A History of Royals discussion

Archive - Group Reads > GR Nominations: October/November 2010

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 1550 comments Mod
Believe it or not, it is already time to open up the nomination process for October/November. As per the new rules, members can nominate both fiction and non-fiction books and there is no longer a one book limit. Let's see what we come up with for the next reading experience.

message 2: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Jennifer (jennifertudor) | 726 comments Mod
Sigh... I have to give this one some thought lol

message 3: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

I know, between the two groups it seems as if we are always nominating, lol.

message 4: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

LOL The three groups now!

message 5: by Kate. (new)

Kate. | 174 comments UM...

message 6: by Kate. (last edited Aug 23, 2010 05:21PM) (new)

message 7: by Kate. (new)

Kate. | 174 comments Whats the third one ?

message 8: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Kate. wrote: "Whats the third one ?"

Everyone's Choice
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/8...

message 9: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

I'm halfway finished this one and I'd love to finish it with the group (Sorry Colleen...) Elizabeth & Leicester: Power, Passion, Politics Sarah Gristwood (non-fiction)

Hmmm... and since some of us are reading it anyway, Lancaster and York: The Wars of the Roses

Trying not to add to my list... lol

message 10: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

That is always the dilemma, is it not, Jennifer. And you are right, there are three now.

Kate - I can't believe you are not in Everyone's Choice. You have to join. And I would totally go for The Kitchen Boy.

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (avery123) | 12 comments I'd like to add Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey if it hasn't already been done.

message 12: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Thanks Jenny, it hasn't been done in this group before.

message 13: by Kate. (last edited Aug 24, 2010 02:00AM) (new)

Kate. | 174 comments Lyn M wrote: "That is always the dilemma, is it not, Jennifer. And you are right, there are three now.

Kate - I can't believe you are not in Everyone's Choice. You have to join. And I would totally go for Th..."

Ive joined this one. Whats wrong with me !!!!!!!!

Yeah i thought a different genre after Sunne would be good especially if we do War of the Roses too !!
Then again im probably overloading....arrrragggghhh

Jenny, Innocent Traitor is a great read !!!

message 14: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Jenny wrote: "I'd like to add Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey if it hasn't already been done."

This is a fantastic book!

message 15: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Kate. wrote: "Lyn M wrote: "That is always the dilemma, is it not, Jennifer. And you are right, there are three now.

Kate - I can't believe you are not in Everyone's Choice. You have to join. And I would t..."

I know. I feel like I've got so much 'Tudormania' going on over here right now... I am not only still reading E & L (ignoring it for Shanghai Girls at the moment) but also have Wives, War of the Roses and Sunne in the line up... I think I need some good chick-lit soon...

message 16: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

That's what I think, too, Kate. I have my Tudormania, my Royalty mania, and then my everything else. So far it is a good balance.

message 17: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 174 comments Jennifer, when I feel overloaded, I always delve into Bridget Jones's Diary LOL.

Innocent Traitor is a fantastic book!!! I'm trying to come up with nominations. I'm attempting to find some shorter books LOL

message 18: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

I know, Aly, I am still looking also. Can't decide what I want to do next.

message 19: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

Please, please, please, no more bricks!
Thanks Aly... Bridget Jones sounds like exactly what I need!

message 20: by Allie (last edited Aug 25, 2010 11:17AM) (new)

Allie (themusingsofabookjunkie) | 63 comments I have three suggestions. I am undecided on what would be best!
The first one is The Eagle and the Raven. This is a book about Boudica, and the Ancient English. Its a little on the large size, but looks super interesting.
The second is The Commoner. It was nominated last time, and it piqued my interest.
The third is Lavinia. Its a story of Lavinia, the princess who married Aeneas. This looks like a good book!

message 21: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Great recommendations Allison. I really want to read The Commoneer and the others look good, too.

message 22: by Kate. (new)

Kate. | 174 comments Jennifer, i need some serious chick lit, i checked my shelves and im sad to say i hardly have any...aaarrg
I need some fluff ! Any suggestions ladies ?

The The Commoner sounds excellent. I would love to read a royal book from a completely different culuture, it will be an interesting comparison to the European courts so i add that as another vote.

message 23: by Kate. (last edited Aug 26, 2010 04:40PM) (new)

Kate. | 174 comments Can i add another ?? That would mean 3 votes ??

Im not sure if this one qualifies Pope Joan in royalty.

Its not a brick so it has added appeal :)

message 24: by Jenny (last edited Aug 26, 2010 05:55PM) (new)

Jenny (avery123) | 12 comments I have another couple I'd like to submit : Taj: A Story of Mughal India or Beneath a Marble Sky

message 25: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

I've heard great things about Beneath a Marble Sky, Jenny. Haven't heard of the other one, but it looks interesting.

message 26: by Kate. (new)

Kate. | 174 comments Beneath a Marble Sky does sound good, i love books set in India

message 27: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Colleen (nightoleander) | 345 comments Mod
Aly wrote: "Jennifer, when I feel overloaded, I always delve into Bridget Jones's Diary LOL.

Innocent Traitor is a fantastic book!!! I'm trying to come up with nominations. I'm attempting to find some short..."

Jennifer, Good in Bed is huge but a really fast read and great chick-lit! I loved Bridget Jones's Diary, both were good and so were the movies.

message 28: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

I digress though, I will have to peruse my bookshelves before I come up with a nomination.

message 29: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

I think I will nominate The Borgia Bride: A Novel by Jeanne Kalogridis

message 30: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

I would like to second that Lyn!

message 31: by Tina (last edited Aug 27, 2010 01:59AM) (new)

Tina I've recently bought this book and would love to read it with a group. . .

Child of the Morning by Pauline Gedge

Listen to this description, you'll be as hooked as I was. . .
Thirty-five hundred years ago a woman sat on the throne of the Pharoahs of Egypt. She was Hatshepsut, chosen by her father to follow him -- in defiance of the royal male succession -- as ruler of the vast kingdom.

CHILD OF THE MORNING tells the story of this brilliant and beautiful woman, who wore the kilts of a man and the regalia of a king. Her 22-year reign was one of superb administration, exploration, peace and the beautification of her empire. Yet dark forces were at work to destroy her and erase her name from history.

Sounds good, huh?

message 32: by Tina (new)

Tina Allison wrote: "I have three suggestions. I am undecided on what would be best!
The first one is The Eagle and the Raven. This is a book about Boudica, and the Ancient English. Its a little on the l..."

Oooooo Allison, I didn't notice that you nominated a P Gedge novel too! She looks like such an interesting author! I recently bought Child of the Morning (the book I nominated) and can't wait to read it.

message 33: by Tina (new)

Tina Kate. wrote: "Can i add another ?? That would mean 3 votes ??

Im not sure if this one qualifies Pope Joan in royalty.

Its not a brick so it has added appeal :)"

Good one Kate. I've got Pope Joan in my tbr pile too!

message 34: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 1 comments I would like to also vote for the Borgia Bride!

message 35: by Allie (new)

Allie (themusingsofabookjunkie) | 63 comments Ohhhhh! The Child of the Morning sounds great too! I have a copy of Beneath a Marble Sky that has been waiting on me.
I have read The Borgia Bride. Its a nice read! I love all of Kalogridis' work that I have read!
Tina, maybe we could do a PG buddy read. All of her novels sound awesome!

message 36: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

Tina wrote: "I've recently bought this book and would love to read it with a group. . .

Child of the Morning by Pauline Gedge

Listen to this description, you'll be as hooked as ..."

Tina - that books sounds fantastic. I haven't read anything by Pauline Gedge, but I am eager to try. Good nomination.

message 37: by Colleen, The Enforcer/Mod #2 (new)

Child of the Morning sounds awesome! Great nomination.

message 38: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 174 comments These are all great!! I'm drawing a blank this go around. It doesn't feel like it should be nomination time already!!

message 39: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

I know. That said, I am closing off the nominations at the end of the week. I will post the poll over the weekend, so nominate away peeps.

message 40: by Lyn (Readinghearts), The mod of last resort/Mod #3 (new)

And the winner is.........The Borgia Bride: A Novel by Jeanne Kalogridis. Hope everyone likes it. I have set up the group read thread under Italian Rulers.

message 41: by Jennifer, Group Founder/Mod #1 (new)

I'm so excited! There's two books this month and I've already read them both. That never happens to me :D

message 42: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie Sambuco | 20 comments I am reading The Borgia Bride: A Novel and enjoying it tremendously. I did read The Devil's Queen A Novel of Catherine de Medici by Jeanne Kalogridis also by Jeanne Kalogridis. These are my first books on Italian historical fiction.

message 43: by Kara (new)

Kara (karasmannequin) | 10 comments Jenny wrote: "I'd like to add Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey if it hasn't already been done."

That's a wonderful book, I would agree with that suggestion most definitely. Plus, oftne Lady Jane's an often forgotten about character admist the turmoil of English history during the Tudors.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I think that book is on my TBR list, so I'm in if we're reading that :)