Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Mackenzie Blue (Mackenzie Blue, #1)
This topic is about Mackenzie Blue
Contemporary > Mackenzie Blue

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments I just started this cute MG series called Mackenzie Blue and really loved it. At times, it's in part diary-format which is really in right now. IT was a fun book and this one focused on her trying to figure out who stole her diary and trying to win this teen star singing contest.

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Isn't it great?!?!?! I got an ARC of it last year and it is so loved in my classroom and by me! It is so cute and well done. And the format is unique and fun.

There is a sequel as well.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 446 comments Just curious since both of you seem to love it so much...did the images in the book seem grade appropriate? The students were 7th grade and yet all the illustrations appeared as if they were 12th grade. Additionally, it feels like the book will become dated really quickly. Using actual brandnames or referring to things by what is currently popular (i.e. sidekick for a particular cell phone)seems to date the book and limit how long it will be interesting to kids. I don't doubt that my current 5th and 6th grade girls will love the books and that reluctant readers will find them easy to read, but I was interested in hearing more.

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) wrote: "Just curious since both of you seem to love it so much...did the images in the book seem grade appropriate? The students were 7th grade and yet all the illustrations appeared as if they were 12th ..."

It may become out of date, but I don't think it will for a while and if it does, she can always redo it like Ann M. Martin is doing with BSC.

As for the images, I will have to take another look at them. I have an ARC so I read it a while ago (and some of the images weren't even in the version I got).

Kristen Harvey | 1046 comments Alyson you have a great point - but so does Kellee... especially if its a 10+ book series like some of these MG ones are going.

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) (alybee930) | 446 comments Kristen - I am going to post a review tomorrow on one of the blogs that I review for so I am limiting my comments at this point. But I will post a link when it is up. There are several issues/concerns and maybe it depends on what perspective you are coming from. I guess time will tell whether this series would be as lasting as the BSC or others.