Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Group Discussions > Raves and Reviews: Helpful or Disappointing?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Do you guys think reviews help or disappoint you when it comes to reading a popular book?
Personally I try to stay away from the rants and raves of popular books because in the end it’s hard for a book to live up to all that glory. There are a few book that I’ve read that were highly reviewed but they disappointed me like Fallen.

But I’ve tried some really popular books and they didn’t disappoint me at all like
The Hunger Games and Twilight (before the movie).

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Any negative review on a book really hurts me and my ability to like a book. How are you supposed to get excited about a book when you've already heard such bad feedback and opinions on it? Bad reviews definatly don't help a book at all for me.

If it's a positive review it does help me to get very excited about it but I try to stay away from reviews in general. When it's a positive review and I am really disappointed in the book, it makes me feel bad.

message 3: by Deborah (last edited Aug 22, 2010 05:16PM) (new)

Deborah Ledford (deborahjledford) I rely more on word of mouth than reviews. However I do pay more attention to a starred review in Publishers Weekly. What I dislike most is when a reviewer tells the story--not to the point of a spoiler, but the information I most want are words that resonate with me: is the theme compelling, dialogue spot-on, lasting characters. So many reviews seem to merely state book jacket copy and give me no real idea why I would want to read the book.

message 4: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisebeth) I try to ignore reviews and just talk to different people that have read books I want to read.
Sometimes I find the people that review books disappoint me immensely. I really wonder if some of those people are just never pleased with anything they read.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 504 comments I can take them both ways; I almost bypassed Bewitched by Jill Barnett and thank goodness I didn't cause I really loved it. I have to take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt..

message 6: by Sans (new)

Sans I prefer word of mouth as well. Many uber popular books have really disappointed me (Uglies, Time Travelers Wife, the Mortal Instruments series, Bridget Jones, I could go on and on). But if a friend recommends a book to me (and by friend I mean someone whose opinion I trust and I know we have similar tastes in books) then I'm more likely to enjoy the book. Reading is such a personal and arbitrary pursuit, I find it difficult to put too much faith in a stranger's opinion.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 931 comments Yes Sans, it's a lot easier to take a book recommendation from a friend than a stranger.

message 8: by Sans (new)

Sans I've seen DearAuthor.com mentioned in several places lately. I'm going to have to boogie on over to that website one of these days.

message 9: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (shyluck13) Reviews tend to be helpful to me - they get me interested and I can get a feel for who the characters are. I'm a reviewer myself (for my blog) so I try to write about what people should know: thoughts on the voice, writing style, plot and overall opinions.