Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Group Discussions > Long Series: Read em’ or leave em’?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sashana (last edited Aug 22, 2010 03:30PM) (new)

Sashana It seems like many people in this group enjoy reading long series. Personally I’m not a fan; I really get bored if a series goes on too long. So I’m wandering, what's the appeal of reading longer series?

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments A while back I read the Harry Potter series... The feeling that a long series gave you was, different. You feel more intuned with the characters and you get to know everything very well. It's almost like a second life or world.

message 3: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I love both Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series and Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I'll probably read some more, but I'm getting to the point I'll wait till the library comes out with the books instead of running out and buying them.

I also love Sherilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunters series, Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworlds series, and Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series and am still running out to the store to buy them with each new book.

message 4: by Katherine (new)

Katherine I've read all the Evanovich Number books so have to keep going. I've also started Linda Lael Miller's McKettrick series. It is quite long but I read other books too so I don't get bored.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments I like Lauren's perspective; you get a better sense of all the characters as they come in to play.

Lisa, I also read the Harris and Evanovich series but I am finding myself not as excited as I use to be when the come out. And since they come out in hb I get them from the library. What is funny is that when they do come out in pb, I buy them and keep them on my keeper shelf.

My favorite seires is In Death by J.D. Robb, never gets old and I find it refreshing watching Eve and Roarke grow and grow with each other..

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Thanks Heather!

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments You're welcome Lauren! If an author can make me cry then they have done a bang up job..

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Haha... Doesn't take a lot to make me cry. Lol

message 9: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Heather wrote: "You're welcome Lauren! If an author can make me cry then they have done a bang up job.."

I agree.

message 10: by Sans (new)

Sans I enjoy them if the author keeps the series fresh feeling. I think it's smart to "rotate" characters in each book. For example, introduce a bunch of characters in the first book and each one gets their own book after that (BDB is a good example). Rowling did a good job with Harry Potter since all of the major characters kept growing and changing with each book and there was a clear plot binding all of the books together.

Series like the Cynsters make me nervous though. From what I've heard, the books become rather repetitive.

Of course, I can't really speak intensely on the issue since the only series I think I've ever actually finished are Jack McKinney's Robotech: The Sentinels and Sharon Green's The Blending. I tend to lose interest in things quickly and therefore read four or five books at a time.

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Sans wrote: "I enjoy them if the author keeps the series fresh feeling. I think it's smart to "rotate" characters in each book. For example, introduce a bunch of characters in the first book and each one gets t..."

When you say 'rotate' do you mean like changing the character-focus each book? That isn't the type of series I go for... I spend so much time thinking/wondering about what another character is up to.

message 12: by Sans (new)

Sans Yes, that's what I meant. In the series I've read, there is usually a mention of the people from previous books or they're minor characters in the new books. I like that kind of "peek in" that we get when authors do that. As if we're stopping by a few months later for a quick chat with the characters. Make sense? I'm still on my first cup of coffee so my brain isn't up to normal functioning speed yet.

message 13: by Arthur (new)

Arthur (astra) Sashana wrote: "It seems like many people in this group enjoy reading long series. Personally I’m not a fan; I really get bored if a series goes on too long. So I’m wandering, what's the appeal of reading longer s..."
I love long series.
Author has enough room to spin a tale. History of the world, many characters, lots plots.
I am getting attached to characters, I live their life with them. I enjoy this sort of things. I almost don't read stand alone books.

However, there is one condition. The series must be finished when I start to read it.

message 14: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Arthur, you must be very patient. A short series takes about 2 to 3 years for all the books to be out. I won't even think about how long it would take for all the books to be out in long series.

message 15: by Arthur (new)

Arthur (astra) Sashana wrote: "Arthur, you must be very patient. A short series takes about 2 to 3 years for all the books to be out. I won't even think about how long it would take for all the books to be out in long series."
I must confess, I am guilty. I have this traitorous trait.

Wait...let me think. Why don't I read the series before they are finished?

1. The writer might decide to depart prematurely to the netherworld. Then I would hate all the time I invested into the series and not to know how it all ended.

2. I am a slow reader. I cannot afford re-readings. Even if writers such as Brandon Sanderson or Steven Erikson produce books every year, I would have to wait for 1 year between the instalments. Within 1 year I definitely forget all the details of a previous book, I remember only the general outline of what has happened. Not good enough. Re-read? Cannot do it every year, unfortunately.

3. Apparently, I am....very...IMpatient. It would drive nuts if I had to wait for a whole year to learn what happens to characters I love/hate. Mind boggling *shudders*.

I have a rule, when I read long series, longer than 3 volumes, I dilute it with stand alone books every two volumes. Ehm. Harry Potter was a good test to my will power. I didn’t want to eat or sleep. I wanted to read read read. All I managed to squeeze in-between 7 books, was a very long short story by Robert Heinlein - All You Zombies (I think between books 4 and 5). I devoured the rest. I cannot imagine how people could read Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone then wait 365-x days!!! to read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and so on and so forth. I think you get the idea :)

message 16: by Emma (new)

Emma Michaels (emmamichaels) Arthur wrote: "Sashana wrote: "Arthur, you must be very patient. A short series takes about 2 to 3 years for all the books to be out. I won't even think about how long it would take for all the books to be out in..."

I am keeping all of my series to 4 books or less to be honest. (Not what I read but what I write.) When it comes to reading though, I will admit it, I love reading longer series. Though I wait until a few are out. Or at least lately that is what i have started to do just because now I am in the middle of a LOT of series where the next instillation has not come out yet.

Sincerely,
Emma Michaels
http://EmmaMichaels.blogspot.com
The Thirteenth Chime

The Thirteenth Chime by Emma Michaels

message 17: by Arthur (new)

Arthur (astra) I prefer long series too.

There are 2 massive series I am going to drown myself in for 2 years at the very least and quite soon.
In February the last, 10th, book of the main arc of The Malazan Book of the Fallen will be published. I start reading it at once with a few add-ons by Ian Esslemontand. Then in November 2011 the last book in Wheel of Time...
I am scared :)

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Wow! Good luck Arthur! I could never do that. It must be so sad when you finish all of them... Like a part of you is missing -- I mean the series has been with you for such a long time.

message 19: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 52 comments I love the unending series. My first addiction was reading Star Trek books. I love the shared universe concept where many authors write for the same world. Laurell K. Hamilton one of my favorite authors has written a Star Trek book.
Right now I can't get myself out of the reading series rut. But since there a gazillion series out there and I'm pretty happy- I'm not trying all that hard. : )

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Yes there are plenty of series out there! Whew! :)

message 21: by Arthur (new)

Arthur (astra) Lauren wrote: "Wow! Good luck Arthur! I could never do that. It must be so sad when you finish all of them... Like a part of you is missing -- I mean the series has been with you for such a long time."

Sorry for confusing you. My bad!
What I meant to say was:

In February the last, 10th, book of the main arc of The Malazan Book of the Fallen will be published. I start reading the whole series at once with a few add-ons by Ian Esslemontand. At the moment it is 14 books :) Some of them are very thick. So, it will take more than 1 year because I will intersperse the series with stand alone instalments here and there.

Then in November 2011 the last book in Wheel of Time...and I start reading the whole series. 15 books? Another 15 months + some stand alone books?

That's why I am scared. The moment I start reading Malazan in February/March 2011 I will be immersed in the series for 3-4 years!!!

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Tuell (booksloveme) | 112 comments i used to not like long series, but now i'm addicted them. when i read a stand alone book, i find myself wanting another story with those characters!!!

sometimes i do get bored if i read a series one book right after another so i try to space them, read one book in a series, then switch to another series, then go back.

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Arthur wrote: "Lauren wrote: "Wow! Good luck Arthur! I could never do that. It must be so sad when you finish all of them... Like a part of you is missing -- I mean the series has been with you for such a long ti..."

Sorry about my misunderstanding. Woah that is one long series! I have faith in you; you'll be able to do it! Don't give up :(

message 24: by Sashana (new)

Sashana How many books does a series have to have in order for you guys to consider it a 'long series'? For me a short series has 2 to 6 books, long has 7 and going.
I think my biggest problem with long series is they become repetitive after a while. I have yet to read a long series where I don’t get bored with the characters. The jury is still out though.

message 25: by Arthur (last edited Oct 17, 2010 03:38AM) (new)

Arthur (astra) Sashana wrote: "How many books does a series have to have in order for you guys to consider it a 'long series'? ..."

I only don't like stand alone or duology in fantasy. Trilogy is fine by me. It doesn't have to be 10 books :)

Lauren wrote: "I have faith in you; you'll be able to do it! Don't give up..."

Thanks! :)

message 26: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (shyluck13) I prefer long series - they give me more time with the characters and I get a chance to really test out their world. That being said...I do have issues with a few series that go on too long and get worse by the book because there's no plot line anymore.
I prefer the series about 6 books, give or take a few. My favorite long series would be Women of the Otherworld. It just never gets old.

message 27: by Angela (last edited Oct 18, 2010 11:59AM) (new)

Angela (angieerickson) | 338 comments The occasional stand-alone is fine, but I much prefer a series. I love how characters develop over time through a series.

message 28: by Carey Devine (new)

Carey Devine | 35 comments So far I have gotten wrapped up in the series. If you check out my books I have read its almost all series. I fall in love with Susan Wiggs Characters in Lakeshore Chronicles I am dying to get the new one and she just released her Lakeshore Christmas.

Also read all of Janet Evonavich the Plum Series, working on Fern Michaels Sisterhood Series. I am sure there is more I am not naming but I have grown very fond of all the characters and thier lives. I can live through them.

message 29: by Frankie (new)

Frankie I love long series of books / never ending, as you always find you have something to read or a new book to look forward to. Saying that it's horrible waiting for the next, needing to know what happens (ands it's not like you can wait for the series to finsh).

My favouite long series is women of the otherworld by Kelley armstrong. Its amazing and the rotating main characters keep it interesting.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments I'm not prejudiced, I love series or stand alones. My only peeve is I need to start at the beginning and read them in order and it irks me when I miss a short story of an ongoing series in an anthology. I wish authors would include anthologies in a series book order list. Jim Butcher is the only one I've found so far that gives his short stories in anthologies a timeline (between book x and book y).

I hate having to wait for the next book in a series, but waiting YEARS (5 years between 3 & 4, 12 years between 4 & 5 and going on 9 years for book 6) for the sequels in Jean M. Auel's Earth Children series has made waiting a year or less seem pretty much instananeous for me. lol Besides, there's so much out there to read!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Thirteenth Chime (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Emma Michaels (other topics)