Wellspring Prep Reads! discussion

Sunrise Over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucas (new)

Lucas | 3 comments By Lucas Cersosimo

My overall impression of the book, Sunrise over Fallujah, is good. The book held my interest and was intriguing. I can't say that there is a plot in this book because obviously the war in Iraq is still going on. I liked the messages that Walter Dean Myers wrote about, for example, don't take things for granted. Another message Mr. Myers wrote about is to appreciate family. I also believe that if we were in another country that has no government, we would start to appreciate the things we take for granted. However I disliked the writing style of the author. For example, there were no chapters, just a half blank page with a paragraph. I like books with chapter numbers at the top of the page because I can bookmark the page and know what chapter I'm on.

As for the characters, I enjoyed reading about them and envisioning them. The characters were funny and reminded me of people in my own family; for example Jonesy liked to play his guitar, which reminded me of my father. I liked the glossary containing the terms, phrases, cities and descriptions of the weaponry. This glossary helped me to fully understand what was going on. I have to say that the ending was pretty predictable. I have read too many books and have seen too many movies to not know what would happen in the end. I knew that someone was going to die and the group could get separated for reassignments.

I would definitely recommend this book to my brother, Alex. Even though he is only nine years old, he really likes guns and the military.

I do have one question for the author, “Why did Jonesy die and not Marla?” I wanted Jonesy to live and play the blues.

Annalise Venhuizen Kontras (annalisevkontras) | 32 comments Mod
Excellent! I hope someone can help answer your great question!