What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Woman Writer in New York adopts dog

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John (jack2410) Upon the urgings of friends a writer living in New York city adopts a dog. The book is about the life these two had together. I think maybe the writer was recovering from an illness or a divorce or something when she decided to adopt the dog. I think in real life this author died of cancer and did have a beloved dog companion. Thanks.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarb-ken) | 52 comments What the Dog Saw?

message 3: by John (new)

John (jack2410) John wrote: "Upon the urgings of friends a writer living in New York city adopts a dog. The book is about the life these two had together. I think maybe the writer was recovering from an illness or a divorce or..."

thank you, Barbara, but I don't think that's it. I went to B&N and checked the description of _What the Dag Saw_. Thank you for trying. You're the 1st reply I've gotten on my quest. There's one other book I'm trying to recall. I'll wait for while to bring that one up.

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarb-ken) | 52 comments Thanks ffor replying Good luck.

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 147 comments Could it be Rusty, A Cocker Spaniel by S.P. Meek?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Fiction or nonfiction?

message 7: by Christie (new)

Christie | 153 comments I'm guessing it's not, but there are some similarities between the book you describe and Stay, by Allie Larkin. (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/73...)

The woman (Van) who adopts the dog is a free lance grant writer, and she decides she needs a dog while drunk (and watching a Rin Tin Tin marathon) and suffering from the pain of her long time best friend marrying the only man Van's ever loved. If I remember correctly they did live in New York, but I believe the story was set in upstate New York, not the city.

The things that make me think this is not the book you are talking about are the fact that it was published just a couple months before you made this post, so it would have still been a new book. If you read the book you're looking for much before you made this post, it's not likely this one. Also, as far as I know, the author DOES indeed have dogs she loves, but is still alive and well.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Brenda wrote: "Could it be Rusty, A Cocker Spaniel by S.P. Meek?"

S.P. Meek was male. Assuming the OP meant that the woman writer and the author of the book were the same person.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

There's also Great Dog Books:
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/66...

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

John has left the group so I'm moving this to Abandoned.