Books on the Nightstand discussion

Book Specific Discussions > The Three Investigators series

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 41 comments Michael, Ann, I was delighted to hear you mention the Three Investigators series recently. I LOVED that series as a kid. When I interviewed Brett Battles, a thriller writer, for my podcast, he mentioned reading the Three Investigators as a formative experience for him as a kid too.

Jupiter Jones, Pete Crenshaw, and Robert "Bob" Andrews were definitely the first mystery protagonists I read about on a regular basis.

Here's a Wikipedia page about the series - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_In...

A couple of notes re: the facts in the Wikipedia article:

1. Unfortunately, the series is marred in a legal dispute between Random House and the creator's estate. I'd love to see brand-new editions available.

2. There was a revamped series that launched in 1989. I remember seeing those books in bookstores, but I was suspicious if they were any good or not "In 1989, Random House revamped the series, calling it The 3 Investigators — Crimebusters Series. The investigators were now 17 years old, could drive and were far more independent. The stories continued to contain an abundance of detecting, but with the addition of more action."

I'd love to hear from anyone else who read this series as a kid.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
thanks for the clarification Jeff. I guess I didn't read far enough into the Wikipedia entry!

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 41 comments Michael, I loved that you mentioned the series. Now, did you ever read The Mushroom Planet series by any chance? Science fiction for kids. I loved those too - from the same period.

Also, thanks for the DMZ recommendation, I picked up the first two trade paperbacks this weekend.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
have not heard of Mushroom Planet. The only sci-fi series for kids that I remember reading was the Tripod Trilogy by John Christopher.

message 5: by Flora (new)

Flora Smith (bookwormflo) I LOVED the Three Investigator Series when I was a kid. I remember reading all of them I could get my hands on at the library. I never knew there was a new series in the late 80s. By that time I had moved on to other types of books and wasn't giving them much thought.

I haven't ever heard of the Mushroom Planet series.

message 6: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 41 comments Loved the Tripod Trilogy Michael.

Here's a link to the Mushroom Planet book on Goodreads

The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet