Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

True Blood > Episode 10/Season 3 ~ "I Smell a Rat"

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments Hmmm...well some of last night actually bored me and I hate saying that!!!

No Alcide???
Eric Chains up Sookie???
I dislike Tommy
YAY Jessica and Hoyt :)
YAY Jessica telling off Arlene :)
Tara is going to go off the deep end!!
Crystal finally reveals her kitty side...

Thought???

message 2: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) True I Smell a Rat was not the most action packed episode. Why does Eric keep telling Sookie not to trust Bill, and chaining her up. What is up with that? I wish Sam would have smacked Billy around instead of Calvin. LOL. It seems like Eric wants Sookies powers for the showdown that is coming up with Russell. Looks like Rev Newlin is going to be back around. Hope he brings along Sarah. Rusell has really stired up a mess. Tara is such a super freak. She is just so irriting,and deffinitly headed for the edge. Hopefully next week will have more action, and more will be revealed. :)

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 41 comments I'm getting kinda concerned that the characters are being really changed… I mean Sam going postal and stealing stuff….Eric chaining up sookie…..sookie forgiving bill for killing her…..lafayette being a shaman or whatever……i dunno, I think I'm just a bit worried that the show is deviating from the books SO MUCH that the characters are really changing

message 4: by Christy (new)

Christy | 127 comments I think this is one of those episodes that is really just setting up the finale. I need to watch it again because I know I missed some stuff. I felt really bad for Jason in this episode. Poor guy. He's struggling.

I'm not comfortable with the Eric storyline. He would never lock Sookie in a basement in chains! The preview for next week didn't give me much hope that he did it for her own good.

I'm kind of happy about the Sam storyline. In the books, his character became very one dimensional (he's a great boss, he's so understanding). So I'm glad we're getting a glimpse of what he's been through and the reasons why he's the way he is now. I'm pissed that Tommy is pushing him to the point that he's flipping out. Poor Sam. Loved when he slammed Holly: "Do you have anything for nosiness and no boundaries?" Awesome. Love Sam!

I have NO idea what's going on with Lafayette and Jesus. They're going to be Shamen? Really? Boo.

Sookie, you shouldn't trust Bill because he has a secret file on you and he gets fidgety every time you ask him a direct question. AND...you have a feeling in your gut something is wrong.

I will just keep tuning in....

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
SPOILER ALERT!!!!
I was glad to see that Anna Paquin could still bring a hot and sexy kiss to the screen with someone other than her hubby. The kiss with Eric was great!
When I saw Crystal I thought it was Quinn for a moment and got really excited then I realized he's a were-tiger and that it was Crystal. Great scene and the panther was realistic. God bless HBO's budget!

message 6: by Christy (new)

Christy | 127 comments But uh..in the books, the word "panther" really means mountain lion...not actual African Panther. shrug...I don't really care but I did notice that. I loved Jason's reaction: "oh mama"

message 7: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments I agree with you Heather! I will keep watching, but the characters are definitely changing from the books. When it starts to get this far off it makes everything from the books obsolete.

Though I think my favorite line from last night was "I'm a Fairy? That is F^#$ing lame!" LOL

I am hoping that Eric is "using" Sookie in order to lure Russell in to kill him. Though he should let her in on that little scheme, but maybe he wants to seem realiztic??? We know that he doesn't want to use her but the fight with Pam I think made him feel guilty.

OH the Russell/prostitute thing was just plain twisted.

Melissa Rochelle (melissarochelle) Christy wrote: "But uh..in the books, the word "panther" really means mountain lion...not actual African Panther. shrug...I don't really care but I did notice that. I loved Jason's reaction: "oh mama""

I was surprised to see a black panther instead of the usual North American mountain lion (puma, cougar...the name varies). But black panthers have been spotted in North America. Not what I imagined though...it seems to make the Hotshot folks a little too exotic instead of white trashy.

While I think Eric chaining Sookie up doesn't make sense, there's got to be a turning point in the show where she says "screw vampires, I'm going to date Alcide (or Quinn)". I hope the show allows a serious break-up between Sookie and Bill so we can see more of the other supes in come into her life in the books.

message 9: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments See, I wasn't surprised to see the Black Panther (I think I missed or just don't remember the detail from the books on the panthers). I think they must have done it that way because the average person thinks "Black" when they think panther...at least that is my thought process...LOL

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanbevans) I expected a mountain lion as well, but the black leopard was cool :) I guess black leopards are sexier than mountain lions lol!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) I liked the panther. The whole thing with Sam's backstory was a little WTF and kinda confusing.

I am happy for Jessica and Hoyt.

I was really disappointed in Arlene when she asked for Holly's help to get rid of the baby.

Poor Terry-he really wants to be a father and marry Arlene even if it isn't his baby.

Typical of Eric to lock Sookie up. I so don't like his hair.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (emoonae) | 225 comments So much to say! I think this episode was a good tension-builder.

I thought Bill's pledge to abstain from feeding on Sookie to prove to her that he loves her and not her blood was classy. I also thought it was pretty classy of Eric not to rat Bill out; despite any deviations between the books and the show, it's obvious Bill's not telling Sookie the whole truth. Of course, she has to know the truth and Eric had to be an a-hole and chain her up in the basement because if we're going by the overall jist of the third book, Sookie has to be fed up with both Bill and Eric by the end of this season...or at least, by the end of the first half of episode 12. :-)

Though, I think Sookie might be on the verge of getting fed up with Bill anyway. When Tara told her about all the horrible things that happened to her and how Bill did nothing, she has to be pissed at him, and f*ck the circumstances! Tara is her best friend. Sookie even went to Eric for the express purpose of discovering why she shouldn't trust Bill.

Best part: "Blah-blah vampire emergency blah. I have no interest in inheriting your farm on Öland; that place is a windy shithole." LOL! I thought it was sweet that Pam made Eric understand how she feels by reminding him of how it felt when his maker was ready to die. And there, Eric's classiness in this episode ends. Poor Sookie!

I loved Lafayette and Jesus on vampire blood (Go, Mary! We're connected, bro!), even though parts of it were totally freaky. And how they got into it was pretty funny:

Jesus: "I wanna do it with you."
Lafayette: "Yesterday morning, you made coffee; I thought today maybe we'd graduate to juice and pancakes?"

Poor Sam...and Jason...and Tara! I have no sympathy for Calvin and his narrow-mindedness after he told Crystal it was her duty to mate with Felton to preserve their bloodlines after she "ruined" his by letting Lafayette save his life with a couple drops of vampire blood. Er, Calvin? I believe the words you're searching for are "thank you".

And poor Russell...I guess.... Tell me, which stage of grieving involves hiring a gigolo that looks like your dead lover so you can kill him?

message 13: by Christy (new)

Christy | 127 comments I watched it again last night and I was just really impressed by the exchange between Pam and Eric ( as Sarah mentioned above) and every scene with Jason. Poor Jason! He just broke my heart last night. I LOVED when he kicked Bill out of his house.

message 14: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) I wathched it last night too. It made me sick when Jason kicked Bill out of the house,and Eric threw Sookie is chains like Lafayette. Bill and Sookie have both come to each others aid many times. Jason is a dumb asshole. He has killed two vampires and murdered one human. Bill told Sam how they could save the town from the Maenad and Jason idiot goes around telling Andy they saved the town. Nuff said. What was really funny was how Rev Newlin came on TV and said "I hate to say, I told you so! Just kidding that wouldn't be like a good Christian." snicker. The coolest thing about that episode was the black panther. Crystal is not a vampire. But Ball by calling the vampire hotel in Dallas Hotel Carmilla, and using a black panther. The form Carmilla always took as a vampire when she stalked human prey. Shows that he at least read Carmilla. Yeah!

message 15: by Christy (new)

Christy | 127 comments I'm not saying that Jason is a genius, I just felt for him last night. Bill coming in and getting in his face like Jason doesn't care about Sookie was really disrespectful and Jason had a right to be angry about it. I do believe that Bill loves Sookie (although there is obviously something he's hiding) and that he wants to protect her. But I believe Jason loves his sister and wants to protect her as well.

message 16: by CindyToo (new)

CindyToo | 107 comments Jason sure surprised me last night when he proved himself to be the *smart* Stackhouse kid, lol!

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (emoonae) | 225 comments Christy wrote: "I'm not saying that Jason is a genius, I just felt for him last night. Bill coming in and getting in his face like Jason doesn't care about Sookie was really disrespectful and Jason had a right to be angry about it."

Word. Jason went through A LOT in this episode, and I think he handled things admirably.

Cary wrote: "The coolest thing about that episode was the black panther. Crystal is not a vampire. But Ball by calling the vampire hotel in Dallas Hotel Carmilla, and using a black panther. The form Carmilla always took as a vampire when she stalked human prey. Shows that he at least read Carmilla. Yeah!"

Dude, I have got to read Carmilla!

message 18: by Melissa Rochelle (new)

Melissa Rochelle (melissarochelle) Weird...Goodreads will not let me post...I'll try again.

Carmilla is available at Project Gutenberg!

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/10007/...

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (emoonae) | 225 comments Melissa Rochelle wrote: "Weird...Goodreads will not let me post...I'll try again.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/10007/..."

Aces! Thankie!

message 20: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I thought it was a good episode. I can't stand Tommy and I'm glad Jessica is not falling for his BS. I can't believe he attacked Hoyt like that! And OMG at Sam's storyline! It's all over the place.

I am over Tara's angst. I get a lot of bad sh*t has happened to her in the past few weeks that's horrendous but girl needs to snap out of it. It's amazing how calm Sookie is compared to her. LOL.

I totally enjoyed that Eric/Sookie kiss. It was hot and felt right and they looked great together! WTF @ her being chained. WTF @ Pam not turning into her BFF Pam in the show? Pam could care less about her it seems but it's alright, I still adore her.

I thought that whole Jesus/Lafayette deal was odd and out of place in the story. Jesus was so adamant about the V and the he's like "let's do some together!" I hope he doesn't turn out to be evil, though. And how did they BOTH see the same thing?

I don't even compare the shows and books anymore. They took a storyline that doesn't happen until Book 8, is it? and brought it into season 3. But I figured he'd divert from the storyline more than ever when he kept Lafayette, who I adore btw, but you get what I mean.

message 21: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Yup the longer the series goes on the more it diverges from the books. Some of the changes like keeping Lafayette alive and developing his character have been real good. Other changes like the mad Maenad hav been odd. What was Russell doing in I Smell a Rat? He picked up some gay hustler off the street and called him Talbot. Was he making a companion? That was a strange scene.

message 22: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Melissa Rochelle wrote: "Weird...Goodreads will not let me post...I'll try again.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/10007/..."

Carmilla is very famous published in 1872. Twenty years before Dracula it is a long short story. All you have to do is type Carmilla in your browzer. :)

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (mrsworldwidewebb) I want more Alcide! LOL Dang it.. I wanted to see Joe more often than like 2 episodes...Guess I will have to watch next year! LOL

message 24: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) I cant believe there are only two more episodes left. I don't see how they can rap all this up with only two more episodes. Maybe they will close the season with a real crazy cliff hanger. :)

message 25: by Christy (new)

Christy | 127 comments Cary wrote: "Yup the longer the series goes on the more it diverges from the books. Some of the changes like keeping Lafayette alive and developing his character have been real good. Other changes like the mad ..."

I thought that was weird too. I thought he was going to make himself a new companion, but then he staked him, so...

message 26: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments Well Russell said it all after he staked him. He needed closure and needed to be able to say goodbye. So he "created" a Talbot to be able to do that. Dare I say that Russell has become delightfully disturbing ;)

message 27: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments OH I also agree with you Cary! Too much going going all the last 2 episodes are either going to be be super rushed and a let down or major cliffhanger!!!

message 28: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Cary wrote: "Yup the longer the series goes on the more it diverges from the books. Some of the changes like keeping Lafayette alive and developing his character have been real good. Other changes like the mad ..."

He was trying to say goodbye to Talbot because the dude looked a bit like Talbot. That's why he staked him after sexing him cuz he was saying "goodbye".

message 29: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments Ranata...I just said that...2 post above you LOL. Great minds though ;)

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandram1967) | 67 comments I thought the Sookie Eric kiss was totally out of place and didnt' fit smoothly. I just thought it was weird. Some mentioned they think Eric will end up using Sookie for her powers to help with Russell.

message 31: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Thats the way it looks. Like Eric is following Pams advice and using Sookie to fight Russell. Why the vamp league wont help him I just don't understand.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (emoonae) | 225 comments Cary wrote: "Why the vamp league wont help him I just don't understand."

I expected them to help, and when they didn't I was kind of disappointed. Obviously, supporting Russell is bad for the AVL's image...but, I guess that maybe openly opposing him would be bad for their image, too.

It seems that they're supposed to publicly represent the interests of all American vampires, and I would bet that a lot of vampires actually agreed with Russell's statement.

message 33: by Christy (new)

Christy | 127 comments Sarah wrote: "Cary wrote: "Why the vamp league wont help him I just don't understand."

I expected them to help, and when they didn't I was kind of disappointed. Obviously, supporting Russell is bad for the AVL'..."

Yeah but if passing their equal rights bill is the first priority (which is how Nan made it sound) than it would be imperitive that they do something about Russell. I guess they can't really come right out and kill him (that might scare the humans too), but they have to be seen as strong enough to contain him somehow, right?

message 34: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments Nan was very properly political about it all though. I loved how she brought up Jeffrey Domer (sp?) and all. Can't judge the whole species by one bad apple!!!

message 35: by Christy (new)

Christy | 127 comments I was happy to see Reverand Newlin again. He cracks me up.

message 36: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherrij2003) Did anyone thing that maybe Eric chained Sookie up to protect her?? Just a thought but maybe he did it b/c she never stays put and is more vulnerable to the wolves and Russell but now Eric can keep an eye on her and he can be sure she won't run off.

message 37: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherrij2003) Did anyone thing that maybe Eric chained Sookie up to protect her?? Just a thought but maybe he did it b/c she never stays put and is more vulnerable to the wolves and Russell but now Eric can keep an eye on her and he can be sure she won't run off.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) Well if it was for Sookie's protection (which i doubt) he could tell her that instead of just forcefully doing it.

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanbevans) Sherri wrote: "Did anyone thing that maybe Eric chained Sookie up to protect her?? Just a thought but maybe he did it b/c she never stays put and is more vulnerable to the wolves and Russell but now Eric can keep..."

I think he probably chained her for his own good - to have her available to use her if he needs to. I don't think he necessarily wants to have to use Sookie, but he will if needs be.

message 40: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherrij2003) And why couldn't she "call" Bill and him come to rescue her?? I thought about that too!

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) She did call for Bill. Bill "heard" her.

message 42: by Christy (new)

Christy | 127 comments In the previews, Russell is in the basement with Sookie and she doesn't look so good. If Eric did it to protect her, he doesn't do a great job. I think he did it to trap Russell.

message 43: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandram1967) | 67 comments Christy wrote: "In the previews, Russell is in the basement with Sookie and she doesn't look so good. If Eric did it to protect her, he doesn't do a great job. I think he did it to trap Russell."

Also in the preview it shows Eric and Russell in front of Sookies car and Russell flips it up.
It is going to be interesting.

message 44: by Christy (new)

Christy | 127 comments I can't wait!!

message 45: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandram1967) | 67 comments I hope this link works.

Not sure if you've seen this preview?

http://www.hbo.com/true-blood/episode...

message 46: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Funky prieview. Tara really pisses me off. She should have jumped all over Jason not Andy. Looks like a Jesus is a deamon or powerful sorcerer. His father was a sorcerer. Eric might have explained his plan to Sookie. Eric has to have an ace up his sleeve. Looks like Bill is getting maced, pounded by Eric, or whatever. Last two episodes are going to be good. :)

message 47: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherrij2003) Wow! Looks like it may be intense...I watch TB online so I never get to see the previews.

On a side note...I wonder what Terry did to piss Sam off, by the way he was talking I would have figured he was talking to Tommy.

message 48: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) Yeah well if youv'e noticed Sam is getting a little wierd. Tripping into his past. Where he murdered two people. Then almost beating Calvin to death. I hate Tommy. He is a pric and Sam made a terrible mistake looking up his family. Why did he do it. Sams life was just fine. Except for the usually TB wierdness, LOL. :)

message 49: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandram1967) | 67 comments Many people who've been adopted really want to know who their real bloodline is. I think it is natural to want to know who your parents are.

My (adopted) cousin spent years looking for her maternal mother. And like Sam it was a huge disappointment.

message 50: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 142 comments Sam's family is just so far off from the books and he is another one who is completely changing their character in the show. I think that is what bothers me more...

« previous 1