SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

General Discussion > Is It Just Me ...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 246 (246 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Another of my favorite articles in TV Guide is Ingela Ratledge's "Is It Just Me?". I often wonder that, like my "what's up with violet eyes these days?" that I posted a while back.

Do you ever wonder if you're alone in thinking, is it just me or ....?
Post here and let's see. :)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments Is it just me or is the phrase "until now" one of the most repeated in paranormal romance?

Some authors use these words constantly. I groan every time I read them.

message 3: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments LOL! I just finished listening to Fantasy Lover and that magic phrase was used a lot. But, I did notice that what followed wasn't repeated. :)

message 4: by Laura Lulu (last edited Aug 25, 2010 11:54AM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Amy or "Ames" wrote: "Is it just me or is the phrase "until now" one of the most repeated in paranormal romance?

Some authors use these words constantly. I groan every time I read them."

Is it just me or is the term "weeping core" used entirely too much in PNR?

Oh wait...once is one time too many. My first thought is always "You know, they have antibiotics for that..."

message 5: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments Ewwwwwww!

message 7: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments LMAO!!! First, yes, it's overused and second, eeeewwwwwww!

message 8: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments LOL, wiping away the tears!!!!!

message 9: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Sandra wrote: "LOL, wiping away the tears!!!!!"

What tears, Sandra? Is your core weeping?

message 10: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Stop that! LOL!

message 11: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments I finished a BDB book this week and it had the weeping core phrase and all I could think of was that the girl must have had a disease. Bad use of words.

message 12: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Was it Lover Mine, AH? Ward whipped out a weeping core in that one and I had to post a status update about Xhex needing a doctor when I read it.

I don't understand how authors use that, or even just plain ole "core". It makes my reading train of thought come to a screeching halt.

message 13: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments Yes, it was Lover Mine. And I remembered that someone had posted about it. But with BDB, I just file it under her very weird use of words like fidiot.

Writing a good love scene is an art. When I see words like swollen, weeping, throbbing - I tend to stop reading or move on to the next part. Just does not make the scene beautiful.

message 14: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments AH wrote: "Yes, it was Lover Mine. And I remembered that someone had posted about it."

Me! That was me! ::waving like a fidiot::

message 15: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments I thought it was....
I find that when I read that series, I am always looking up words and phrases in the urban dictionary.
Still not sure what shitkickers are except that they must be some kind of footwear. Clunky boots?

message 16: by Laura Lulu (last edited Aug 27, 2010 10:01AM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I know "shitkickers" as cowboy boots. Which I assume comes from cowboys wearing them around animals, kicking around literal poop.

I think what Ward is talking about is big black motorcycle boots--shitkickers as in, guys who wear them can kick the shit out of you. ;)

I make such fun of those books, but I do enjoy them while I'm reading them. But seriously, when I'm reading her silly "urban" slang, or when she drops Jay Z and 50 cent lyrics, it makes me embarrassed for her.

message 17: by Laura Lulu (last edited Aug 27, 2010 10:03AM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I've taken this thread off on a tangent. Let me correct that.

Is it just me or do you find yourself laughing out loud reading J.R. Ward, and not in parts that are supposed to be funny?

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments Yes! I've got to read Lover Revealed by the end of the month and I'm dreading it for the very reasons you've stated!

message 19: by Laura Lulu (last edited Aug 27, 2010 08:30PM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments While I'm actually reading one, I really enjoy it. I just have to try and look the other way when she starts embarrassing herself with the stupid "hip" talk.

And it gets worse--I think Love Mine was the worst of the bunch. She must have spent weeks at Urban Dictionary while writing this book. Figure this--if she can have 100 year old vampires spouting ghetto and listening to rap, how much fun can she have with JM, Blay & Qhuinn, actual 20-somethings? ;)

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments Lol! Yeah, I seem to rate them quite highly but I never seem compelled to read the next one. I hate that rap language and the pathetic little lessers. How the brothers haven't killed them all yet is beyond me. Baby powder, really? Ugh. I just seem to remember the bad bits when I'm not reading these books.

message 21: by Laura Lulu (last edited Aug 27, 2010 08:49PM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Amy or "Ames" wrote: "I just seem to remember the bad bits when I'm not reading these books."

Lol. Exactly. And I look back at my ratings and wonder what I was thinking.

Then I read the next one, and give it 4 stars. They're like crack--you know it's bad for you, but you kinda forget that when you're hitting the pipe. ;)

message 22: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments LOL. So true.

message 23: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments Aw come on, you know you love them (BDB)- they are such a guilty pleasure and it makes me feel happy that I have an ereader and I don't need to explain to anyone why I am reading these books.

Mindless escape, pure and simple.

message 24: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Again, so true. :)

message 25: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (last edited Sep 02, 2010 07:44AM) (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments I always figure nobody knows what I'm reading (as I read in my native language in a country where it's a second language) and love that book covers are so popular. nope...not sharing my eye-candy!

Is it just me or does the "eye speaking" just get over the top?? I read another post on this topic somewhere and just found myself thinking, Hallelujah! I'm not the only one who ranges from baffled to ROFL at what authors attribute eyes as expressing...

message 26: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments No, there are some seriously embarrassing book covers out there. That's why an ereader is a godsend sometimes.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 1854 comments Is it just me or do 80% of heroines in PNR & UF have red hair?

What is this obsessions with redheads? I'm pretty sure this is not representative of the population. And none of them seem to dye it that colour either. What's up with that? And what do they mean by red? Fire engine red, carrot-top red, or a dark blood red?

message 28: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Carrot tops are green, not red. :P

message 29: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments LOL!

message 30: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments And don't forget Bronze hair.

message 31: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (last edited Dec 03, 2010 08:07PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Is it just me... or are new books mainly the start of a new series vs. stand alones?

I'm not knockin' it b/c we all know (Hello ... SOS!) I love me some series reads. Just seems like lately every new release is a #1. Seems most PNR/UF stand alone new releases are YA.

Think it's b/c it might be easier for authors to think up a story for a specific group of characters and carry on with their story vs. coming up with a dozen individual stories?

message 32: by new_user (new)

new_user I think it might actually be easier to start with new characters and worlds. They just do it for us readers who don't want the fun to end, LOL.

message 33: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments Also if the first one sells well, there's a good chance the next one will as well. Then the publishers like it as there is already an audience for them, so less marketing time & money needed.

message 34: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments All true. I'm happy about it no matter the why. :)

message 35: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments True!

message 36: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments I'm happy with the series situation if it is a Good series and the author knows when to stop. I can think of several series where the author should have stopped at book 3 or 4 and gone on to new things, for example House of Night, and LKH.

I can keep reading Kate Daniels forever - I love her world and each book is better than the last.

message 37: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments You are so right, AH. On all accounts.

message 38: by Regina (last edited Dec 04, 2010 05:54PM) (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments Amy or "Ames" wrote: "Is it just me or do 80% of heroines in PNR & UF have red hair?

What is this obsessions with redheads? I'm pretty sure this is not representative of the population. And none of them seem to dye it ..."

Amy I notice this too and often wonder about this! I love redheads, but there does seem to be alot in the PNR/UF genre.

Is it just me ..... or is the virgin/untouched heroine theme way overused in the UF/PNR genres? I have thankfully and recently found some decent UF books that don't recycle this old theme but wow -- it just gets old .... maybe all these virgins have "weeping cores" so they can't get laid? Sorry .....

message 39: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments LOL and Ewww! Not back to the icky core again.

message 40: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments LOL -- sorry. :)

message 41: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Nope, not buyin' it ... you're not sorry. >:) J/K! hehe

message 42: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments You're right!!

message 43: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Ha! I knew it! LMAO!!

message 44: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Regina wrote: "maybe all these virgins have "weeping cores" so they can't get laid? Sorry "

Bwahaha! And it all comes back to the weeping core. Love it. :)

message 45: by Desperado (last edited Dec 10, 2010 06:03PM) (new)

Desperado (lethallovely) | 1360 comments Is it just me...or are more & more UF heroines focused on sexing the bad guys instead of killing them? Everytime I read a book where a UF heroine has a boner for the bad guy-to the point where it affects her "duty"-, I think "OMFG! It's Anita Blake in all her magical coochie glory!"

message 46: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Laura Lulu wrote: "Regina wrote: "maybe all these virgins have "weeping cores" so they can't get laid? Sorry "

Bwahaha! And it all comes back to the weeping core. Love it. :)"

Stop it!! LMAO!!

message 47: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments LethalLovely~Punch the Bitch You Hate Today! wrote: "Is it just me...or are more & more UF heroines focused on sexing the bad guys instead of killing them? Everytime I read a book where a UF heroine has a boner for the bad guy-to the point where it a..."

LMAO!! That's cuz we chickies always seem to fall for the bad boys, yah?

message 48: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6371 comments LOL!

message 49: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments Is it just me ... or anyone else noticed the increased use of tongue clucking in books? It's really starting to annoy me. I don't know that I've ever clucked my tongue. LOL!

message 50: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments Is it in YA or regular books? I've seen some odd things in YA books.

« previous 1 3 4 5