourites. I see that my other link isn't working, so shall try to put it up again. http://www.vintagetextile.com/1920s_t...

Yes, I think a group read for the fall would be fun! Things have just been a little crazy lately, and I haven't kept up with anything!!!!

I'll ask for suggestions.

message 5: by SarahC (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 220 comments Life certainly takes priority, doesn't it Gabriele? I'll be looking forward to it any time you get a break in the craziness! I will look at that other link also!

message 6: by Gabriele (new)

I found this clip on YouTube delightful - gives you some idea of how those dresses shimmered, although the underskirt wouldn't have been slit so high. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-UrGp...

Hmm, I should see "Thoroughly Modern Millie" again.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw Thoroughly Modern Millie in the movie theater -- I was 11. I can't remember who I went with! I do remember the movie and still hum that tune every so often. Lovely dresses, Gabriele.

Hi Sarah! ;)

message 8: by Gabriele (new)

I watched the entire "Millie" on YouTube last week. The beginning is particularly indicative of the revolutionary change in fashion and morals. Watch Julie Andrews shed her Edwardian past in this clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJrQUz...

message 9: by Jamie (last edited Jun 05, 2011 06:00PM) (new)

Jamie  (jaymers8413) Gabriele wrote: "I watched the entire "Millie" on YouTube last week. The beginning is particularly indicative of the revolutionary change in fashion and morals. Watch Julie Andrews shed her Edwardian past in this c..."

I was wondering what movie this was. A picture of Julie Andrews was in a book I read for another group (Fashion Book Lovers!) so I will have to share this link there with credit to you! Thanks Gabriele! I love your other links too and am going share them!

message 10: by Gabriele (new)

That's great, Jamie!

message 11: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie Gabriele wrote: "I just finished the fascinating history Flapper: A Madcap Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women Who Made America Modern (Hardcover), and have been researching 1920s fashions. ..."

Thanks for posting the links to antiquedress.com and vintagetextile.com!

Much to drool over in the beautiful dresses, if only any of them came close to fitting me.

message 12: by Gabriele (new)

But we can imagine what they must have been like to wear!

message 13: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie Man, I would have slinked and shimmied everywhere it was possible to do so. And those straight lines are actually very flattering to a variety of body types.

The elegant fashions of the past are so beautiful; then I think of the advantages of wash and wear and get over it.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 43 comments My grandmother was a flapper, and had the figure for it.

message 15: by Gabriele (new)

Best of both worlds if we can enjoy some of that style in modern fabrics! I have a couple of skirts that I consider flapper style and love wearing them.