Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Quotes!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,660 (1660 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 33 34

Maria [the clockwork creeps on useless lives] (mariachhile) | 8772 comments Mod
I believe that many of us love quotes, so here you can post them. Knock yourself out!

Tesssss cool story broo | 527 comments "Fez's are cool."
If you don't know who said that, then you are not worthy of knowing who said that!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

"You used to be much more muchier. You've lost your muchness."-The Mad Hatter.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

This is a little preview of an upcoming rant.

"Giving a kid summer homework is like saying: 'Hey, have fun on your school-free three months! Oh, but take the worst part of school with you. Here's your assignment--try not to kill anyone in your rage.'"

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Maxy wrote: "This is a little preview of an upcoming rant.

"Giving a kid summer homework is like saying: 'Hey, have fun on your school-free three months! Oh, but take the worst part of school with you. Here'..."

That is epic beyond epic.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Why, thank you!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

You are welcome.

"We're the kings so bring the bling WOOT WOOT!"-the Kingsford cheer.

Loooooong story.

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments "Names is for tombstones, baby."-Mr. Big, Live and Let Die

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh my. XD

This is what a director said at EFY (a week-long youth activity for my church) when he was telling us the rules of campus and stuff:

"Now we have the No-No's... which is a double-negative, so if you're an English major, it actually means Yes-Yes."

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I just barely said this on another topic. Mehehehe.

"Dear Summer Homework-

One project and one essay left. I AM KILLING YOU DEAD!!!

-Maxy, your worst nightmare"

Tesssss cool story broo | 527 comments "We got the gold silver bronze WHAT!!!"

blacksmiths shop, week 2 2009, Muskoka woods

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Maxy wrote: "Oh my. XD

This is what a director said at EFY (a week-long youth activity for my church) when he was telling us the rules of campus and stuff:

"Now we have the No-No's... which is a double-ne..."

That's a wonderful thing to say when you're explaining the rules.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Maxy wrote: "I just barely said this on another topic. Mehehehe.

"Dear Summer Homework-

One project and one essay left. I AM KILLING YOU DEAD!!!

-Maxy, your worst nightmare""

I'm making an addition to that:

"AND CASSIE IS EATING YOUR FACE"

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

LOST QUOTES!

"Dude, I am starving, but I am no where near hungry enough to eat that."-Hurley

"You're not going to eat those leaves, are you?"-Jack
"Dude, these aren't for eating."-Hurley

(Sawyer needed reading glasses, so they had to fuse two separate pairs together and it looked really stupid on him.)

"It looks like Harry Potter got steamrolled."-Hurley

message 15: by Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (last edited Aug 23, 2010 04:08PM) (new)

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments JAWS QUOTES! YAY!

-Brody"We're gonna need a bigger boat."

Hooper-"This was no boating accident!"

Quint: Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

Quint: This shark, swallow you whole.

Mayor Vaughn: Fellows, let's be reasonable, huh? This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock.

Mayor Vaughn: Martin, it's all psychological. You yell barracuda, everybody says, "Huh? What?" You yell shark, we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July.

Hooper: You were on the Indianapolis?
Brody: What happened?
Quint: Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, Chief? You tell by looking from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know, it was kinda like old squares in the battle like you see in the calendar named "The Battle of Waterloo" and the idea was: shark comes to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday morning, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up, down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon, the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us. He swung in low and he saw us... he was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and he come in low and three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and starts to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened... waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.

Quint: [the Orca, their boat, is clearly sinking with water all over the deck, Quint hands Brody a small hand pump:] Pump it out Chief!

Hooper: [Hooper attempts to wet his mask before Quint and Brody lower him in the shark cage:] I got no spit.

[Hooper is examining the remains of the first victim - describes the post-mortem into his tape recorder:]
Hooper: The height and weight of the victim can only be estimated from the partial remains. The torso has been severed in mid-thorax; there are no major organs remaining...
Hooper: Right arm has been severed above the elbow with massive tissue loss in the upper musculature... partially denuded bone remaining...
Hooper: [to the m.e. and Brody:] This was no boat accident!
Hooper: [to Brody:] Did you notify the Coast Guard about this?
Brody: No. It was only local jurisdiction.
Hooper: [continues post-mortem:] The left arm, head, shoulders, sternum and portions of the rib cage are intact...
Hooper: [to Brody:] Do not smoke in here, thank you very much.
Hooper: [lifts up the severed arm:] This is what happens. It indicates the non-frenzied feeding of a large squalus - possibly Longimanus or Isurus glauca. Now... the enormous amount of tissue loss prevents any detailed analysis; however the attacking squalus must be considerably larger than any normal squalus found in these waters. Didn't you get on a boat and check out these waters?
Brody: No.
Hooper: Well, this is not a boat accident! And it wasn't any propeller; and it wasn't any coral reef; and it wasn't Jack the Ripper! It was a shark.

Brody: Is it true that most people get attacked by sharks in three feet of water about ten feet from the beach?
Hooper: Yeah.
Brody: And that... and that before people started to swim for recreation - I mean before sharks knew what they were missing - that a lot of these attacks weren't reported?
Hooper: That's right.
Brody: Now this shark that... that... that swims alone...
Hooper: Rogue.
Brody: What's it called?
Hooper, Brody: [together:] Rogue.
Brody: Rogue, yeah. Now this guy, he... he keeps swimmin' around in a place where the feeding is good until the food supply is gone, right?
Hooper: It's called "territoriality". It's just a theory that I happen to... agree with.
Brody: Then why don't we have one more drink and go down and cut that shark open?
Ellen Brody: Martin? Can you do that?
Brody: I can do anything; I'm the chief of police.

Ben Gardner: When we get them silly bastards down in that rock pile, it'll be some fun, they'll wish their fathers had never met their mothers. When they start takin' their bottoms out and slamming into them rocks, boy! Get away from there, ya goddamn fool, you! What's the matter with you? You wanna swamp us, ya crazy son of a bitch?

Hooper: Hello.
Ben Gardner: Hello back... young feller. How are ya? Say I hope you not going out with those nuts, are ya?

Christine 'Chrissie' Watkins: Come on into the water!

[first lines:]
Tom Cassidy: What's your name again?
Christine 'Chrissie' Watkins: Chrissie.
Tom Cassidy: Where are we going?
Christine 'Chrissie' Watkins: Swimming

Ellen Brody: [to Chief Brody:] You told me the shark was caught. And I, I heard it on the news... I heard it on the Cape station.
Hooper: They caught A shark, not THE shark. Big difference. Not the shark that killed Chrissie Watkins... and probably not the shark that killed the little boy... which I wanted to prove today, by cutting the shark open...
[sees the Chief pouring the wine he brought:]
Hooper: you know, you oughta let that breathe a little
[sees the massive glass the Chief has poured:]
Hooper: - nothing, nothing!

[last lines:]
Brody: What day is this?
Hooper: It's Wednesday... eh, it's Tuesday, I think.
Brody: Think the tide's with us?
Hooper: Keep kicking.
Brody: I used to hate the water...
Hooper: I can't imagine why.

Share this quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mayor Vaughn: And what did you say the name of this shark is?
Hooper: It's a carcaradon carcharias. It's a Great White

Quint: [before leaving dock:] Break it up will ya', Chief! Daylight's wastin'.

Quint: [trying to hurry Brody into the boat:] Come on Chief, this isn't no boy scout picnic. See ya' got ya' rubbers!
[Quint laughs wildly:]

Quint: [talking Brody through making knots:] Little brown eel comes out of the cave... Swims into the hole... Comes out of the hole... Goes back into the cave again... It's not too good is it Chief?
[Refering to Brody's messed up knot:]

Hooper: [motioning to Brody to get closer to the barrels:] Come on Martin! Move, move, move!
Brody: I'm not going out there!
Hooper: Beyond the edge of the barrels, go to the end of the barrels! Further out!
Brody: What?
Hooper: Further out!
Brody: Why?
Hooper: Go further out!
Brody: What for?
Hooper: Will you go to the end of the pulpit, please?
Brody: What?
Hooper: Will you just please go to the end of the pulpit!
Brody: What for?
Hooper: I need to have something in the foreground to give it some scale.
Brody: Foreground, my ass!

Hooper: Ha, ha - they're all gonna die.

Hooper: That's a twenty footer.
Quint: Twenty-five. Three tons of him.

Hooper: This was no boat accident.

Quint: You have city hands, Mr. Hooper. You been countin' money all your life.
Hooper: All right, all right. Hey, I don't need this... I don't need this working-class-hero crap.

Brody: You're gonna need a bigger boat.

Brody: It doesn't make any sense when you pay a guy like you to watch sharks.
Hooper: Well, uh, it doesn't make much sense for a guy who hates the water to live on an island either.
Brody: It's only an island if you look at it from the water.
Hooper: That makes a lot of sense.

Hooper: [trying to get the fishing line secure:] It may be a marlin or a stingray... but it's definitely a game fish.
[Hooper pulls as the lines snaps and he crashes his head into the wall:]
Quint: [picking up the line:] Gamin' fish, eh? Marlin? Stingray? Bit through this piano wire? Don't you tell me my business again! You get back on the bridge...
Hooper: Quint, that doesn't prove a damn thing!
Quint: Well it proves one thing, Mr. Hooper. It proves that you wealthy college boys don't have the education enough to admit when you're wrong.
[Quint enters the cabin as Hooper makes faces at him:]
Brody: [following Quint inside the boat:] What's the point? Hooks and lines...
Quint: [slams on the roof at Hooper:] Hooper! 12 minutes south south east now, full throttle!
Hooper: [Mocking Pirate Voice:] Aye, aye, sir! AYE JIMBOY ARAGHHH!
Quint: [to Brody:] See what I do, Chief, is I trick 'em to the surface. And I jab at 'em. I'm not gonna haul 'em up like a lot of catfish.
[slams on the roof:]
Quint: Hooper, full throttle!
Hooper: [voice imitating W. C. Fields:] I don't have to take this abuse much longer!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

POTC quotes:

"Why is the rum gone?!"-Captain Jack Sparrow
"One, because it is a vile drink that turns even the most respectable gentlemen into complete scoundrels, two, that signal is over a thousand feet high. The entire Royal Navy is out searching for me. Do you think there is even the slightest chance they won't see it?"-Elizabeth Swann
"BUT WHY IS THE RUM GONE?!"-Captain Jack Sparrow

"Nobody move! I dropped me brain."-Jack Sparrow

message 17: by Madeline (new)

Madeline ahh i love PotC

message 18: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE <3 (I censored it, of course.)

"You know what? F*** beauty contests. Life is one f***ing beauty contest after another. School, then college, then work... F*** that. And f*** the Air Force Academy. If I want to fly, I'll find a way to fly. You do what you love, and f*** the rest." -Dwayne

YAY. I don't know what inspires me so much about that quote. But it does. It's probably more inspirational in context though ... XD

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments From The Byrne Identity.

p#1:Here, have a cupcake.
P#2:ohmygosh, i looooove cupcakes!
p#1:Here, have a pony.
p#2:ohnygosh, i looooove ponies!
p#1:I love you.
p#2:I love you too.
p#1:No you dont, b****, you love cupcakes and ponies!

message 20: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

- Macbeth :D

message 21: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 22636 comments Mod
Read this in an overly dramatic British accent in your head.

What the hammer?
What the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?

Now tell me that you aren't laughing.

message 22: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

I'M NOT LAUGHING.

Heh heh just kidding.

message 23: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

DR. HORRIBLE QUOTES.

Penny: You're not really interested in the homeless, are you?
Dr. Horrible: No, I am, but... it's a symptom. You're treating a symptom while the disease rages on, consumes the human race. The fish rots from the head, so they say. So I'm thinking, why not cut off the head?
Penny: [pause:] Of the human race?
Dr. Horrible: It's not a... perfect metaphor.

Dr. Horrible: What a crazy random happenstance!

Dr. Horrible: Oh, look at my wrist, I have to go.

message 24: by Elliott (new)

*laughs at the first one really hard*
*takes a second to get the third one and then laughs at how stupid she is*

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Jordan, the Picture Magician (aka Probie) wrote: "From The Byrne Identity.

p#1:Here, have a cupcake.
P#2:ohmygosh, i looooove cupcakes!
p#1:Here, have a pony.
p#2:ohnygosh, i looooove ponies!
p#1:I love you.
p#2:I love you too.
p#1:No y..."

*cracks up*

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Person 1: Your mom!
Person 2: Your mom!
Person 1: Your mom's mom!
Person 2: *death glare*
Person 1: Is beautiful?

message 27: by Elliott (new)

Can we pretend that school desks in the classroom are like mattreses? I could really use a nap right now, nap right now, nap right now.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Hannah Lovin' Pirate (Lavendarlol) wrote: "Can we pretend that school desks in the classroom are like mattreses? I could really use a nap right now, nap right now, nap right now."

HAHAHAHAHA!

message 29: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

HA! That's brilliant. XD

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm still laughing at that. I'm so slap-happy.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Hannah Lovin' Pirate (Lavendarlol) wrote: "Can we pretend that school desks in the classroom are like mattreses? I could really use a nap right now, nap right now, nap right now."

That made me actually lol XD

Tesssss cool story broo | 527 comments Hannah Lovin' Pirate (Lavendarlol) wrote: "Can we pretend that school desks in the classroom are like mattreses? I could really use a nap right now, nap right now, nap right now."

hahahahahahahaha

message 33: by Finley (new)

Finley Mac | 334 comments I really hate you now.
-Zap, one of my characters.

message 34: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
Funny thing to believe that the body had been so alive only moments prior—running, living, breathing, fighting for its life. It had been tearing a pathway through the forest shadowed by wolves, fleeing as swiftly as it could upon four legs as demons tore gashes into its flanks. But then it had faltered, had lost its balance on an outcropping of rocks and snapped its own leg. Exhaustion had tired its body, but its mind had run far away from there in fear. It had struggled, bucked and whipped its head about as jaws clamped around its shoulder and ripped into its skin like thin paper. The deer had struggled, screamed, cried, and begged for life against something he could never win against; fate. Fate held within the movement of teeth from shoulder to neck, slashing across the jugular and savagely ripping at the veins. And just like that, something that had fought so harshly to live and breathe –something with a heartbeat that had shuddered to a thundering stop, and blackened the world—had just become animal fodder. Cool eyes inspected the corpse, contemplating on how to handle the gore as his stomach rumbled and his mind yearned for company.

-My character Liam Finlay's thoughts as he looks down upon a deer he'd just killed, wondering where the rest of his wolf pack is. (he's a werewolf/shapeshifter thing that's animal for so long before he can be human again)

message 35: by CheshRCat (last edited Aug 24, 2010 04:37PM) (new)

CheshRCat | 22 comments "Never attack someone in a park when you can attack them with a park." --Darklight by Lesley Livingston.

Jordan, The Picture Magician (aka Probie) (thepicturemagicianakaprobie) | 2218 comments more Jaws quotes!

Mayor Vaughn: Fellows, let's be reasonable, huh? This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock.

-Jaws

My mom is great.

Her reply to a facebook status of mine:

I have been called an IDP by the best of people. Endearingly, I might add. Oooh! Hold on a minute. This darn biforked tail gets caught on EVERYTHING...

message 38: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Hahaha :D
I love my mom's comments on facebook too. She always makes her smilies like this: :0)

message 39: by Libby (new)

Libby (libbyag) Hannah Lovin' Pirate (Lavendarlol) wrote: "Can we pretend that school desks in the classroom are like mattreses? I could really use a nap right now, nap right now, nap right now."
lol :D

Tesssss cool story broo | 527 comments Kriss wrote: "Funny thing to believe that the body had been so alive only moments prior—running, living, breathing, fighting for its life. It had been tearing a pathway through the forest shadowed by wolves, fle..."

What story is that? I wanna read it where is it?

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Maria (aka Chile) wrote: "My mom is great.

Her reply to a facebook status of mine:

I have been called an IDP by the best of people. Endearingly, I might add. Oooh! Hold on a minute. This darn biforked tail gets caught on..."

Lol XD
My mom doesn't have a facebook. My aunts kind of facebook stalk me though.

message 42: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments My parents stalk my facebook. I'm not kidding. It drives me insane!

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Ew I would hate that! It's almost as bad with my aunts though, because then they tell my parents everything >_<

message 44: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Haha. Yeah.

message 45: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

My mom sorta stalks me on facebook. I don't really care though … It's not like I party a lot or anything. :P haha.

message 46: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Yeah. Same. But sometimes I finding it aggravating.

message 47: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Mmhmmmmm.

My mom comments on like every single post. It gets annoying, but sometimes it's amusing.

Brigid, I like your mom's posts on your facebook. :P

message 49: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Maria (aka Chile) wrote: "My mom comments on like every single post. It gets annoying, but sometimes it's amusing.

Brigid, I like your mom's posts on your facebook. :P"

I know! Every post!!!

Wait-does Brigid and Maria know each other in real life?

All the mods are so tight. I love them.

No, we are just facebook friends. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 33 34
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.