Fans of Maps discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 644 comments Mod
Ok, so Bill Bryson has written lots of books. Surely you've read one of his and have something to say here? I've read a few but have mixed feelings.... tell us your favorite and maybe I'll think that it's one of his better ones, too.

If you haven't read any of his stuff yet, pick one up at random. If you want guidance, my favorite *so far* is A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail. I'll tell y'all more later, after some of you have contributed to this thread.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe is *not* one of his best, imo. As I said in my review, I got almost 1/2way and gave up. Too much witty whining, not enough Europe. For example - he hiked over a hill to get from one village to another, tripped, cried, almost sprained his ankle, took off his shoe and sock at a cafe to check on the injury, then hiked back over the hill. Oh, and saw some European stuff. No map.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

I finally read In a Sunburned Country. Since he loves the country, he's not whining the whole time. But he's still, imo, rather superficial & judgemental. The map is adequate. We're discussing it in the group Aussie Readers and those good folks have mixed feelings about it.

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Ok, and now I've read the non-travel book, Short History... (add book link not working for me right now) and I was not impressed. Not horrible, but as I said in my review, best for novice autodidacts.

message 5: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) I read A Walk in the Woods and I really liked that book....I can say I've not read any of his other books yet.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

That is one I do like. I'm just not sure if it's all that different (better) the rest (imo) or if it's because the subject matter is so much more relevant & interesting to me. (My dad is a long-distance hiker, has done both AT and PCT and several others.)

I don't remember - does A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail have a map?

message 7: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) Uh...I don't know. I had the physical book but ended up listening to the audio at work. I will try to find my copy this week.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Oh, I bet it was fun on audio.

message 9: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) Yeah I actually laughed out loud at work a few times.

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Yay!