Amazon Kindle discussion

Cover Art

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (syar) | 142 comments I am sure that I am not the only person here that thinks the same but do you miss books cover art? I know most Kindle books have the art in the file but to me it feels like its an afterthought. To me when I go into a book shop the first thing to hit me is the artwork, and that is what makes me interested in a book. I don't know if that has something to do my graphic design background but i like a book to stand out and intrigue me with the art.

I feel we are loosing this on the Kindle. I like the fact that the kindle will throw you right into the beginning of the book so you don't have to click through loads of legal and copyright text but then no one will ever see the beautiful art. People are spending alot of time and effort on these and they are getting skipped though. I guess the Kindle apps on the iPad, iPhone, PC etc help but I do 95% of my reading on the kindle.

I have been thinking recently about getting a nice bookshelf and buying my favorite books in hardback, or paperback if not, to show off my favorite books and there artwork.

Sorry, rant over now, but does anyone feel the same?

message 2: by Anita (last edited Aug 22, 2010 08:12AM) (new)

Anita | 11 comments I understand where you're coming from - there's something irresistible about a beautifully bound book and/or a particularly artistic cover. I have a few myself that are like little treasures and I have filled a couple of bookcases with books I've read but don't want to part with because, well, I just like them! And I'm pretty visual so that's one reason I will continue to have both in my life - books and a kindle. I even like some paperback art. Then again, I'm one of those people who used to love album cover art, ha ha! It's just never been the same since all my music went digital. :)

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Kaufman (andrewekaufman) For me, if I really enjoy a book or find it to be particularly appealing in appearance, I'll buy the paper version and put it in my book case, along with my other favorites. While I love my Kindle, I still like to go back to my collection of books and look through them.

While the Savage Sleeps by Andrew E. Kaufman- Author, Supernatural Thrillers

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna | 50 comments Aaron wrote: "I am sure that I am not the only person here that thinks the same but do you miss books cover art? I know most Kindle books have the art in the file but to me it feels like its an afterthought. To ..."

I agree that I miss it. I don't necessarily need a hardcopy JUST for the cover (I reserve DTB for favorite authors, series,etc), but I do miss seeing the cover. Once in awhile I will see a poor representation on the kindle, but would LOVE it if future kindles could include full color replicas of a book's cover!

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert | 58 comments The covers are nice. But I do like it when there is added artwork in the ebooks.

message 6: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments So far the only books I have found where you need a physical copy are Dan Brown's Robert Langdon books. There have been cover puzzles that provide clues either to the current novel or the next.