Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Let's Get Specific! > Superhero/ villain theme

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Hi, I'm looking for sci-fi romance novels that have that sort of superhero vs villain theme. I've spent some time going through my physical tbr pile and could only find Phenomenal Girl 5 (SHOMI) by A.J. Menden , Mind Games (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #1) by Carolyn Crane , and Tekgrrl (Leisure Fiction) by A.J. Menden . I guess I'm looking for some titles where the hero or heroine has 'super' powers not 'magical' powers if that makes any sense. I'm thinking along the lines of books or manga that have that X-Men, Watchmen, Superman/ Supergirl feel, but with some romance. Thanks for your suggestions!

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Stixrude | 36 comments Hmmm... the only one that comes immediately to mind is Blaze of Glory by Sheryl Nantus. I'm sure there are others... anybody?

message 3: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Aug 21, 2010 09:35AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 15 comments I don't know if this fit what you are looking for, but someone recommended this book to me. I haven't read it yet, but the blurb looks intriguing.

Tsunami Blue by Gayle Ann Williams

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Sandra wrote: "Hmmm... the only one that comes immediately to mind is Blaze of Glory by Sheryl Nantus. I'm sure there are others... anybody?"

Thanks! That one looks really good, and the gr ratings are pretty high. I've decided to scale back on the book buying right now (I've said that every month since January!), but I'm putting it on my "to buy" list.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Yz the Whyz wrote: "I don't know if this fit what you are looking for, but someone recommended this book to me. I haven't read it yet, but the blurb looks intriguing.

Tsunami Blue by Gayle Ann Williams"

Yes, the blurb does sound look intriguing. I have a copy of this one. I'll have to move it up on my tbr list. I love the cover.

message 6: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Aug 21, 2010 09:44AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 15 comments I agree on the cover.

The bookmark I'm currently using is a promo of this book, and hubby commented, "Hey that is a pretty girl, too pale though." : )

Hey, another suggestion you can use to clean that TBR...LOL!

message 7: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Green (laurieagreen) | 146 comments I immediately thought of Blaze of Glory, too. I've read Tsunami Blue and I think if you're looking for a superhero type, you'll be disappointed.

It's much more of an apocalyptic, very ala Water World except the survivors are dealing with regular tsunamis.

message 8: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Hey, Michelle. I know of Sydney Croft's ACRO series. I've heard that it's like X-Men, but it is erotica, just a warning.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore new_user wrote: "Hey, Michelle. I know of Sydney Croft's ACRO series. I've heard that it's like X-Men, but it is erotica, just a warning."

Thanks NU, I'll have to look into getting that one too!

message 10: by CaliGirlRae (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 67 comments Black and White (The Icarus Project, #1) by Jackie Kessler Is another one by two authors. I heard good things about it but haven't checked it out myself. Still in the huge tbr mountain. Lol.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Rae wrote: "Black and White (The Icarus Project, #1) by Jackie Kessler Is another one by two authors. I heard good things about it but haven't checked it out myself. Still in the huge tbr mountain. Lol."

That looks really good! I can't wait to get a copy of this one.

message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine The only other superhero themed books that I can think of are The Signs of the Zodiac Series by Vicki Pettersson.

The Scent of Shadows (Sign of the Zodiac, #1) by Vicki Pettersson The Taste of Night (Sign of the Zodiac, #2) by Vicki Pettersson The Touch of Twilight (Sign of the Zodiac, #3) by Vicki Pettersson City of Souls (Sign of the Zodiac, #4) by Vicki Pettersson

message 13: by Jody (new)

Jody Wallace (jodywallace) Jennifer Estep has a superhero romance series set in the fictional series of Bigtime (Karma Girl et al). Another series is a little older, the Aphrodite series by Julie Kenner. Eilis Flynn wrote "Introducing Sonika" from Cerridwen, I think, but I haven't read that one yet. Then there's a series by AJ Menden called the EHJ series but it's from Dorchester so I don't know how many more of those we'll get?

I've read Black & White and it's very trad comic booky crossed with YA crossed with urban fantasy.

message 14: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Great list, Jody!

message 15: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Nantus | 16 comments *waves*

Hey, thanks for the shoutout!

I have to also echo "Black and White" as an excellent novel - and there's a sequel either out or due out really soon.

:)

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Sheryl wrote: "*waves*

Hey, thanks for the shoutout!

I have to also echo "Black and White" as an excellent novel - and there's a sequel either out or due out really soon.

:)"

I believe the sequel, Shades of Gray is already out. I couldn't find Black and White in any of the local bookstores. I'll probably buy it from amazon sometime this month.

message 17: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 56 comments Jennifer Estep has a few Superhero books out--though these seem more humorous than actual SFR:

http://www.jenniferestep.com/books-se...

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol Strickland (carolstrick) | 3 comments Don't forget my book, "Touch of Danger," from Cerridwen (which will be come Blush Books in a few days). Sequels will begin to appear this year. —Carol A. Strickland

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I finished reading Blaze of Glory by Sheryl Nantus , which I think is a really good one for anyone looking for the superhero vs villain theme as well.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Carol wrote: "Don't forget my book, "Touch of Danger," from Cerridwen (which will be come Blush Books in a few days). Sequels will begin to appear this year. —Carol A. Strickland"

I need to increase my SFR, so I'll look for that one today. Thanks for the info!