Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > City of Bones--September Group Read--SPOILER FREE

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) No spoilers in this topic, please.

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna (starsshinebrightly) | 10 comments Hi all!

I’m going to be leading the discussion this month for City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

Ok so as this is spoiler free I thought that this thread could be more about the characters in general and about Clare’s writing. So here are some questions that I thought would give you a few nudges as to what to write if you are having trouble but don’t feel limited by the questions! Write what you feel like.

1) Do you feel that you as a reader relate to the main character Clary? Do you like her? And do you think Clare has done a good job of creating a well rounded character?

2) As the main male character how do you feel about Jace? Do you like his attitude?

3) What do you think of Simon’s and Isabelle’s characters? Do we like them?

4) Do you like Clare’s style of writing? Is it effective for this genre or not? Do you feel that it engaged you as a reader or not?

5) What are your general first impressions of the book? Where you hooked from the fist line? Or did it take you a little while to get into it?

6) Do you feel that Clare has created her own UNIQUE ‘urban fantasy’? Or have we seen it before?

7) What do you feel about the pace of the book (to me it seemed as if Clare was throwing one thing after another at me!)? Do you like the pace? Or do you think it’s too fast/slow?

Hope you enjoyed/are enjoying the book!

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy (celesi) Yay! Finally a group read on a book I own! I'm looking forward to re-reading this one with the group, to prepare me for reading book 2.

message 4: by Elena (new)

Elena I started this book last year and didn't get to far. I will give it another try sometime this month and I'll come back with my comments.

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I tried to read this book last month and gave up before page 100. I just really didn't like it... the way these "kids" talked and it just seemed really badly written, in my opinion.

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna (starsshinebrightly) | 10 comments Having looked on the books page here http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25...
it does to be a common response either people love it or they hate it. Personlly I'm on the loving it side. . . but i could understand how you could see that the 'kids' in it could come acoss as being badly writted. perhaps aimed at a age group different from your own? I always find if I can't get into a book right off jumping to a random page near the middle and reading gives me a good guide as to whether I should persevere with it or not.
Happy reading everyone!

message 7: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Donna wrote: "but i could understand how you could see that the 'kids' in it could come acoss as being badly writted. perhaps aimed at a age group different from your own?..."

I read a lot of Young Adult books so my age (29) doesn't have anything to do with why I consider the "kids" being badly written in the book. And I wasn't saying the "kids" were the only badly written part... I think the whole book was badly written. Having read the "hated it" reviews, I agree with most of them on the issues this book has for me.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Theresa wrote: "I tried to read this book last month and gave up before page 100. I just really didn't like it... the way these "kids" talked and it just seemed really badly written, in my opinion."

What's strange is that the first few chapers in this book didn't do it for me, but once I got into the book it really improved. Maybe the author just needed to get into a flow or something.

It could just be a weak start thing. Books two and three are so much better than book one, also. I really enjoyed book three.

message 9: by Nick (new)

Nick (smithnik) | 13 comments I had very little trouble getting into this book, and found it hard to put down, but still came away a little dissatisfied with the quality of the writing. It just felt like it should be better, and certainly more polished.
Simon was too ill-defined...a geeky musician, but what else?
I really liked Isabelle much better, in that she had an annoying facade, but there was something behind it. I still don't think I would like her as a person, though.

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber (crazyaboutbooks) | 12 comments I'm up to reading the 3rd one in the series and have to say I've liked both books so far.
I agree with Nick in saying(little dissatisfied with the quality of the writing. It just felt like it should be better, and certainly more polished.)
Some of the characters for me seem to fall a little flat in book one, but develop/grow more in book two City of Ashe.
I'll be starting City of Glass hopefully by this next month. Hope everyone has a good time reading this series, and if not theirs always other different books out there......Happy hunting fellow book readers.