Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Book Lists by Author > Linda Byler

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Apr 17, 2011 05:16AM) (new)

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1574 comments Mod
Could one of our librarians update #3 to include the cover?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I...

Thank you

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Brand (pixieauthoress) Done! :)

message 4: by Adina (new)

Adina Senft | 26 comments What a great cover--I'm glad they use the same girl for all of them. I'm looking forward to Lizzie's continuing adventures :)

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Did anyone else consider her books to be a little oddly written? I liked the story lines and the characters grew on me,but they were really simplistic compared to other Amish fiction I've read,and it also seemed like the author skipped from scene to scene without trying to bridge them together making the plots a little harder to follow.

message 6: by Diane U (new)

Diane U (djuseless) | 1411 comments I have read a few of her books and I see what you are saying. But I do remember reading somewhere that Linda is, or was, Amish. I did notice that she does go into more details about everyday Amish life since she lived it. Everyone's writing style is different but I think her personal Amish expereinces make up for it!

message 7: by Janet (new)

Janet | 153 comments I was not impressed with her books, Rachel I think maybe you are rightabout it being simplistic. I decided not to finish this series.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Diane,yes,the books said that she is/was Amish,which is why I picked them up at the library. And partially why I stuck with them.

And Janet,I ended up reading all 3 anyway,but I could definitely tell that she didn't go beyond 8th grade. As I have a B.A. in English,I found the poor writing style rather distracting,but I really do try to finish most of what I start reading even if it means finishing a small series that isn't too good. Part of why I read is to see how other people write. One of the things I was told in my writing courses at college was "if you want to write,then read. Read everything! trash, classics, everything and see how they do it. then write." (quote may not be exact, and I don't remember where it's from) And while I may not read everything,I do read quite a lot :). But I completely understand why you gave up on the series,and I was rather tempted to do the same.

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam Burke | 3 comments Rachel wrote: "Did anyone else consider her books to be a little oddly written? I liked the story lines and the characters grew on me,but they were really simplistic compared to other Amish fiction I've read,and ..."

I only read one of her books and felt the same way. I don't mean to be critical of her writing, but it was not appealing to me so I decided to spend my time on books I could enjoy more.

message 10: by Carolyn (last edited Aug 02, 2016 07:26AM) (new)

Carolyn we are reading her series ' Lancaster Burning' for July 2015; and I hope to be open to seeing her good points in the writer she is. This is a suspenseful with
romance.

message 11: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Patterson (cnnamongirlaolcom) I just finished Hester on the Run (Hester’s Hunt for Home, #1) and enjoyed it a lot. I have the second book in the series on hold at the library.

message 12: by Christy (new)

Christy | 18 comments Deanne Linda's second book in the Hester's Hunt for Home is up for a giveaway. Wasn't sure if you saw that or not.

message 13: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Patterson (cnnamongirlaolcom) Thank you. I'll go enter it.

message 14: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn july we had a monthly read of linda Bylers Lancaster burning series, book 1 and now amazon has this kindle addition for $1.99; I am on the conclusion of the the three book series; and it has so much to offer and good reading; highly recommended; as a few of us noted who read the first book, also