[asmb] Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Jamie (JK) (eimajtl) | 703 comments Mod
Does the stupidity of people online ever want to make you just bang your head on a desk repeatedly until you don't realize how stupid they are?

... I'm feeling that way right now. >_<

message 2: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
In fact yes, I have a sign that my mom bought me that I put and keep over my desk. It reads " Stress: the confusion created when the mind must over ride the bodies basic desire to choke the living veal out if some idiot who desperately deserves it!"

It helps to remind me that most people I come across will piss me off, yet luckily I can't kill them through the computer no matter how much I might want too.

message 3: by Lildreamelf (new)

Lildreamelf | 81 comments see, this is why i rarely visit the internet at night. i just don't have time to choke a b@#$% anymore.

message 4: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

@Dian

Very nice sign! I'm not even pissed off at what I read, I'm literally dumbfounded. I just don't understand how some people think.

@Elf

It happens at all times of the day unfortunately. Also, does this mean you have time to choke one during the morning?

message 5: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
I always try to have time to choke a bitch, shame on ya elf for not making time. Tsk Tsk.

message 6: by Katt_goddess (new)

Katt_goddess | 267 comments There are some levels of stupid that there is no surface solid enough to kill. It just gets in too deep for your average blunt-force trauma to take down.

message 7: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

Glodson | 235 comments Mod
Stupidity in general gets to me. I watch enough news to realize that it isn't just limited to the internet.

What, in particular, are you finding stupid?

message 8: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

There's a user trying to help another user in F/S S and... their troubleshooting skills just really need some work.

They're basically asking if the animal is a giraffe and when they are told "no" they assume it's a whale. It's just very painful to watch - even if it is someone trying to be helpful.

message 9: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

Wait, what?

So.... any animal that isn't a giraffe is a whale?

message 10: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

It's an analogy to the troubleshooting the person is doing. They asked a question and when it wasn't what they thought it would be they jumped to a ridiculous and unfounded solution, well, cause in this case.

It's the thread about the user with the html problems with their account if that'd be easier to understand.

message 11: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

Oh, I was looking forward to some stupidity, outside of the normal kind I encounter.

Many people make my head hurt as I try to figure out what insane thing they are saying.

Seriously, why do I think that people approach fallacies as great ways to build arguments? Because they do.

message 12: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

But this is outside the normal kind - it's someone trying to be helpful, not some moron sticking to some random little sound bite they heard on the radio.

That's why I don't go into serious threads that often. I tried glancing at that thread in Rants about Dr Laura something... it... I don't have a large enough vocabulary to describe how stupid it is.

message 13: by Lildreamelf (new)

Lildreamelf | 81 comments @JK - depends on whether or not its work related choking.

@Dian - aw, c'mon! i'm basking in maternal glory right now. cut me some slack. i've been choking b@#$%es for years. its time someone else stepped up a bit.

message 14: by Nora aka Diva, The Diva Mod (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) | 391 comments Mod
JK wrote: "Does the stupidity of people online ever want to make you just bang your head on a desk repeatedly until you don't realize how stupid they are?

... I'm feeling that way right now. >_<"

Sometimes but right now I am still feeling the effects of my own stupidity.

message 15: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

JK wrote: "But this is outside the normal kind - it's someone trying to be helpful, not some moron sticking to some random little sound bite they heard on the radio.

Don't go there. I have, and it is incredibly stupid. I can't even believe that it is a discussion. But some people will grasp at any straw in order to legitimize using a slur.

message 16: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Lildreamelf wrote: "

@Dian - aw, c'mon! i'm basking in maternal glory right now. cut me some slack. i've been choking b@#$%es for years. its time someone e..."

Being a mom doesn't cut ya any slack missy. Dont be going all soft on me. =P

message 17: by Lildreamelf (new)

Lildreamelf | 81 comments Party pooper. :(

message 18: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

Lildreamelf wrote: "Party pooper. :("

Hey, we talk about poop enough at home.

message 19: by Dian, Crazy Nooooob Mod! :D (new)

Dian | 440 comments Mod
Haha what is it with men being squeamish about poop. Babys poop, you have to clean it, its not the end of the world. My brother in law has the biggest poop aversion I have ever seen

message 20: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (last edited Aug 27, 2010 10:55AM) (new)

Glodson wrote: "JK wrote: "But this is outside the normal kind - it's someone trying to be helpful, not some moron sticking to some random little sound bite they heard on the radio.

Don't go there. I have, and i..."

I read a few pages and had to just close the tab before I read anymore of the stupid that was in there.

... I don't think it was about wanting to use a slur, though. It was more so a commentary on how it's stupid that there are words that can only be used by certain ethnicities.

I have no desire to use the slur, or any slur for that matter, but I think it's dumb that even if a white person mentions the slur in question (even if they are referencing what someone said) it's seen (by anyone) as some horrible act of racism.

message 21: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

I think the main problem is that the impetuous of this whole discussion was Dr. Laura, and how she used it. She used it for shock value alone, and said other racially charged things, in response to a caller that was feeling uncomfortable with the things her husband's friends were saying.

Dr. Laura could have discussed this, and said the dreaded "n-word," with a nice neutral tone to explore how different people approach the word, the context in which it is used, and so on. Instead, she just used this as a platform to say something dumb.

Which is sad, because it is a topic that should be addressed. And I've said it often, context matters. It always matters. If we were to discuss, for example, many works by Twain, the word would come up. And given that time in history, it wouldn't have been seen as a slur. The context is different. In this case, Dr Laura, in the context of the circumstances, was used a racially charged word inappropriately. Her use of the word was just stupid, but she did add a few racist thoughts with it as well.

The tl;dr version is: it is always the context of the statement that matters most, but the case being argued as being "correct" ignores the context, and the overreaching feelings of many people, regarding the word.

message 22: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Maybe it's different when you listen to it - since tone of voice and all that plays a part - but it didn't seem that much of a shock value thing to me just reading it. Though the lady is kind of crazy since she went out in a random rant which was completely opposite of what the caller was asking for.

Yes, the context is the thing that'll change how the word is received... or at least should.

message 23: by Glodson, MIA Mod (new)

I think the bit that bothered me the most was when she said something to the effect of "if you don't have a thick skin, don't marry outside of your race."

I don't know this woman that called in, and she doesn't either. But that comment doesn't address the issue, which is that her white husband's friends were saying racially charged things that bothered her. You can do that without one ethnic slur. If it were that those guys were making fun of the woman's religion, height, or some other feature, I doubt the reply would have been "if you have don't have thick skin, don't marry outside your size range, or religion, or something."

The more I think about, the more disingenuous the response seems, and the more contrived it appears to me.

message 24: by Jamie (JK), Houdini Mod (new)

Yeah, that's a pretty crappy response for the question the woman had. It takes away from the issue at hand and points the blame at the caller. Not to mention how wrong the actual statement is itself.