Harlequin Presents Readers discussion

Themes > Vintage Harlequin Romance Thread

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 2280 comments Mod
For those readers who have access, check out the vintage Harlequin Romances. They pretty much read like Harlequin Presents.

I read Island Of Dolphins by Lillian Cheatham this weekend, and it was chock-full of HP-style drama.

Hostage by Madeleine Ker is another one off the top of my head.

Bride Of Diaz by Patricia Wilson too.

Can you think of some.

message 2: by Lynsey A (new)

Lynsey A (lovesdarcy) | 170 comments Thanks for those recs, Danielle. I don't have any right now.

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 2280 comments Mod
You're welcome. We can fill them in when we find them. :) If I find a vintage Harlequin at the used bookstore, I usually will buy it.

message 4: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully | 56 comments Sheikh's Reward - Lucy Gordon
The Ice Maiden - Sally Wentworth

both 4* for me :-)

message 5: by Booked (new)

Booked | 25 comments I have all kinds of favorites. Idk how to begin. Lillian Cheatham also has A lady with a past which is also great. Madeline Ker's Fire's of God is good. Rose Elver Golden Apples and Kathryn Crammer's Pas de deux are awesome. Disturbing Stranger by Charlotte Lamb is great.

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Thanks for the recs, ladies!

message 7: by Slaveforomance (last edited Feb 02, 2011 02:36PM) (new)

Slaveforomance | 68 comments Its probably not considered vintage since it was written in the mid 1990s but one my favorite Harlequin Romance book is SELL ME A DREAM by Leigh Michaels.

Its a secret baby from a marriage broken theme of young people who loved each other but had different dreams and ambitions. A few years later, he comes back to town, wealthy and now owns the biggest company in the area. She is a real estate agent who has to find him a home in the town.

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Sounds good to me, SFR (if you don't mind the abbreviation). I would consider this vintage.

message 9: by JennyG (last edited Feb 03, 2011 03:17AM) (new)

JennyG | 106 comments Morgan Wade's Woman by Amii Lorin

It can also be found under her other pseudonym of Joan Hohl. It is a Candlelight Ecstasy Romance book. Very intense with jealous hero. Reminds me of HPs.

Enjoy.

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

I have this one in my cart on Amazon to buy, Jenny. :)

message 11: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 106 comments Danielle, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It is a very un-PC book.

I am trying to find more like it but no luck so far.

Happy reading once you get it. :)

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Thanks, Jenny. I will try to give the heads up on the Un-PC ones when I read them. :)

message 13: by Asdlove (new)

Asdlove | 6 comments i love Charlotte Lamb's books.I have read Storm centre,Dark Dominion,Haunted Dreams,Dark Master and Night Music.

message 14: by Verity (new)

Verity | 567 comments Except My Love by Mary Burchell Except My Love
luvly vintage romance, but the hero is of Mr. Limp Wang variety, former flame leads him by the numbnutz. Office affair, unrequited luv, marriage of benefits, runaway wife, secret baby, whether / not hero wears cheating pants is still up for debate. The scene-stealing BFF's zingers make it even more memorable.

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Sounds irresistible, V.

message 16: by Aruana (new)

Aruana | 248 comments I've been looking for an old Nora Roberts - when she was still writing for Silhouette. I found it - it's considered a classic now

The Heart's Victory (Silhouette Classics, #24) [Paperback]

http://www.amazon.com/The-Hearts-Vict...

I was in high school when I read this and made an impact on me.

message 17: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 260 comments There is a UBS near me where in the back room she has stacks of old HRs and HPs and everything in that back room is 10 cents apiece. I love to go and spend $2 and come home with 20 books.

message 18: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 180 comments Jacqueline, Can I come visit you?? My local UBS sadly purges all the older category books on a regular basis.

message 19: by Jacqueline J (last edited Apr 12, 2012 07:40AM) (new)

Jacqueline J | 260 comments Sure! Next time you're near Kansas City let me know. I'd love to go to the UBS with someone who enjoys it as much as me. This UBS has all kinds of other books too and there are so many they are overflowing the shelves and piled on the floor.

There is another UBS nearby also that only stocks modern category romances. Shelves and shelves and shelves of them.

I find that most UBSs only stock non category romances which is a shame so these two are favorites of mine.

Can you tell your UBS to hold the oldies for you?

message 20: by Melanie♥ (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 180 comments That's a great suggestion. I will ask them the next time I am there. I am sure they must get them in all the time. They have a decent trade-in for discount system.

message 21: by Lynsey A (new)

Lynsey A (lovesdarcy) | 170 comments Melanie wrote: "Jacqueline, Can I come visit you?? My local UBS sadly purges all the older category books on a regular basis."

The UBS I went to in my hometown all the time did the same thing. They only have the books numbered over 2000!

message 22: by Alexis-Morgan (last edited Apr 14, 2012 09:45AM) (new)

Alexis-Morgan Roark (alexismroark) | 97 comments If you live in the Los Angeles are, you have plenty to choose from. The one I frequent has two tables for romance books at $1 each or 10 for $5...nirvana!!

Can't get the photo to show up. Here's a link:

http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/2...

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Oh man. I'd be in trouble!

message 24: by Diane (last edited Apr 16, 2012 08:26AM) (new)

Diane (booknuts) | 15 comments Jacqueline wrote: "Sure! Next time you're near Kansas City let me know. I'd love to go to the UBS with someone who enjoys it as much as me. This UBS has all kinds of other books too and there are so many they are o..."

jacqueline, where in KC is the USB with tons of vintage HP books? i live in topeka and the USB stores here also got rid of their old category HP's--they gave a few away but i think they just tossed most of them, and i found out too late. there are only 4 USB stores here now, and they have purged almost all older books, so i have to rely on ebay, amazon, or half.com to get older books that someone here has recommended, and the postage is a killer. often the books, especially on amazon, are only 1 cent, but the postage is $4.00, so....

message 25: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 260 comments It's called Read It Again Books in Oak Grove, MO. It is a big general UBS with a smaller back room of categories for 10 cents.

The other one is Dog Eared Books in Independence, MO. It is almost entirely category romances. They have some vintage of more popular authors and lots of categories from about the last 15 years or so.

Both are online.

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

If I ever make through MO again, I'll make a point of going to these stores!

message 27: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 260 comments So this thread made me get a jones to go the UBS. I just ran over to Read It Again books and spent $3 for 30 books.

message 28: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen) , Harlequin Presents are my crack! (new)

Awesome!!!

message 29: by Rebecca (last edited Apr 14, 2012 02:59PM) (new)

Rebecca (bd200789) | 62 comments I wish we had one near here. we have a thrift store but they don't get many vintage ones anymore. I've been getting most of mine on eBay.

message 30: by Alexis-Morgan (new)

Alexis-Morgan Roark (alexismroark) | 97 comments Jacqueline wrote: "So this thread made me get a jones to go the UBS. I just ran over to Read It Again books and spent $3 for 30 books."

$3 for $30??? I am envious!!!!!

message 31: by Alexis-Morgan (last edited Apr 15, 2012 09:06AM) (new)

Alexis-Morgan Roark (alexismroark) | 97 comments Oh...our Public Library ALWAYS has HPs for, I think, 50 cents each sometimes less.

message 32: by Lynsey A (new)

Lynsey A (lovesdarcy) | 170 comments Man, I live in Indianapolis and we don't have USB like the ones in KS. One that I know of that has lots of older HP's is on the south side of town, over 35 minutes from my house. Even then they don't have a super lot.

If I ever visit my family in Overland Park I am definitely stopping at those locations! :)

message 33: by Jacqueline J (new)

Jacqueline J | 260 comments There are a couple of UBS in Overland Park too. That is one advantage of living near a major metropolitan area. There are quite a few good ones on both sides of the state line. You do have to drive though. Of course I live far enough out in the country that everything's a drive but you get used to it.

message 34: by Lynsey A (new)

Lynsey A (lovesdarcy) | 170 comments My cousin who lives there is an avid reader so I'm sure she will know where to go. :)

message 35: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 244 comments I thought I saw a link somewhere in this group that was to vintage Harlequin Presents e-books. Did I dream this? Or does someone have the link? Thanks!