The Hugo Awards Discussion Group discussion

General Sci-Fi > Next book club read.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Although very few of us actually read the book, still gotta pick a new one! Hope the membership can grow and we can get more of y'all reading for the next book.

Now, we need suggestions for the next book. Basically I'll pick like 3 or 4 suggestions, and in a few days I'll make a poll and let everyone vote on their favorite suggestion to be the next read. Once again, I'll give us two months to read it.

To open things up a bit, rather than just Hugo winners, you can also nominate Hugo nominated novels.

message 2: by TK421 (new)

TK421 I am new to the group, so I apologize if I purpose a title that has already been covered. Here are my suggestions:

A Case of Conscience - James Blish
The Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut
The High Crusade - Poul Anderson
The God Themselves - Issac Asimov
Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephensen
Titan - John Varley

These just happen to be some of the forlorn titles that gaze at me from my shelves.

Cheers!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm going to tell you that there's no way Cryptonomicon is gettin picked, because I had enough trouble trying to get people reading a book that wasn't even 300 pages long, haha. Thanks for the suggestions!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, four days later and no one else has made any suggestions! Looks like its going to be one of Gavin's picks. Poll is incoming!

message 5: by Bryan (new)

Bryan (blyoung) | 13 comments Would you consider Hugo-winning novellas? Maybe The Dragon Masters by Jack Vance?

It's Jack Vance's birthday today (Aug 28). He's one of my all-time favorite authors, and there's no other writer that can match his unique style.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

We'll put it on the poll for next time, for sure.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dragon Masters (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jack Vance (other topics)