Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Fantasy/Sci-Fi > Paranormal Books/Ghost Stories

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) Hey all, I just read Ruined: A Ghost Story by Paula Morris and I realized that I don't really read a lot of paranormal books, but I'd like to. I was wondering if any of you could contribute to a list of some good ghost stories to add to my ever-growing TBR.

Ruined is about Rebecca, a NYC girl who has to move in with a family friend in New Orleans while her dad takes an extended business trip to China. She has to go to the local private school and is completely snubbed by the hoity-toities. The only person who befriends her is a young girl she meets in the cemetary, who turns out to be a ghost that's been haunting there for 155 years. Rebecca becomes embroiled in the mystery of her friend's murder and discovers a whole lot about her own family in the process.

New Orleans is such a natural setting for a ghost story. I remember going on a haunted walking tour of the French Quarter when I visited years ago. This book reminded me of how much I've always loved ghost stories. My mom always used to bring a new book of ghost stories every time we went camping and would read them to my brother and I was we snuggled in our sleeping bags in the family tent at night.

So, got any other good ones?

message 2: by Arya (new)

Arya (izlandzadi) | 686 comments As far as I can tell there are two types of ghost stories:

1) Humorous ghost stories that are sort of making fun of how scary ghost stories usually are

And

2) Genuinely scary ghost stories with an "oooh" creepy factor that make you extremely nervous when things go bump in the night.

For the first catagory I have read Platinum (rather strange since the ghost is not really a ghost but something a little different) and The Mediator series - the first of which is Shadowland - which is HILARIOUS, yet also mysterious and rather intersting on the whole.

In the second catagory (the creepy ghost stories) I would recommend Elizabeth Chandler's series Legacy of Lies & Don't Tell, which contains four books of which I have read the first three. The series is definitely intersting and mysterious.

Those are all of the ghost books I can think of at the moment, they were all good (though the first two suggestions are more "chick-lit" that traditional ghost stories) and I would strongly recommend all of them!!

Hope that was helpful . . . :D

message 3: by M. (new)

M. B. You should try A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb. It is a very different kind of ghost story which I thought was pretty interesting.

I read Ruined and didn't much care for it. I guess I found it lacking plot and character wise. The setting and descriptions of New Orleans were amazing though. A perfect place to find ghosts walking around!

Not really a ghost story, but about the afterlife is Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. Another really good book!

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) I have read Certain Slant of Light, and I have Elsewhere on my TBR, M. I only gave Ruined 3 stars, so I feel ya there.
Arya, I'll have to check out Legacy of Lies & Don't Tell, because your category two is really what I'm in the mood for.
Thanks both of you!

message 5: by Arya (last edited Aug 24, 2010 01:09PM) (new)

Arya (izlandzadi) | 686 comments I hope you like them!! They're deliciously creepy. . .

Karis (YA Litwit) Jacobstein (YALitwit) | 419 comments I just read Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann, and I know there were people that really didn't like it, but I thought it was really good. At first I thought it was going to be stupid because, seriously? A desk responsible for teens going missing? But I have to admit, Lisa McMann totally pulled it off. You just never see the resolution coming. I was knocked over. It was one of those books that I just couldn't put down until I had finished. So creepy!

message 7: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments It's a little ghost hints, but it's creepy Project 17 by Laurie Faria Stolarz

message 8: by Kellyflower (last edited Mar 22, 2011 03:35PM) (new)

Kellyflower | 136 comments The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue
The Mercy of Thin Air
It's not a YA book, but it was good.

I loved A Certain Slant Of Light. You may also like

The Clearing by Heather Davis
The Clearing

Second Glance by Jodi Picoult
Second Glance

message 9: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments I just read a fun ghost story called Dying to Meet You: 43 Old Cemetery Road by Kate Klise, which is all told in correspondence and newspaper articles and was more of a funny ghost story. It's a series, so I'll be looking for the next few to read.