SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

This, That or the Other > Kindle vs Nook

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (wingkon) | 46 comments Both of these look interesting but I cant tell the difference. Anyone use them?

message 2: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I don't have either, so I can't give the pros & cons of each, but I do have both the Amazon Kindle and Barnes & Noble Nook free iphone apps, and I love them. I was worried it might be hard to read a book on the smaller iphone screen, but it's not at all. I have read a bunch of ebooks on it and love it.

So...if you have an iphone or itouch, I would totally recommend the free ebook reader apps to try out the ebooks. :)

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user Hey, Patrick, I've played around with them and noticed a few differences.

Nook has a small color touchscreen below the main window that allows you to scroll through a cool cover view of your books ("Cover Flow").

Kindle has "Collections," folders so that you can categorize books instead of one big list.

Nook allows lending! ("LendMe") One person and one loan/book.

Kindle has a physical keyboard.

Nook is not compatible with Audible audiobooks.

Kindle is not compatible with ePubs.

Nook's a little heavier.

Your best bet is to visit B&N and Target to try these two out.

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (wingkon) | 46 comments Well I won't buy either anytime soon, but I was curious about the differences, so thanks for your input. Also

Nook can allow you to get free stuff whenever you walk into B&N (such as free chocolate, etc) along with deals.

You can get free books from Nook, if the author's been dead for at least 50 years. (Such as Edgar Allen Poe)

Nooks have more selections (according to the worker at B&N)

message 5: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments If you're interested in the classics, like Edgar Allen Poe, those are free downloads and can be added to any reader (I believe). :)

message 6: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments Patrick, take a look at the other readers on the market. The Sony reader and the Kobo don't tie you to a particular store. You can download epubs and pdfs to both. I believe that both the Sony and Kobo are supported for library loans as well. Kobo is cheap and is just a reader, no pretty bells and whistles. I have one and I am very happy with it.
All the classics are available for free - you can even download them from goodreads under find books.

message 7: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments Amazon Kindle allows sharing books. People can associate their accounts and depending on the license for certain books (sometimes it is 4 sometimes it is unlimited) at least 4 and maybe more people can all read the book and have it on various devices at the same time. When the people want to stop sharing accounts, the books remain on each person's device -- but the license number rebounds on the original account, so sharing can start all over again. :) I think it is a pretty nifty thing. My neighbor and I share accounts.

message 8: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments I heard that when you share accounts, you share your credit card information. Is this true?

message 9: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments It depends. If you have your credit card saved on amazon, then yes you do. If you don't have your credit card saved on amazon -- then you don't. It is up to you. If you don't have your credit card saved, then when a book is puchased, the purchaser just enters their card or gift card number at the purchase.

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber (crazyaboutbooks) | 499 comments I'm so happy I just got my NOOK last night and can't wait to get it all set up and start reading books off of it. ;D

message 11: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments Yay! Have fun!!

message 12: by Amber (new)

Amber (crazyaboutbooks) | 499 comments having loads of fun with it. Now I'll have tons of room for all the books I want HEHE, wont have to listen the other half howl to me about all the room I take up with the never ending books. :D

message 13: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments LOL, Amber. Congrats! Enjoy! Have fun buying and reading on your new toy. :)

I'm enjoying my new iPad. Prior to that it was my iTouch and still iPhone. All of these are better for me b/c I can get Kobo, Kindle, Stanza, iBooks, etc AND do more than just read books.

But, my #1 reason for not (and most likely never) buying a Kindle or Nook is backlighting. Or lack there of on both of those. I know it's b/c they want it to have the "real book look", but seriously, a book light on an eReader? Nah, I pass. I wanna be able to read in bed with no book light. :) But, that's just me.

message 14: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments But Steph, e-ink means that you can use your ereader outside in the sunshine, like on a beach, your backyard balcony, whatever. It is easier on the eyes.

message 15: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 16 comments I like reading my ebooks with a backlight as well. The lack thereof is the only thing that has kept me from buying a Nook and other devices. I read off my Blackberry (& palm before that) and have never had a problem with sunlight. I'm keeping my eyes open for a decent reader and one of my few must-haves is a backlight.

message 16: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments The clip on lights are super easy to use and manipulate!

message 17: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments Here's an ereader with a backlight: Literatti, it's connected to the Kobo bookstore.

message 18: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments I didn't know they'd come out with one, Ames. Thanks, but I'll stick with my iGadgets. :)

Funny story though, short version, I got pestered by the B&N Nook representative in VA. She literally followed me around for 10 minutes arguing with me about how the Nook was better than my devices even after I tried to nicely "thanks, but no thanks" her and move on. Coocoo crazy. LOL!

message 19: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments Amy - was there a price for the Literatti? I went to that website and there was all this great info, but no pricing. I noticed it was from Sharper Image, so I looked it up on Sharper Image's web site, but all they had was a Sony. Is this a European model?

message 20: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) | 16 comments Looks like it's $159 according to CNET. That's not a bad price actually. Thanks for the link Ames - I think that just might be what I'm looking for :D

CNET report:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-...

message 21: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments LOL Steph! I hate annoying sales people!

So very cool that there is now an ereader to satisfy people who want the back light!

message 22: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments LOL ditto!

message 23: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments Happy to be of help, Shannon. :)

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, I tend to read a lot at night, so that is nice.

message 25: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments Steph I recently came into contact with a similar B&N employee. Very annoying!!

message 26: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29004 comments LOL! Absolutely! I get trying to sell your product, but damn, didn't your mom teach ya that "no means no"?!? :D