EA and Beyond Book Club discussion

Discussions Past 2010 > The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (last edited Sep 03, 2010 09:52AM) (new)

Nicole Cavallaro (ncavallaro) | 23 comments Mod
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Rebecca Skloot

OMG! Seriously, I finished my other book last night, picked this one up and now I'm enthralled! I normally don't read non-fiction so enjoying this book this much has taken me by surprise.

So far my only complaint is that I feel like I can feel Henrietta's pain and I find myself laying in bed wincing while I read about how they covered her cervix with radium. What a brave woman!

message 2: by Nicole (new)

I thought you might enjoy looking at other information on the book if you have finished it, or even if you have not. It is no surprise where the story is going and I'm overwhelmed by the amount of topics we can discuss here. Here is a list off the top of my head to get your mind going.

Ethics
Genetics
Rights to property
Experimentation Ethics
Science in a free market
Poverty
Health Care
Informed Consent
Race relations
Family

And I'm sure there is much much more we could talk about. I look forward to your comments!

http://rebeccaskloot.com/
http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/di...

message 3: by Nicole (new)

I'm thinking for Saturday that I'll be pulling out some recipes from my Mama Dip's Kitchen cookbook. A popular place to eat in North Carolina, I'm sure I can rustle up a few recipes that will make us feel like we are are in the south. I look forward to seeing you guys on Saturday!

message 4: by Nicole (new)

I think that the overall feeling was that the discussion was good and the book was pretty awesome. Many of us liked the science part and the story of the early family better than the conclusion, but from there we had mixed feelings.

I think Sarah said it best when she said that we could probably spend the next year discussing the topics in this book. Very true and we did for about two hours. Thanks to everyone who came or wanted to! Feel free to continue the discussion if you have any input!