Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > How are you spending your weekend?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,520 (1520 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 30 31

message 1: by Polstar (new)

Polstar Well - for us in the UK most of my weekend has gone - but as I sit here watching crap TV I thought I'd ask!
Me? Today has been spent on the sofa in front of the TV. Tragic I know but I haven't had TV for 6 months - and today we got cable installed - so I'm indulging myself while my bf is working. I have a JD and coke next to me, a few Graphic Novels to read and some new potatoes on the boil to go with my salade nicoise that I'm going to make later.
Tomorrow? Off to Ikea to get a new sofa - exciting times eh?
What about you?

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments Well, college girl number two leaves the house on Tuesday. So I am washing some of her clothes and pitching some of her accumulated papers. Just pitched a large trash bag full of her magazines from sixth grade--American Girl and Cat Fancy. She saves the most incredible crap--boxes from things she bought back when Bush Sr. was president. One bag down, many bags to go.

message 3: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Friends are coming over for a BBQ and some time by the pool. They'll be arriving any moment, so it's back to cleaning for me.

message 4: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart I am in my dorm. Took a nap with some friends earlier, now I'm trying to decide whether to go to the dining hall for dinner or try some delivery.

Aside for the reading assignments due for the first day of class, life is pretty good.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 79 comments Saturdays me and my lady have a movie night, taking turns in choosing a vid. my turn, and we watched the Shawshank Redemption, which she'd never seen, and was blown away by.

Tomorrow, if the weather's even half decent a nice bike ride out into the Peak District, i think.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

message 6: by Barb (new)

Barb Went out for dinner with a a couple sets of friends while all our kids were elsewhere, then we headed back to one of their places and had a few drinks and got rowdy.
This morning we hit the road to pick up our daughter from my mom, and now we're relaxing a bit.
I may paint the kitchen tomorrow.

message 7: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I spent my day today buying a new car. I broke a tie rod on my old one the other day hitting a nasty pothole, and decided to just buy a new one instead of getting it fixed. The old one had 170K miles on it and needed work.

One of our local dealerships was having a big sale this weekend, so I went out and ended up leaving with a 2006 Toyota Scion, a $200 gift certificate for a local Home Depot-type store and a $20 gift certificate for Olive Garden. I'm going to use the latter to treat to lunch the co-worker who loaned me a car for three days.

Now I'm researching local charities who fix up broken cars and give them to people in need. I'm planning to donate the old one and hope it ends up in the hands of a single mom who needs a car to get a job or something.

message 8: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Our guests have now all left for home and it's very quiet here. There were about 17 people over, with maybe 10 kids in the pool splashing around. We managed to get them out for a bite to eat, then they were back at it.

Fun day, but I'm exhausted. Tomorrow is a nice, relaxing 50 mile bike ride.

message 9: by Félix (last edited Aug 21, 2010 07:49PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm enjoying (not) the rumbling of about 30 extra-loud, extra-vibratory motorcycles as they make the circuit between Council Bluffs, IA and Omaha using the I-480 bridge ramp that is about 75 feet from my window -- again and again and again.

Wait ... here they come again. I'd better pause the DVR as I attempt to watch The Informant on HBO.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I had a lovely walk to the neighborhood bakery in breezy 70 degree weather. On the way back, I called a friend and caught up with her since I hadn't talked to her for awhile.

Now I'm doing laundry, and I should vacuum. I may make some banana bread, since I have three old bananas. I think I'll change into shorts first, though...

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11605 comments Phil wrote: "Fun day, but I'm exhausted. Tomorrow is a nice, relaxing 50 mile bike ride."

Replying to myself. How gauche.

The ride was fun and I met five new people. I hate that it was over 85 degrees by 9:30 AM. Hate!

The group is having a movie night soon, with a BBQ and an outdoor screening of "Breaking Away."

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 79 comments Phil wrote: "Phil wrote: "Fun day, but I'm exhausted. Tomorrow is a nice, relaxing 50 mile bike ride."

Replying to myself. How gauche.

The ride was fun and I met five new people. I hate that it was over 85 ..."

4107783 50 miles, nice. i just did 30. but i left the start a bit late and needed to get back before the supermarket shut. damned sunday trading hours!

message 13: by Misha (last edited Aug 22, 2010 02:41PM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Today I'm sweating learning to drive a stick shift for the first time in my life. I'm doing pretty well, except that I'm still a little iffy with getting moving again after I stop at a stop light. I'm managing to do it without stalling the engine today, but not without rolling back ever so slightly and that freaks me out. Too many drivers do NOT leave an assured clear distance ahead at a stop light, so there's inevitably someone right on my ass at a stop light, and I'm paranoid about rolling back and hitting someone. Legally, it would be their fault for following too close, but I'd like not to damage my shiny new car just because other people drive like idiots.

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
This was my first weekend after the first full week of school so I've been pooped. It feels so good to lounge around with baby girl and Sweeter and catch up.
This weekend is a huge festival in my town so we went downtown yesterday and walked around in the sweltering heat. We ended up sitting in the shade, working crossword puzzles and drinking beer while listening to a 80 year old blues man. Last night my mom made everyone dinner and they all went back down to see Earth Wind and Fire.
Today we went to Target to stock up for the week. I just made a huge pot of chili beans. Now, lesson planning.

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I spent a large portion of Saturday driving back home from Holden Beach, NC. Traffic was ridiculous and I discovered it is difficlt to drive wearing flipflops. Today I've done almost nothing except unpack, drink bourbon and read.

message 16: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24076 comments Mod
Today on my porch in the shade I actually had to put on a long sleeved shirt. I thought that moment would never come, frankly. Now I'm trying to decide what I want more, ice cream, or really strong dark beer.

Oh, and this morning I saw the first hummingbird I've ever seen here. I was so excited. At first I thought it was just a really big insect, like some insane cicada, but then as it flitted around a locust tree it paused long enough that I could see it was a bird. I didn't know they liked locusts. Then I was inspired to hang my hummingbird feeder which has been sitting gathering dust.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I spent most of Saturday sick in bed with food poisoning, and today was spent walking off the rest of my queasiness while baking in the sun at the zoo.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Ooh, maybe it was egg salmonella.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It was bad Mexican food. It actually tasted great, but both my husband and I got sick from it.

message 20: by Barb (new)

Barb Feeling better today Stacia?

message 21: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i took a long weekend off from working on my master thesis. thursday: funeral + dinner with my parents, brother and sister. friday: picking up my three sisters from their day at an amusement park, which was a good chance for speeding + dinner at the mac, because that's what my youngest sister likes, and she hasn't been there this summer yet. saturday: shopping trip with my mother and two sisters. we went to 's hertogenbosch by train, visited the cathedral and shopped for clothes. then by train to utrecht where we had indian food, and the train back home. sunday: church, games, books and cryptic puzzles.

message 22: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Today on my porch in the shade I actually had to put on a long sleeved shirt. I thought that moment would never come, frankly. Now I'm trying to decide what I want more, ice cream, or really stro..."

i have a pair of hummingbirds that feed almost all the time these days. They are actually managing to drain the feeder, so I have to refill it every 3 days.

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Love those creatures.

message 24: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments janine wrote: "thursday: funeral + dinner with my parents, brother and sister..."

Funeral? Whose?

message 25: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments Just back from a weekend camping on the shores of Lake Michigan, which has the most beautiful beaches anywhere in the lower 48.

What can I say? I'm a homer.

message 26: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments Jonathan wrote: "janine wrote: "thursday: funeral + dinner with my parents, brother and sister..."

Funeral? Whose?"

a neighbour we were very close to. he died the saturday before in a motorcycle accident. he was only 46. there's also a thread in the unbearable category.

message 27: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I'm so sorry Janine, I must have missed that thread. My condolences. Gecondoleerd. What a terrible loss.

message 28: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments dank je, jonathan.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Barb wrote: "Feeling better today Stacia?"

Oh, sorry I missed this. I'm feeling better now, thank you. :)

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i am going to the Red Bull MotoGP superbike races this weekend in indy

message 31: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I finally got a hummingbird at my feeder today. The feeder is about 3 feet from the chair I sit in while reading, so it was very cool. He/she didn't seem to be bothered by me and came back 5-6 times. I was wondering if they have any songs, calls, or cheeps, and then I heard one, very small and faint. It sounded a little like a rubber ducky being squeezed, except so quietly you would have to be sitting within inches.

"Hummingbirds are continuously hours away from starving to death, and are able to store just enough energy to survive overnight." - Wiki.

message 32: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Here's hoping the term "got a hummingbird" does not indicate the use of firearms.

message 33: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Nooo! I would never use a firearm on a hummingbird. Unless I were super hungry.

message 34: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments they taste like chicken

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

We have a hummingbird that sits in a tree near our feeder, and chases other hummers away.

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Very territorial, yup.

message 37: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments They've been dive-bombing over my head when I go near the feeder. Those hummingbirds are hungry suckers! They drain the feeder every 3 days.

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I miss them. Don't see too many from my 6th floor loft.

message 39: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7069 comments One of my hospice ladies lived in a senior high rise. Several of the residents set out dishes of grape jelly and orange halves in the courtyard and they had tons of Baltimore Orioles. I've never seen so many.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Larry wrote: "I miss them. Don't see too many from my 6th floor loft."

You should put out a feeder Larry, they may find it.

message 41: by Félix (last edited Aug 30, 2010 06:25AM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) I can't remember the last time I saw an oriole that wasn't in Camden Yards. I was reading last night about how about 50% of the songbirds in North America have gone effectively extinct in the last 100 years due to loss of habitat.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

We have orioles come through every spring, but they don't seem to stay long.

message 43: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Larry wrote: "I can't remember the last time I saw an oriole that wasn't in Camden Yards. I was reading last night about how about 50% of the songbirds in North America have gone effectively extinct in the last..."

I know, this depresses me so. We used to hear meadowlarks and whippoorwills and bobwhites on my grandparents' farm all the time. I haven't heard a whippoorwill or bobwhite there since I was a kid.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments We were supposed to go canoeing on Monday, but our friend who was supposed to book it decided to book white water rafting instead. I have always been somewhat terrified of white water rafting, but it looks like I'm going anyway.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Anything class 3 or under really isn't a big problem Sarah, a class 4 rapids can get the blood flowing though. Just check to see what level rapids you are going through.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments OK. Of course, maybe it's better not to know...

message 47: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments A) I might go to a tea party rally, just to see what it's like.

B) I'm going to read.

C) On Sunday night there's an end of summer night boat parade on the lake...those are kind of cool.

message 48: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6017 comments Last hurrah up at the cottage. Taking the boats in. Highs will only be in the 60's all weekend which I'm glad to see, but it seems like Memorial Day was only last week.

message 49: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments i will be celebrating my sister's birthday. she turns twenty today and gets a wisdom tooth removed.

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Ugh. Happy birthday?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 30 31