Q&A with Laura Munson discussion

playing victim

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Munson (goodreadscomlauramunson) | 3 comments Mod
Why do so many of us play victim? Do we get used to our pain, and thereby end up perpetuating it? I found that to be my formula for many years while meeting with so much publishing world rejection.

message 2: by Kp (new)

Kp | 3 comments Laura wrote: "Why do so many of us play victim? Do we get used to our pain, and thereby end up perpetuating it? I found that to be my formula for many years while meeting with so much publishing world rejection."

message 3: by Kp (new)

Kp | 3 comments I find I play that role when I am not ready to take responsibility and fearful that I'll never be "good enough."

message 4: by Laura (new)

Hi, KP. Thanks for being here. This is my first "discussion" so let me know if I'm not doing it right. I'm a techno peasant, as I've said often of late. To that end, I know that feeling of not being "good enough" very well. But I've learned it's just a story we tell ourselves so that we don't have to face our fears. The irony is that this kind of story ends up letting our fears run us, in my opinion. I have a postit on my desk that a house guest left years ago upon her departure. It says, "YOU ARE ENOUGH." I refer to it often and it always helps. Maybe we should all have postits with this little pearl of empowerment. yrs. Laura

message 5: by Kp (new)

Kp | 3 comments This is my first discussion as well! I think we could bottle and sell "you are good enough" mojo. I try to meditate on a philosophy you touched on in your book....something like "all that I need I already have." Playing the victim is also a handy way to self-sabotage. Both keep one from pursuing happiness and fulfillment. I find that the closer I get to a deadline the more victim/self-sabotage/defeatist my behavior becomes. Recently, I started a new way to chip away at this...I meditate. Not in a dark room or anything... I just repeat affirmations that keep me from indulging in the negative.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Good for you, KP. We writers have to set a new paradigm. No more tortured artist. I want to see free artists. It all begins with us as individuals. We are NOT are books. They are OF us. It has to begin in health. Just a walk a day. In flip flops, even. And healthy food. I had a smoothy today for the first time in a long time and it was so...damn...goood.

message 7: by Leila (new)

Leila Summers (leilasummers) | 1 comments Hi Laura,
Just to say that I heard your interview on Hay House radio and then rushed out to buy your book. I loved it and passed it onto my sister who is going through a separation. She enjoyed it so much that she highlighted sections to read her her husband. I told her to keep it. Even if they don't get back together, I'm sure it will help their relationship and friendship. I've written my memoir about my husband's suicide and it was just published last week. I'd be honored if you would check it out. I'd love to send you a copy to see what you think.
Kindest,
Leila