Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Et al.....

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Flanagan | 11 comments Et al.
It is a latin phrase (originally Et alia) that means 'and others'
I found it on a book in Worldcat, and am trying to avoid another addition to the Sisyphus' list.
What's the word on this one folks? do I use Et al as a third author? or return various to it's previous standing?
The book in question is here http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/93...
Lemmee know what to do eh?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42441 comments Mod
It's already on the list. It should be removed from all books that have it, and replaced with actual people (when known).

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Flanagan | 11 comments ok, thanks. But if the people aren't known?

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments If no other authors / editors then use Unknown as the author

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Flanagan | 11 comments I was think more along the lines of; having 2 names and Et al after it; we know only of 2 of the authors. I didn't want to arbitrarily chose who is represented. If I don't put Et al, they are then the only authors...

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Not sure how "et al", which groups completely unrelated books, helps. If the other authors are know, add them. If not, not.

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Flanagan | 11 comments kk. Et al is used by Worldcat, ect. It is the same as various.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

On GR, Various is only used when no other author is known. Et al should not be used at all.

message 9: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Flanagan | 11 comments thanks for clearing that up.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Keep in mind that -- until a librarian notices and adds them -- LOTS of books on GR are missing secondary or tertiary (etc.) authors. That's part of the fun when combining editions -- figuring out which ones are really missing secondary authors and adding them. ;)