College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > MOCKINGJAY! (NO Spoilers..just chatter about it)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
First and foremost, I've heard that there has been spoilers floating around Goodreads about Mockingjay so be careful!!

Secondly, are any of you going to any release parties? Are you all sooo excited?!

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I think I'm going to try to avoid the internet in general until after I finish reading Mockingjay. You never know where you might read a spoiler!

I am SOOO excited. I took the day off of work! haha I might be going to one of her signings either next Friday or next Monday.

I wish I knew somebody in real life that was excited about this book...everyone always looks at me like I'm crazy! lol

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I do too Jen, I keep trying to explain it to people but they look at me like I'm crazy. Then I explain about the Games and the rebellion and they look at me like I'm really crazy. I've been trying to fill the void left by Catching Fire with other books but none are really doing the trick...I need to know how it ends! I have Tuesday off so I can devote the whole day to it (in between regular day off chores of course)

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I'm sooo excited! But I can't take the day off. :( It's my second day of classes. It's fun because a lot of my family members have read it as well as a lot of my friends so we all get to be excited about it together.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Honestly, I didn't really like the first two books all that much. They were maybe a 3 for me. I don't want to ruin the general happiness of the thread, so I won't go into detail. That said, I will be reading Mockingjay, if only to finish the series. I have a friend who is willing to lend it to me once she finishes it, so I won't have to buy it or anything. It is a group read, after all. Besides, it is written by a woman and has a female main character, so once I finish it I'm going to do a special series review on my blog, which should be fun.

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments I have my copy of Mockingjay on hold at my school library xD. So I should get it pretty soon after it's released.

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments lol. Way to take the excitment level down, Emily.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily  O (readingwhilefemale) | 487 comments Kimberly wrote: "lol. Way to take the excitment level down, Emily."

:(

I know, I'll fix it!
*turns on loud techno music*
*dancedancedance* *dancedancedance*
Wooooo!!!

There. Excitement level back up.

Also, THIS.

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments HAHA, Emily that's awesome. It worked. :D

And I'm almost embarrassed to say that I'm rather tempted to buy that shirt...

message 10: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 686 comments Jen & Annashu - It's the same for me! I don't know why, but here in Holland people just don't know about this series, it's so weird. I'm constantly bugging my friends about reading it and I've finally gotten my brother (who just started reading about 6 months ago) to read the first one and now he's asking for the second, which I keep forgetting to bring him..
I've preordered it, but sadly there are no release parties that I've heard of here. I wish I could take the day off to read it, but I don't think the people at dermatology (my next internship) would like that very much..

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Kimberly, I kind of want that shirt too!

message 12: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments I sadly still need to read the first one :(. Hopefully I'll be able to start it soon!

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess I think it's a hard series to explain because the premise sounds so horrific. But Collins does such a good job at creating the world. I really, really can't wait for Mockingjay to be out! I'm actually on the hold list at #270 or something ridiculous like that, though apparently the Columbus Metropolitan Library system has bought 136 copies of the book, so I might just wait. (And I'll have to be REALLY wary for spoilers!) But we'll see. If I pass through a bookstore on Tuesday, I may change my mind...

message 14: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments Yeahhh. I can't afford to buy books, especially when I haven't read the other books xD. I have a Barnes and Noble gift card, but I'm saving it for a couple other books I really want.

message 15: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments Awww, that stinks Anna :(. They should definitely stock it! You should protest!!!!

message 16: by David (last edited Aug 23, 2010 06:32AM) (new)

David (canadiandave) My Amazon Prime copy said "shipped" as of yesterday. That means I should get it Tuesday!

The copy I got before the the free student Amazon Prime has not shipped yet.

message 17: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Exciting!!

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Suzanne Collins reads from the first chapter of MOCKINGJAY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYC195...

**Don't watch the video if you don't want any SPOILERS from the first chapter!!!**

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess I have Mockingjay!!!!!

I was in Kroger Marketplace today picking up some odds and ends and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw someone stocking Mockingjay! I quickly grabbed it and ran to the checkout and it's sitting in my room, waiting to be read...TODAY!

message 20: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 686 comments YAY! for you :) I'm sooo insanely jealous right now, it's not even funny. Happy reading!

message 21: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

LUCKY!!

message 22: by Jess (new)

Jess Thanks! Don't worry, I won't post any spoilers (or even a review yet). Go check out your grocery stores if you didn't preorder!!!!!

message 23: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments Haha. I'm first on the waiting list to get it from my school, so I'm just going to borrow it from da library :D.

message 24: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 308 comments I ordered mine from Amazon, and it says shipped. should be here tomorrow. I can't wait!

Jess I'm so jealous, but I guess I can wait just one more day lol

message 25: by David (new)

David (canadiandave) I think Kroger may be the only one who accidentally put it out early. Aren't there big penalties for stores that do?

message 26: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
When I worked at Rite Aid a long time ago, we would just start reading it in the back on breaks and stuff, then buy it on the correct day. :)

message 27: by Richard (last edited Aug 23, 2010 01:10PM) (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments David - Yes, there is. I remember when the 7th Harry Potter book came out a place shipped it early, and got sued for it.

message 28: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments When Breaking Dawn was released we had it in the back room for more than a week before the street date. We were told that if we touched them or removed them from the shelf we would be fired.

message 29: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I know there are penalties, but I think JK Rowling took things to the extreme.
When the packing came, it was usually one of those cardboard floor stands, and the slip of paper that said do not display until..... was sometimes under the books. Who really is going to check if they aren't familiar with books and release dates?
I feel bad that people get fined for mistakes. Unless, of course, they weren't "mistakes". I guess it would be hard to prove one way versus the other.

message 30: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments Yeah, that's true. They should have it stamped on the top or put it in writing for the employees to read. How do the books arrive? Like are they covered in plastic?

message 31: by Jess (new)

Jess Uh oh. Well, I haven't brought my copy out in public yet. I saw a lot of tomorrow's releases already out at the Kroger's near me, though. Hmm.

message 32: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments Dang. Either they're really ignorant of the new releases or they don't really care. That's baaaaaadd.

message 33: by David (new)

David (canadiandave) I'm reading mine already. I love Prime shipping. It came at 6:06.

message 34: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Oh no fair! I don't get mine until after work tomorrow! You're all a bunch of cheaters. :-P

message 35: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments If it makes you feel better Kimberly, I just got Hunger Games from the library xD. Haven't read it yet.

message 36: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments lol, thanks Richard. You're actually smart about it, you don't have to wait for each of the books to come out!

message 37: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments Yep. I intelligently waited to read them without knowing it. THAT is how smart I am :D.

message 38: by David (new)

David (canadiandave) Enjoy it. It's so good and I've only read part one so far. The rest after work. ~sigh~

message 39: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments Haha. I'm still waiting for The Hunger Games day for me xD. Bahhh I need to finish The Maze Runner so I can join in on the fun!

message 40: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 308 comments the UPS man should be here any minute. Waiting is sooooo agonising lol

message 41: by Meg (new)

Meg (aurawn) | 44 comments My book is here! The UPS man dropped it off 15 minutes ago. I'm still re-reading The Hunger Games though, so I can't start it until tomorrow (have to re-read Catching Fire, too!) I can't wait, I'm so excited -- I pre-ordered this book back in April and now it's here!

message 42: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Just a few more hours until I can get it!!

message 43: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 686 comments I preordered mine and the store hasn't gotten it yet... This totally sucks cause other stores in the chain have it stocked and mine couldn't be bothered to order mine in time somehow. Evil!

message 44: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments Daisy - That sucks, what store did you pre-order it from?

message 45: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 686 comments Selexyz, it's a Dutch chain I think, it had the advantage of me being able to just pick it up at the store and not having to pay for the shipping.

message 46: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I've read almost the entire book today. I keep trying to distract myself to make it last longer but then I always get drawn back in.

message 47: by Richard (new)

Richard (nemzep95) | 448 comments Yeahh. You could always read it again Annashu.

message 48: by Jen (last edited Aug 24, 2010 10:00PM) (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments Has anyone finished the book yet? I need to discuss it with someone! lol :)

Are we going to have a separate topic for spoilers?

message 49: by Jess (new)

Jess I finished! Wow. Totally unexpected ending in so many ways. AHHHH.

message 50: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments You know whats pathetic? I'm almost nervous to read the book!

« previous 1