WACC- Writers Against Cardboard Characters discussion

Characters Q-Z > Zamara

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 14, 2010 10:51PM) (new)

Name: Zamara (pronounced zuh-MAHR-uh. This is a fantasy-ish story, so I don't know that she'll need a last name)

Appearance: Her skin is pretty tan, but it looks sickly--it's almost like she was born tan but she hasn't seen daylight in a long time. She has black hair that's stick-straight, medium-thick, and falls an inch or two above her shoulder blades. It's kind of limp and lifeless, so it gets in the way often. Her nose is long and pointed with a bump on the bridge of it. Eyes are brown and a teeny bit on the small side. They're pretty, but in a dark sort of way. Long, naturally curled eyelashes. Her face is fairly free of blemishes, though she gets blackheads or whiteheads on her forehead a lot. (Hehe, that sentence said 'head' three times.) Her skin is almost always dry and cold, especially on her hands. She's 5'4" and pretty thin from her lifestyle. Basically everything about her is dark, because she's a Stygian. That's the Greek word for darkness--the Stygians are kind of a clan of darkness-y-stuff. I'll be able to explain it once I iron out plot holes. Her smile is small, yet very genuine and sincere, and her lips are somewhat similar to Liv Tyler's. Random physical quirk: her toes are kind of long. Her hands and feet are her favorite physical features. She has slightly high cheekbones, narrow shoulders, and a heart-shaped face.

Things you know about the character so far: Fairly pessimistic, if anything, and she can be snarky when she wants to. Zamara can appear cold and aloof at first glance--that's because she is a deep thinker and has a bitter (usually practical) outlook on life. She's more blunt than your average girl, though that's not saying a lot. She has a very beautiful singing voice that she doesn't enjoy showing off. I don't know if she'll ever sing in front of anyone in the novel at all. It's not that she's nervous to sing, she just doesn't see a point in doing it in front of others. Anyway. She cares deeply for her family. She feels very passionately about a lot of things, but she doesn't confide these feelings to a lot of people to keep herself from harm. Her emotions run deeper than she lets on. A little slow to truly smile or laugh, even though she has a good (if not slightly twisted and ironic) sense of humor. She doesn't cry terribly often because she can usually get the tears under control before they fall. When she does cry, it's difficult for her to stop. She does get angry or irritated fairly easily, though. Her favorite color is dark blue, for now. That's subject to change. Zamara loves horses, but all of them get skiddish around her for some reason. The only horse that likes her is her own, called Brie (pronounced BREE). Fights with a SCIMITAR! And some magic, of course, though she's certainly not the most advanced "magician" around. She'll try to keep her temper in check if you berate her a little. Capable of being somewhat romantic, though she doesn't have much chance of falling in love because there aren't many males aroung. (Most of them died in a war a while back... long story.) She is loyal to the MAX. Clenches her teeth when she's nervous or is trying to control her emotions. She tries hard to be courageous, but she's secretly very wimpy and hates being put out of her comfort zone. She knows her limits almost too well would be another way to say it. She has a soft spot for children. Zamara is used to being a loner, but she doesn't necessarily mind having company. She's content being on her own or with others. She enjoys the nature she can find. (She doesn't see a lot of it where she lives--again, it's hard to explain.) Running isn't her strong suit. She's good with food and cooking things. She strongly believes there are two sides to every story, so she tries hard to listen to both of them and doesn't blame people as much as others do. This makes her a good person to vent to unless you're self-centered... hehe. I think I'll have her be a good fighter, since she needs redeeming qualities... She has sharp eyes, handy for tracking (mainly people, but some animals). This sometimes prevents her from seeing the big picture, though. Zamara is also extremely scared of fire.

Things you know about the character's past: She lives in this world called Paramytha (pronounced puh-RAM-i-thuh), but I need to do some serious world-building. She has one sister (Rhyll, older) and one brother (younger, needs a name). They're close and there isn't a whole lot of animosity between them, but they don't see each other much. I think her brother is going to be blind in one eye from an accident with magic when he was young. It's likely that both Zamara and Rhyll were at fault for this accident, so they treasure their younger brother more than usual. I'm trying to decide what her parents are like...

Where you think the character will end up: **SPOILERS CONTAINED**
Zamara will have been betrayed by a man she loved somewhere in the novel. She will also be on the losing side of a battle, and the next man she starts to love will be fighting on the opposing side. Like many of my characters, she's going through some major emotional and physical trauma. Pyre is going to stab her at some point, and she's probably going to suffer from some burn wounds towards the end. *rubs hands together evilly*

What you want help with: She's the lead in my NaNo, so she's very important. Is she balanced out in terms of physical flaws and redeeming qualities? I also feel like she's a little flat or clichéd, so help with her personality would be lovely.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

HOLY CRAP, that's the longest character profile I've ever posted on here!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Help? Please?

message 4: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 562 comments Hmmmm, interesting character. I shall get to work!

message 5: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (mediarulestheworld) I'll think about ways to help.

message 6: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 562 comments -Is a very good judge of character, but still likes giving people the benefit of the doubt.
-Has narrow shoulders
-Fights with a broadsword or a tomahawk?
-Is an AMAZING cook or something.
-Has a heart shaped face with high cheekbones
-Is deathly allergic to wasps/carrots/dogs....
-Has a soft spot for babies and children
-Plays the flute
-Is a natural leader
-likes to climb trees or pick flowers when no one's looking.
-Is a tad bit paranoid
-Is a slow runner.

message 7: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (mediarulestheworld) I agree with most of what's up there, except:

-Fights with a crossbow or magic.
-Plays the lyre.
-Is a natural loner.

message 8: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (mediarulestheworld) Or she's a total attention wh... you get the idea.

message 9: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 562 comments Yeah, a lyre might be better....XD

message 10: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 562 comments Y'know, so she has to sing and mortify herself. I'd read it!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for all the suggestions! Most of them will work. I think I'm going to make her less level-headed and more bitter. Thanks again!

message 12: by RedPath (new)

RedPath | 562 comments no problem!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Josh, you made me think twice about using magic in this story. I think I might, just to make things more interesting. Paramytha seems like a very bland place right now. =\

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

She should fight with a battle ax. I'm sorry. But ever since Gimli said, "bring your pretty face to my ax", I'm obsessed with them.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Mitch want's you to give her Liv Tyler lips so he won't feel like the only one with "rockstar" lips.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Hahaha!

I'm going to mull this over. The only reason I don't want her to do a lot of archery is because that would remind me of Katniss even more. Grr...

Do you think I should give her Liv Tyler lips? *laughs*

message 17: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (mediarulestheworld) Maxy wrote: "Josh, you made me think twice about using magic in this story. I think I might, just to make things more interesting. Paramytha seems like a very bland place right now. =\"

Magic always spices things up. Maybe she could battle people with magic.

Wait are you writing your NaNo story?!

message 18: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (mediarulestheworld) And a lyre. Don't forget the lyre.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Of course I'm not writing my NaNo story now! I'm just developing the crap out of it now so my inner editor will be happier.

message 20: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (mediarulestheworld) Good. What are you writing about it then? An outline? How is the format of it?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I currently have six pages of my notebook set aside for planning the plot; I've filled up three of them.

I'm just doing whatever I can. Character profiles, plot ideas... I'm using the Snowflake Method to develop it.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Maxy wrote: "Josh, you made me think twice about using magic in this story. I think I might, just to make things more interesting. Paramytha seems like a very bland place right now. =\"

MAGIC!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Maxy wrote: "Hahaha!

I'm going to mull this over. The only reason I don't want her to do a lot of archery is because that would remind me of Katniss even more. Grr...

Do you think I should give her Liv Ty..."

YES! Give her Liv Tyler lips!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

She should have a talking hedgehog named Chaw for a pet.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't ask where that name came from. Because I have no idea.

message 26: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (mediarulestheworld) I'm trying the snowflake method. It's surprisingly hard.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't want to do the snowflake method. I like doing things my own way.

message 28: by Joshua (new)

Joshua (mediarulestheworld) That's fine. I don't know if I like it though.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I read about it, and I'm like, "That sounds like slow torture."
I like to fly by the seat of my pants. It's more exciting.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I can understand if you guys like it. That's just what I'm doing. Besides, it helps channel my excitement. For me, planning a story is almost as fun as writing it.

Cassie, I shall give her Liv Tyler lips. Muahahaha.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

yay!

Sorry, honey, but my parents are yelling at me to go to bed.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay. No problem. =] Gute nacht!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

What do you think of the hedgehog idea?

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

It don't think it will work for the story. I want to write a realistic fiction sometime, though, so I could have a hedgehog in that one. =]

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

...How is a talking hedghog realistic fiction? That seems more fantasy.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I didn't see the talking part! HAHA!

Hrm... I don't know. *assumes thinking pose*

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

HAHAHAHA!

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I feel like she's flat. I'm not sure how to round out her character--maybe more redeeming qualities?

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, like what?

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Mainly personality-wise. She seems too in-the-middle of everything, does that make sense? She should probably be more opinionated...

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Quirks would be nice too... I'll be thinking of some...

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Maxy wrote: "Mainly personality-wise. She seems too in-the-middle of everything, does that make sense? She should probably be more opinionated..."

She should be kind of snarky. Or really snarky.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Maxy wrote: "Quirks would be nice too... I'll be thinking of some..."

She should have a funky hairstyle.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I like her hair the way it is in the description, but I think she should be a little snarky. Kender will be the more snarky one. Oh, the conversations they'll have...

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay for snarkiness! That's why I like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. They're snarky. Mitch is a little snarky too...

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Mitch is pretty snarky. Hehe.

Hrm... SHE NEEDS TO NOT BE LIKE KATNISS BECAUSE I DO NOT LIKE KATNISS ONE BIT! *freaks out*

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay. In what ways is she like Katniss?

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 29, 2010 03:52PM) (new)

She's too stoic and detatched. Thing is, I want her to be practical, but she seems too emotionless. I don't know how to make her a bit more emotional without making her.... I don't even know what I'm saying. Ehe.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe she has a hot temper. Maybe she cares passionately about something. I don't know. Just don't make her seem like she's always on her period.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha. Yeah, we don't want to do that. She does have a harder time controlling her anger than her sadness, so that could work. And she's passionate about... Italian food! No, wait, that's Jim from The Office. Hmm... Her dad? Sister? Brother? Mom? Something/someone else? Think, Maxy, think!

« previous 1 3