Sci-Fi Romance discussion

Let's Get Specific! > Deidre Knight's Midnight Warriors Series

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 15 comments I picked her books last year and even though I'm not big with alien heroes and such, I fell in love with her characters and her writing.

Had anybody here read these books?

Parallel Attraction (Midnight Warriors, #1) by Deidre Knight Parallel Heat (Midnight Warriors, Book 2) by Deidre Knight Parallel Seduction (Midnight Warriors, Book 3) by Deidre Knight Parallel Desire (Midnight Warriors, #4) by Deidre Knight

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Yz the Whyz wrote: "I picked her books last year and even though I'm not big with alien heroes and such, I fell in love with her characters and her writing.

Had anybody here read these books?

[bookcover:Parallel..."

LOL! No, I haven't read them, but I'm laughing because I couldn't sleep last night, and decided to clean my library/ office. I bumped into a pile of books which stands taller than my 5 ft 3 in, and was hit in the head by Parallel Attraction. Between that, and your starting this thread, I'm taking it as a sign to finally start this series. There's just no mistaking it!

message 3: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 15 comments Cute story, Michelle. :) It's a sign from the book fairy.

Now, I'm curious what you will think of the book. Be sure to drop by again and tell us.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I will. After cleaning up that pile of books, I realized that I have quite a few books that I purchased a year or ago that I have yet to read. My goal is to buy a little less (unless its a really good used book sale!), and start reading what I already own :)

message 5: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 44 comments I loved that series. I actually prefer aliens over vampires and shape shifters.

I have the 1st 2 books of her newer series in my TBR.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Mary wrote: "I loved that series. I actually prefer aliens over vampires and shape shifters.

I have the 1st 2 books of her newer series in my TBR."

What's her newer series?

message 7: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 44 comments It's called Gods of Mignight:

Red Fire by Deidre Knight Red Kiss (Gods of Midnight, #2) by Deidre Knight Red Demon (Gods of Midnight, #3) by Deidre Knight Red Mortal A Gods of Midnight Novel by Deidre Knight (2011)

message 8: by Yz the Whyz (last edited Aug 21, 2010 06:33PM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 15 comments I've read. It's decent standard PNR, but somehow I was not as charmed as compared to her alien series

message 9: by new_user (last edited Aug 22, 2010 03:23PM) (new)

new_user | 755 comments "I actually prefer aliens over vampires and shape shifters."

LOL! Well, there's a new one. Looks like aliens are the new vampire. ;) We're a finicky bunch, us PNR and SFR readers. I have this on TBR too. I'm looking forward to it. I do enjoy my aliens. =3

What do you guys like best about this series?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) After aliens, I think it's going to shift to mermaids. There are a lot of mermaid books coming out within the next year.

message 11: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 15 comments new_user wrote:
LOL! Well, there's a new one. Looks like aliens are the new vampire. ;) We're a finicky bunch, us PNR and SFR readers. I have this on TBR too. I'm looking forward to it. I do enjoy my aliens. =3

What do you guys like best about this series?
..."

If you are asking about the Midnight Warriors series, for me, it would be the characters. She has very strong but vulnerable heroes/heroines. There is also a very tight, very complex, overarching plot throughout the whole 4 books, so I recommend reading them in order.

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Oh, I didn't realize that! Very good to know. Thanks, Yz! I love strong but vulnerable heroes, so that sounds like a series for me!

LOL, Stacia! But we haven't had enough time with the aliens yet! LMAO. Actually, I think mermaids have been a growing trend-- and I'm glad because I love 'em! LOL. But there are more light ones than angsty ones, I fear. ;_; Must be the lingering Disney stink, LOL. I didn't know there were some coming out this year. Do you know which ones? >.> Not that I'm writing them down or anything... LOL.

message 13: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Aug 25, 2010 05:10PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Not trying to derail but I figured I could at least answer the question asked. ;)

Ok, so I didn't realize that most of the newer siren/mermaid/nymph type books are YA. These are some of the recent ones I've seen mentioned in forums.

Siren by Tricia Rayburn Seven Tears into the Sea by Terri Farley Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1) by Tera Lynn Childs The Forbidden Sea by Sheila A. Nielson

I've heard some good things about The Forbidden Sea, but don't know much about the others.

I also tried to poke around and at least find a few adult books to add for some variety, but there weren't a whole lot of recent releases for adults in this category. Maybe it's just a YA trend that's up and coming.

The Siren by Kiera Cass Sea Witch (Children of the Sea, #1) by Virginia Kantra The Nymph King (Atlantis, #3) by Gena Showalter

message 14: by new_user (last edited Aug 25, 2010 10:53PM) (new)

new_user | 755 comments *tear* We need more adult books! But I did read Sea Witch. That was selkies, but it was good! Thanks, Stacia! LOL. Now back to our regularly scheduled program. Aliens... What kind of neat powers do these guys have? They do have neat powers, right? Otherwise, what's the fun in being alien? LOL.

message 15: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 96 comments I know this discussion has languished, but I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed this series by Knight, and how amazed I am that they are not mentioned more often when people talk about sci-fi rom. It might be because the series has a strong romance component, and they aliens are earth-bound, but it's still a wonderful series with an interesting alternative time-line twist. I enjoy that fact that the plots are complex and so are the characters. I like Knight's writing, and her contemporary romance, Butterfly Tattoo is an amazing books as well.

message 16: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments That's good to hear, Carrie! (Feel free to resurrect any threads, btw. ;) By alternative timeline twist, do you mean time travel?

message 17: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 96 comments Well...there is time "jumping", but it's more like parallel realities or parallel timelines (hence the name) and not "Outlander" type of time travel. It's been while since I read them but I know the first book sets things up pretty well. This is a series that needs to be read in order. The author doesn't make it overly complicated, but it adds some complexity to the books.

message 18: by new_user (new)

new_user | 755 comments Oh, I gotcha! Thanks for the info! :)