Terminalcoffee discussion

Face Off! (Less Serious) > Yay/Nay - Closed-captioning/subtitles on television/movies, even in English.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Go!

message 2: by Barb (new)

Barb NAY! They're annoying as hell ... though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't say that if I were hearing impaired.
Oh, subtitles on foreign films are ok, because I actually NEED them to be there - as opposed to being visual garbage.

message 3: by Kevin (last edited Aug 23, 2010 08:41AM) (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my two oldest children are hearing impaired and they wear hearing aid. on some movies or shows they really help them. my wife uses them occasionally when people on movies have a thick accent that she cannot fully understand. then she can see what they are saying

i love when sports on a restaurant and they have the captions turned on. you generally cannot hear the TV anyway plus they type in some jacked-up stuff on the captioning. sometimes hilarious attempts. is that stuff automated? doesn't even make sense occasionally

message 4: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i love love love subtitles, but only for foreign languages and dialects of course. they give me the idea i can learn a language from watching movies. germans like to ruin perfectly good movies by dubbing them. not good. sometimes i'll watch a movie (in english or dutch) with the subtitles in a random language. it makes me feel smart when i start noticing words and what they mean.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I like subtitles, too. Especially when I'm watching a film with people who like to talk during. I can read the dialogue and not miss anything.

message 6: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I'm always amused that the Dutch subtitle Belgian television programs that are actually in Dutch--totally comprehensible even to a non-native speaker like me. It's like a giant cross-border insult: "You speak our language so strangely we have to subtitle it."

message 7: by Mona (last edited Aug 23, 2010 09:25AM) (new)

Mona Garg (k1721m) | 350 comments I like subtitles. Sometimes actors mumble,talk too fast, or speak in a heavy accent. I even use them for TV shows.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i love the hitler rants where they totally change the subtitles to make it funny

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24072 comments Mod
I always feel bad when some Indian or Pakistani person is speaking English and they get English subtitles anyway. Seems a little mean.

message 10: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) Lobstergirl wrote: "I always feel bad when some Indian or Pakistani person is speaking English and they get English subtitles anyway. Seems a little mean."

Good point. I see it for lots of people with accents, and it's usually unnecessary.

I have my TV set up to display captions when the sound is muted.

In the past we watched a telenovella that was aBrazilian show, dubbed in spanish, with captions in english. I did pick up a little spanish from it.