American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot American on Purpose discussion

American on Purpose

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany11 (new) - added it

Tiffany11 laura nice

Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel Ferguson's book (American On Purpose) was very good. Not so much a humorous book as a conversation with the reader about his life. I've certainly watched enough of the Late Late Show to be able to "hear" him as I read through the piece. His voice came through loud and clear. It is a brutally honest book that takes you through the ruin which was his early years (without much sympathy, i might add) to his current stint on the LLS. If you're a fan of his, I highly recommend this book. You'll certainly gain an appreciation for him.

Noreen Braman I became more interested in Ferguson after seeing his monologue that starts with why he won't make fun of Britney Spears anymore, and ends with his description of his years of drinking and his current recovery. I listened to the audiobook, which he narrates. That is an added bonus, to hear him tell his own story. An audiobook I would listen to again.

Terri I expected a "funny" book, which it was in parts, but it was also a very serious, honest story about his life and coming to terms with alcoholism. Why he became an American was a thin golden thread woven through the book. I loved the audiobook because I love his way with words and accent!

Sandra Excellent book!

Chanouel I loved the book but reading about the audiobook makes me want to get it! I love his accent too and as Mike mentioned, I could "hear" him telling the story as I reading but actually hearing him would be even better!
Plus it's been a while since I read the book, I woudln't mind reading it again.
Thanks!

Chris W Very well written. He is an interesting man and the book gives insight into some of the things he mentions on his show. I feel like I really know (and like) him.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I thoroughly enjoyed the very conversational style the author used in this book. The first person narrative flowed very naturally and it was bittersweet without being sappy. The author's life, though different from my own in many ways, was recounted in a way to keep me engaged every step of the way.

Mr. Ferguson... what the heck am I saying... Craig demonstrated the sincerity many of us saw on his talk show and his self-deprecating humor also burned those of us at a different point on that same path to which he refers in his narrative.