Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > MQC July Reads (very late)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments July was a wonderful month for me! I made my challenge number of 12\month for only the second time all year!

ICE COLD - Tess Gerritson
THE HELP - Kathryn Stockett
GHOSTS OF BELFAST - Stuart Neville
THE CALLING - Inger Ash Wolfe
KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL - Anthony Bourdain
BLOODSTORM - Sam Millar
HORNET'S NEST - Stieg Larrson
THE VARIOUS HAUNTS OF MEN - Susan Hill
THE LAST CHILD - John Hart
IN THE SHADOW OF GOTHAM - Stephanie Pintoff
THE PURE IN HEART - Susan Hill
THE RISK OF DARKNESS - Susan Hill

A couple of these were audio's I started in June or May but only finished in July.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Mary QC:
Congrats on making your goal of twelve books! Books that were started earlier certainly count too (they better, I usually have several carryovers across months)
I am looking forward to several on your list as soon as I can free up the time. Ice Cold and The Last Child were in my hands from the library and ran out of time. I started the Kindle sample of The Help and hope to get to it someday. Anthony Bourdain is a hoot. Have you read his new book? Kitchen Confidential was quite revealing. I read it years ago.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Hi Ann,
Ice Cold was good; The Last Child was great...the kind of characters that stick with you long after the book. The Help was outstanding...but I recommend the audio! There are multiple narrators...it was extremely well done. I was speaking with a Jackson accent for weeks after that one, which is disconcerting when reading English\Irish crime novels. I have a sample of the new Bourdain. KC was very revealing to me too. My dh was a line cook for 10 years, most of his friend today are from that era...it explains ALOT!. I envy you getting to read some of these...you know that dismay you feel when you finish a wonderful book and know it will never be "new" again. A good dismay...if that's possible.

message 4: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1380 comments I had to return Ice Cold unread. That's happening to me a lot lately. It's the price of getting my MLIS degree.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments I worked full time and went to school full time for 2 years to finish my degree before they changed the CPA education requirements. It was really hard and I did very, very little pleasure reading. Congrats on all your hard work toward your Library Science degree...it is tough, but SO worth it.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Mary QC:
Thanks for the tip on listening to The Help on audio. I felt the same way on listening to Saving Ceecee Honeycutt to enjoy the accents adding to the mood and setting of the book.

Mary/Quite Contrary wrote: "Hi Ann,
Ice Cold was good; The Last Child was great...the kind of characters that stick with you long after the book. The Help was outstanding...but I recommend the audio! There are multiple narrators.....it was extremely well done. I was speaking with a Jackson accent for weeks after that one, which is disconcerting when reading English\Irish crime novels.."