Urban Fantasy discussion

GROUP READ OF THE MONTH--ARCHIVE > City of Bones--September Group Read--SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Ok to post spoilers here.

Please remember to uncheck the "Add to my Update Feed" option before submitting your post.

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna (starsshinebrightly) | 10 comments Hi all!

I’m going to be leading the discussion this month for the City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

This thread has spoilers in it so if you don’t want to see spoilers please stop reading now! (And come back when you’ve finished the book). Here are some questions that I thought we could start with but don’t feel limited by them if you have other things to write about please do. Perhaps you have some questions of your own that you would like to make?

1) Do we feel like Clary should have more ‘power’?

2) Is he a good love interest for this genre of book?

3) How do you feel about Luke his good/bad character? Do you feel that Clare effectively explains WHY Luke acts the way he does to Clary?

4) What do you feel about the pace of the book (to me it seemed as if Clare was throwing one thing after another at me!)? Do you like the pace? Or do you think it’s too fast/slow?

5) Does the book appeal to both boys and girls or does it appeal to one more than the other?

6) Do you feel that Clare has created her own UNIQUE ‘urban fantasy’? Or have we seen it before?

7) Did you feel that the book was aimed at one age group more than another? Or do you feel that it is a successfully bridges the barrier of age?

8) How do you feel about Jace finding out that he and Clary are brother and sister? Do you believe it? Does Clare want us to believe it?

9) How do we feel about Valentine’s character? Is he a suitable ‘evil’ character for this genre or not?

10) Will you read the next books in the series?

Also I thought it would be a nice thing to add a favourite quote from the book.

Mine is: "That’s why when major badasses greet each other in movies, they don’t say anything, they just nod. The nod means, ‘I am a badass, and I recognize that you, too, are a badass,’ but they don’t say anything because they’re Wolverine and Magneto and it would mess up their vibe to explain."

Hope you enjoyed/are enjoying the book!

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisdiaz) | 4 comments I read this entire series in days...it was an amazing set of books!!! loved all of them! i can wait for the next book! I love the name Jace now too...there's a Jace in the book Stray (rachel vincent) so i guess it may start getting popular.

message 4: by Tenoko1 (new)

Tenoko1 I'm with Kris 100%. The series is amazing. I've read them several times, love them dearly, try to get everyone I can to read them, they all now love them just as dearly. Excellent, excellent series. Anyone new to it won't be disappointed.

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I read this about a year ago, and was hesitant to pick it up after reading all the plagiarism accusations against the author. Must say I wasn't surprised when it turned out to be as bad as I feared it would be. Read somewhat like a high school writing assignment to me. I know the series is very popular, I just can't see why.

message 6: by Tenoko1 (new)

Tenoko1 I'm surprised, Melodie. But then again, I should have said to read it is to love it or hate it. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground. I haven't heard any reports of plagiarism by the author. Stephenie Meyer, sure, but not Cassandra Clare.

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna (starsshinebrightly) | 10 comments It does seem to be that people either love it or hate it, fortunetly I'm with the frist. Is there something specific about it that you don't like Melodie? Or is it just a general dislike?

message 8: by Melodie (last edited Aug 28, 2010 01:32PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Donna wrote: "It does seem to be that people either love it or hate it, fortunetly I'm with the frist. Is there something specific about it that you don't like Melodie? Or is it just a general dislike?"

It didn't hold my interest for more than a half hour or so at a time, mostly due to the writing style. I found it poorly written. The book was a "book of the month" on one of the boards I used to frequent here at the time I read it and there was lots of talk among some of the board members as to whether they'd read it due to plagiarism accusations made against Cassandra Clare. They were not made BY her but AGAINST her. I decided to read it, but some didn't.

message 9: by Caramelle (new)

Caramelle | 8 comments I read this series just over a month ago after putting it off for a year or so since I didnt like how it started off. The beginning of the series seemed very 'Blue Bloods' by Melissa de la Cruz. Sadly I did not like that series very much which made me dislike this series at the start.

But after getting halfway or so into City of Bones, I really started to enjoy the book! In the end, I truly love the series and cannot wait for the future books!

There are some quirks with the writing style, but the characters (especially Jace) I really enjoy!

The writing is very elementary, but considering it as a YA novel, I gave it some slack. The character development in the series is great and the storyline and the topics it involves is different than any other YA novels i've read.

So hopefully for those who are still undecided to whether read the book or not, give it a try and if you still dislike it afterwards and think it was a waste of time, at least you read it and decided it for yourself rather than just blindly say you dont like the series! If you happen to do like it....yay!

message 10: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 109 comments I love the series. I don't have a problem with the writing or characters. In fact I love all of them to death.

The plagiarism stuff that went on years ago seemed to be blown out of proportion. I used to read a lot of fan fiction back then and a lot of fan fiction writers did similar things. I'm not saying it's right, but I think that's where fanfic can sometimes have it's issues. In reality it is all copy right infringement. You are taking somebody's characters and world and using them for your own purposes. I know some authors that don't allow any fanfic to be written at all.

message 11: by Tenoko1 (last edited Aug 31, 2010 02:47PM) (new)

Tenoko1 Carrie (Care) wrote: "I know some authors that don't allow any fanfic to be written at all."

WHAT?! How can they not allow fanfics?! That's part of the fun! That's like banning fanart! Granted, I haven't read or written a fanfic in years, but Lord knows, they are excellent ways of practice for younger writers, to work on their story and skills and to gain feedback.

BTW: You liked Breaking Dawn? I was sorely disappointed. To me, that read like a poor fanfic. I think she was getting tired of writing the series at that point and was having to make herself. I love the other books though.

message 12: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Misty wrote: "Carrie (Care) wrote: "I know some authors that don't allow any fanfic to be written at all."

WHAT?! How can they not allow fanfics?! That's part of the fun! That's like banning fanart! Granted,..."

I have to agree about Breaking Dawn. It was quite disappointing after the other 3. I'm still interested in seeing the movies that are being made from it and am wondering how they'll decide to split it up.

More years ago than I care to admit to, some friends and I wrote what would be the equivalent of "fanfic" using the teen idols of the time as our characters. It did help us all learn how to put together a decent story.

message 13: by Caramelle (last edited Aug 31, 2010 06:45PM) (new)

Caramelle | 8 comments Concerning the fanfic debate, I can understand why authors wouldn't want fanfics written about their characters, but isn't also a sign of admiration when other people think the characters the author created is so memorable that they would want to continue on their story? or even try to picture them in an alternate universe?!
There are some poorly written fanfics out there, but there are some very good ones as well. It is a great opportunity for future writers to practice with. Shouldn't the authors be grateful that they've inspired other writers?

I disagree when readers demand or heavily suggest what a character should do or how a storyline should progress to the author. Like 'this character should do this in the next book' or 'you should write about this in the next book'. Because it does send a message that the author has no plans or ideas for their own characters.

----
Regarding 'Breaking Dawn' was a big disappointment for me. It did read like a poorly written fanfic. To me, it seemed that she was just milking the story for whatever she could get, trying to please everyone and trying not to dissappoint anyone by not killing people off.

----
As for the topic:
The start of the book was confusing at first. As mentioned in an earlier post, it reminded me of 'Blue Bloods'. There were plenty of characters introduced in the beginning, so that got confusing. But once they started to branch out and get further developed, the storyline seemed to go smoother.

My favorite scene had to be the 'picnic'. It was adorable!

As for how the story was developed and certain events unfolded, there were key hints that made you wonder the connection between the characters, but you deny everyone of them, because that would just be a cruel ending! The more you deny the relationship, the more reasons and hints show up that confirm what you're denying!
So, when it's actually revealed and what you were hoping isnt true was confirmed to be true....you feel all depressed. But that also boosts your interest in the following book!

...yeah. I know this is the SPOILER thread, but i just cant seem to reveal anything! For those who've read the book, hopefully understand what im talking about.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) 5) Does the book appeal to both boys and girls or does it appeal to one more than the other?

I got my son to read this book/series. He likes it fine, but didn't appreciate the cover for CoB because he felt it look too much like a girly/romance type cover.

7) Did you feel that the book was aimed at one age group more than another? Or do you feel that it is a successfully bridges the barrier of age?

I absolutely feel like this series is written more for teens than adults. I just can't help it that I love cocky heroes and so therefore, I have to age Jace in my head to a legal age so I can drool a bit over him because he's too adorable.

10) Will you read the next books in the series?

I've read the series and hope to read the prequel book Clockwork Angel this weekend. :)

Each book is better than the last. If you're unsure about book 1, I'd recommend continuing on with the series. Book 3 is the best of the bunch (so far).

The quote I pick :

"Don't." Clary raised a warning hand. "I'm not really in the mood right now."
That's got to be the first time a girl's ever said that to me," Jace mused"
— Cassandra Clare (City of Bones)

message 15: by Amber (new)

Amber (crazyaboutbooks) | 12 comments Just got done reading City of Bones and City of Ashes this last month and got City of Glass yesterday. I find this series to be one of my favs. and I can't wait to read the next set of books she's got coming out Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare series.

message 16: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 188 comments The twist in this book had me yelling at the top of my lungs lol.

message 17: by Rebeca (new)

Rebeca Reads (beca1c) | 1 comments lol! It was really crazy... I dont think im over it yet!!!

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 3 comments I loved this series, though there was one part near the end of City of Glass that I almost threw my Kindle!
I think this book is great for young adults and adults.

message 19: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 188 comments Beca wrote: "lol! It was really crazy... I dont think im over it yet!!!"

I'm certainly not. But I am waiting to read my copy of city of glass until CoFA comes out.

message 20: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 109 comments City of Glass was my favourite in the series! It has a nice ending, so it's not necessary to wait for CoFA if you don't want to. In fact CoG was supposed to be the final book originally. Now there are two new books annouced besides CoFA.

I have to disagree with those that said it would appeal to a younger audience. I am 34 and loved the series. A lot of my friends love it as well and my 54 year old step mom is reading CoG now and loves them. I think it just appeals to (or doesn't) certain people, it has nothing to do with age. Just like anything, it has to do with taste. We all have different taste, likes, and dislikes.

message 21: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 367 comments This is one of the few ya series that I liked.
I think I read the entire series back to back in a weekend.

I actually liked the whole are we brother and sister or not?? I mean it is an interesting question siblings feel bonded if you do not know that someone is your sister/brother do you naturally feel oddly attracted to them? Anyway thought it was interesting.

Going back to the fan fiction convo I think the danger to authors is when you write a book or short story and someone has written some part of it in fan fiction. If someone can truly write like you it would seem like plagiarism. Having said that if I was an author and someone wanted wanted to write a short story about my characters I think I would feel more flattered but I would never read it.

message 22: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 48 comments I thought this was a good series overall, I really enjoyed it. I was weirded out by the brother/sister thing. I wanted them to be together so much and then they turned out to be related and I almost couldn't get over it. I finished the series anyway and I'm really glad that I did. I think the third book was my favorite.

message 23: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 182 comments Me too Lisa, the brother/sister thing was so unresolved at the end of the book. Especially they are same mom and dad siblings. I thought the book was okay but not enough that I want to run out and get the rest of the series. If the other books are group reads, I might read the rest. But there are many more books that I enjoyed more.

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 122 comments I read this book for a challenge and if I hadn't wanted to complete the challenge I wouldn't have finished this book. I just didn't think it was that well written.

message 25: by Judy (new)

Judy (jswham) | 1 comments I finished the whole series in a week. The first book is the weakest, IMO. I did not like the City of Bones until the end. The second book was the strongest of the three so far, again my opinion. I didn't care too much for the flowers in the attic vibe between the MC and her "brother" but I had a hunch they weren't really what they were told they were. A lot of the plot was pretty predictable but it didn't make me enjoy the series any less.