The Strain discussion

Now I want to read #2!!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments I'm assuming you are finished? You were at least a day ahead of me. It has been years since I read something so creepy! I really liked the twist at the end with the others and now I'm itching to pick up the second one.

I thought the physical description of The Master sounded alot like Harry Potter's Voldemort...smooth, slits for nostrils, claw like hands. Very evil.

I noticed quite a few spelling/grammar errors, but I was reading the ARC so hopefully they caught them in editing.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, you're right! I hadn't thought of Voldemort!! Ewwwwww. Yea, I noticed the errors too and just attributed them to the arc. I ordered the second book from the Vine program and it should be here this week. I want to read it! :) Should we continue on?

This is such a good way to read old arcs, LOL! What other ones do we have in common sitting around?

message 3: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments Yes!!! Let me know when you get it and want to get started!

I bet we have TONS! What are you thinking of starting next? I have The Magicians here and haven't started it yet, have you? Too bad our timing was just a bit off for The Hypnotist. Do you have The Dead Travel Fast by Deanna Raybourn...I haven't read it yet and it is a stand alone, not the Julia Grey series.

I have a huge backlog sitting here and so haven't really been accepting new stuff. The only thing for September is What Alice Knew for Sourcebooks. It hooked me because it is about Henry James, his sister Alice (who had a very sad real life)and Jack the Ripper. And it is supposed to be funny. Have to see for myself how the author managed that! I did jump on Helen Hollick's new one from Sourcebooks, The Forever Queen, no way I could resist that one. I'd be happy to join you in some classics, too. I need a kick in the butt to do those!

I have doubles of some that I could send you if you don't have them (picked up several duplicates at BEA....when are you going to grace us with your presence there, by the way?) :) Oooh, oooh, I have an extra of Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly (out in October)...sounds really good. Also The Wolves of Andover by Kathleen Kent (out in November).

message 4: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments This is totally off topic but I just got into Vine! I used to add all my reviews but stopped because I never got invited. I was just over there adding some more and clicked on the vine voice logo (on your page)...and they gave me the join screen. Very exciting. Execpt there is nothing to ask for...guess everything has been snapped up. I have more than I can read, anyway. If you have any words of wisdom about Vine, send them my way plz!!

message 5: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments Oh, and I have the entire Flashman series that I haven't read yet...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG - LOL, I am just cracking up reading about these books.

Yes, I just read The Magicians last month (I loved it, though!). I'm just finishing the Hypnotist now. Meh.

Let's see....I was all about the Hollick book, too, so we should read that one together for sure. I have a Raybourn book here, but it's the new one in the Lady Julia series.

What's Revolution about????

Vine....wait for the "leftovers" to come out which should be in another week or so. There's usually about 10 pages worth of books. You can have three at a time, then you have to write the Ammy reviews before you can get more. It's a pretty nice set up, actually. The primary Vine list comes out on the 3rd Thursday of each month, but about a week after the "left over" list comes out and there's always tons more to choose from then. It's a great way to review with no pressure, which I love.

And seriously....you have the WHOLE Flashman series???? I am so impressed!! I have been slowly collecting them for my husband who loves them....I have four so far, but I haven't read them yet. We should start a Flashman Club! :)

message 7: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments I bought them all at library book sales over the years, so they are in various states of disrepair...but I have them! Hope I like them when I eventually get around to reading them.

Jennifer Donnelly is a favorite! She started out writing YA, haven't read those, but her two adult novels are HF and fantastic...The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose. I loved them both, definitely recommend them (they are a series, gotta read them in order!). Anyway, the new one is a YA but getting tons of buzz. Here's the blub from her website:

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

message 8: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments I have Stephen Lawhead's Hood around here somewhere, we could do those...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Oooh, they both sound like fun. Okay, I'm going to set up a Flashman Club this week for us online for kicks and giggles...I'd love to make my way through that series.

We need our own little reading club, lol. One month you get to pick it, the next month I do, etc. (Cause I just laughed out loud when I thought of setting up a poll for just two people to vote on....geez, I need more coffee this morning). So it's all you: you wanna read the sequel to The Strain next? :)

message 10: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments Yes, please! It is sitting here calling for me to pick it up, it is taking all my restraint to leave it there!!

Be glad to send you Revolution if you think it sounds interesting...

Are you flying in Sept? I'm gonna be in DEN, ORD & TPA all month...one of these days our paths should cross somewhere!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Can you believe I have 25 days off in September (vacation month, yay!)???? When are you going to be in ORD? I'm based there now so I'm in and out of that place about 10 times a day it seems like, LOL. Email me your ORD times and I'll buy you lunch!

My copy of the second book hasn't arrived from Vine yet (probably will get here today, AFTER I leave for my commute to ORD), so start without me! This is only a 3 day trip for me so I'll be back on Friday night and it will be waiting for me. :)

I'll reimburse you for postage on the Revolution book if you feel up to sending it.....zap me an email!

message 12: by Carey (new)

Carey (thetometraveller) | 27 comments Carey wrote: "Oh, and I have the entire Flashman series that I haven't read yet..."

Whoops, told a little fib, have the first ten, missing eleven & twelve. More than enough to get started tho!