Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Book & Series Discussions > The Forest of Hands and Teeth

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (chloebooklover) Yesterday I finished The Forest of Hands and Teeth, and I thought it was amazing! It had so much depth, and there was never a boring moment. I just picked up the companion book, Dead Tossed Waves, and it looks pretty good too, however it is about a different character. (Is it about Gabrielle? Because it says Gabry on the back, so I was wondering if that was her nickname - anyone know?)

So, what did you think?

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 43 comments It's not THE Gabrielle but there is a connection

message 3: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) | 149 comments I have had mixed reviews with The Forest of Hands and Teeth at my school. Only a handful of students read it and only one or two really liked the book. The others said it dragged on too much.

I do have Dead Tossed Waves so we will see how it goes. Maybe this year, more will pick it up and read the series.

☼Book her, Doesn't  Like New GR Format☼  (ren_t) It was a strange book for me because I read half and listened to half on audio. The audio was excellent and kept my attention. I'm not sure the written words by themselves would have. Too much angst and hand wringing for me.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (writers_soul) I like The Forest of Hands and Teeth but it took me FOREVER to get through. It was really boring and to me didn't have much debth. I started (but had to stop) The Dead Tossed Waves. I'm going to start it again soon. So I hope its better than the first.

message 6: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 28 comments I would recommend reading the short story Hare Moon in Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love it tells you the story behind Sister Tabitha.
I also enjoyed The Dead-Tossed Waves more then The Forest Of Hands and Teeth and am really looking forward to The Dark and Hollow Places.

If you like these kind of stories you may want to try Johnathan Maberry's Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura, #1) by Jonathan Maberry
it's told from the perspective of a teenage boy.

message 7: by Polkweed (new)

Polkweed | 50 comments I hated this book. Puritanical community, strange religion, zombie mystery and all the author wants to focus on is the main character whinging over whether she gets to be with the guy she has a crush on.

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) I just read this last week and loved it. It was so creepy and mysterious. I totally need the sequel.

@Kellyflower: Thanks for that information, I didn't know about the shortstory in Kiss Me Deadly. Sounds really interesting!

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber (Books of Amber) (booksofamber) I didn't particularly like this book's plot, and I certainly didn't like the main character! Mary was a horrible protagonist. However, I did love the zombie aspect of the book.

The second book in the series gets slightly better, as there is a different protagonist and she's a lot more... suited to the role.

message 10: by Gareth (new)

Gareth Mottram (garethmottram) | 9 comments I read the free preview of this and have just ordered it from Amazon. I think I'm going to enjoy it. It appears to have some similar aspects to M Knight Shayalaman's film "The Village" which I loved... particularly the feeling of isolatated/cut off communities which I incorporate into my work.

I'll post again when I've finished it.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) It definitely has elements of the Village, but isn't close enough to feel like a knock-off, which is nice.

Mary did annoy me in her selfishness. She treated the people that she loved in a horrible manner, just so she could focus on her own dreams.

I didn't feel like the book was too depressing. It would have been nicer to have a different ending, but it wasn't enough to make me dislike the book. The story was interesting and kept me engaged. I was still thinking about it after it was over, which is always a good thing.

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 43 comments We are selfish people by nature she was not surprising to me. I didnt like it but I understood it. And getting out of that horrible village - I got that.

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin I didn't really like this book. While it wasn't horrible I wasn't hooked like most books do to me. I liked the zombies, but the story itself was just.....weird..... Mary bugged me but I liked the other characters. I would however recommend this book to my friends not because I enjoyed the plot line, but because Carrie Ryan's writing style was so good.

message 14: by Sara-Beth (new)

Sara-Beth | 3 comments I really liked both the books. I like post-apocolipse novels. They always stress for me the flaws in out society.
Although I did not like some of the main characters flaws, in both books, with out those flaws the books would have not been nearly as good as they are.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenbooksrocks) | 6 comments I didn't like this book at all, not even enough to finish it. I got half way through then quit. I think that if you look for post apocalyptic novels there are better ones out there like the The Hunger Games ....anyone?

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy Armstrong (missamyalice) | 17 comments I'm not sure how I feel about this book. The writing was mediocre and the focus on the whole Travis-Mary-Harry love triangle thing in the middle was boring, and made Mary an even less sympathetic protagonist than she was to start with. However, it was impossible for me to put it down because I kept hoping something really cool would happen. The zombie shambling was great, but I don't think the ending was as satisfying as it could have been. Also, is it just me, or was the other village just an excuse for the author to show that the Sisters lied and to give Travis and Mary a chance to play house?

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy Armstrong (missamyalice) | 17 comments Jennifer wrote: "I didn't like this book at all, not even enough to finish it. I got half way through then quit. I think that if you look for post apocalyptic novels there are better ones out there like the T..."</i>

I agree, [book:The Hunger Games
is better. Anybody hear anything about The Maze Runner?

message 18: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) | 149 comments I read the Maze Runner and personally, I thought it was just okay. However, it is one of the books that is a huge hit at my high school library - especially with the guys.

Maze Runner is more violent than Hunger Games but has more action as well. I did like the story line really well as it was so original, plus I liked the twist at the end. I haven't read Scorch Trials yet as there is a waiting list at the library for the book and I don't want to take it away from the students....after all, I can always get it this summer (one of the biggest advantages of being a librarian is having a key to the library!)

message 19: by Sleepy (new)

Sleepy Booknerd I've tried reading The Forest of Hands and Teeth several times, but for some reason I always put it down and I don't pick it up again until at least a few weeks later. I haven't read enough of it to get a clear opinion of it yet. So does anyone think its worth another try?

And a few things that I liked from what I did read were the fact that there were zombies (obviously) and the whole isolation aspect of the village.

message 20: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess I brought this book yesterday, and I really hope it comes up as a group read soon-as I cant wait to read it!

message 21: by Kellyflower (new)

Kellyflower | 28 comments This book is one of those "either you really like it" or "you really hate it"
I'm in the "I liked it" group, but I enjoyed the second book a lot more.

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephsco) I just finished this and have mixed reviews as well. I was excited about the premise, and I read through it pretty quick. The story dramatically changes direction just after midway, and I felt the end left me with too many questions, it didn't resolve many of the issues brought up in the first half. The characters seemed a little underdeveloped. I really wanted to like this book more, but I admit I was intrigued the whole time and stayed up late a few nights to find out what would happen next.

message 23: by thesebooksiread (new)

thesebooksiread All these mixed reviews are worrying me! I have heard about this book but I have felt torn... I thought maybe reading these comments would help me make a decision but I still feel torn! :)

message 24: by Miss Bookiverse (new)

Miss Bookiverse (missbookiverse) If you feel torn about all the mixed reviews you should give it a go and decide for yourself! :)

message 25: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess I just finished, and I LOVED it. The concept was great, and it was executed well. I admit,sone parts were slow, but it still held my attention.I loved the ending climax!

message 26: by thesebooksiread (new)

thesebooksiread I can handle some parts being slow as long as the story is good and it all works. So Thanks *Jessica* for clearing that you and I will def check it out myself *Infinite Playlist*!!!!

message 27: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Young (The Haunted Rose) (thehauntedrose) This book gives me nightmares and I still love it! I still need to read the third one :) I have to admit I just don't think the 2nd one was as good as the 1st though.

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephsco) Since I already bought it, I went ahead and read The Dead-Tossed Waves. I think it gave me a better understanding of the world in Forest. It seemed to flow better, taking the same themes with a little more depth to the characters.

message 29: by Gabby (new)

Gabby (gab_lovesbooks) | 3 comments i just finished forest of hands and teeth and i really liked it, i gave it 5 stars, i really like how it's written. i'll try reading the dead tossed waves by this week. :)

message 30: by Rena (new)

Rena (allthingsrena) I have to say that I was a bit iffy on Forest, but I went ahead and read the 2nd and 3rd books. I definitely think they got better. I listened to all 3 on audiobook and I found myself actually talking to my car stereo system on The Dark and Hollow Places. I didn't realize how involved with the characters I had gotten and how much I wanted/want someone to survive that world!

message 31: by Natalia (new)

Natalia | 13 comments I had the same reaction as Emily. I couldn't connect with Mary and I got depressed one too many times while reading it. I figure this means I'm really not into zombie books.

message 32: by Mette (new)

Mette | 4 comments Hi everyone:-)

Right now I'm reading the last 100 pages in The Forest of Hands and Teeth and I think it's a very interesting book.
I agree with some of you that Mary is a bit difficult to connect with.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan

Have a wonderful day.

Mysteriousbooks

message 33: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I just started this book today. So far it seems pretty interesting. I'll post my review when I'm done.

message 34: by Kritika (last edited Jun 21, 2011 02:25PM) (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I finished the book, and the one word that sums it all up for me is annoying. Here's my review:

This book reminded me of The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. An apocalyptic plague wipes out most of humanity, leaving behind super-religious groups with great knowledge and average people, but mostly just getting rid of the human race. The similarities end there. While Atwood had a brilliant writing style, compelling characters, and a plot that was always making you think, this book had none of the above.

First of all, the characters. Mary annoyed me to tears. I think this quote describes her perfectly: "Cass was right - you're only chasing stupid bedtime stories and it's selfish." Yes, I think that's the right word, selfish. Mary wanted to go see the ocean; she wanted to marry Travis, not Henry; she wanted her brother to mother her as he used to be before he got married and had his own family to take care of. Funny how all of those things are absolutely selfish. Mary wasn't the only annoying one. I never understood what made Travis so appealing, and Cass and Henry were hardly in the story at all. I practically forgot they existed because they were so scarcely mentioned. I think the one good character was Jed.

I was also annoyed by how there was this mysterious organization called the Sisterhood, but right when you think you'll learn a secret or two, the organization disappears. Whoops, zombie apocalypse took out the few people that actually knew anything. Why mention a super-secret mysterious organization if you aren't going to say anything of use about it? Honestly the one "secret" that Mary discovers hardly counts.

The writing style wasn't particularly amazing, and every so often there would be a very awkward sentence - the kind that you read once, shake your head, read again, and give up on. I landed up skimming most of the book, not missing much, and skimming the rest. The story was moving too slowly for me while I was skimming. I think I'll try listening to the second book on an audiobook - that way I can't skim. Maybe that way I'll pay more attention (or not...)

I found this book to be terribly annoying. I didn't hate it though, so I decided to give it two stars. I do plan on reading the next book, just to see if Carrie Ryan redeems herself. It's about different characters, so maybe they will be less two-dimensional? One can hope.

Anna (Literary Exploration) (literaryanna) I feel like this book was such a waste of time. It was so slow, so boring, and so annoying. The main character was super whiny and immature about everything and the ending was a total "WTF REALLY?!" moment. Totally disappointing. I felt like I was reading a rough draft, the idea was soooo goood! But everything was really poorly executed. If you haven't started reading this one yet, DON'T!!

message 36: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Young (The Haunted Rose) (thehauntedrose) I have to say I totally disagree. The series is one of my favorites but I do agree with the character always acting whiny.

You should join my group Book Series Talk. :)
I need some members.

message 37: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) Anna wrote: "I feel like this book was such a waste of time. It was so slow, so boring, and so annoying. The main character was super whiny and immature about everything and the ending was a total "WTF REALLY?!..."

I completely agree with you! But by the second book, Mary is much less whiny and annoying (although the MC is terribly annoying for 3/4 of the book).

Anna (Literary Exploration) (literaryanna) I've heard the same thing from a lot of people, I'm planning on reading the second two, but I'm seriously putting it off. Hopefully they will redeem the series for me!

message 39: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I feel like if you've just read the first book, you can stop right there. If you read the second, you are ever so slightly interested in what happens next and then you have to go read the third. I'm not sure if I'm actually going to read the third book or not.

message 40: by Cinderela (new)

Cinderela | 1 comments I really just thought this book was okay. :( I think maybe it should have been longer. A lot of the relationships between the characters did not seem real and you never got a chance to really know them. I guess that's why I left me wanting more. More history between the girls and everything else.
:(

message 41: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) I agree with you Cinderela. I did land up reading the third book, and it was soooo much better than the first two. I feel like you ought to read the second one just for the third, because the second book isn't that great in itself.

message 42: by Kakari (new)

Kakari (kakari89) | 7 comments Err, for some reason, I could not finish the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Someone said it gets better in the second half, so I might pick it up again. =\

Anna (Literary Exploration) (literaryanna) Kakari wrote: "Err, for some reason, I could not finish the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Someone said it gets better in the second half, so I might pick it up again. =\"

Don't! It was horrible!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know what I can think about this book... it was weird. Idea is really perfect, but the end was... I don't know. Insane? Next book is about Mary's daughter and I don't think that we will know something more about people who stayed in Forest. I gave this book 3*, horror aspect was perfect, but I hate Mary so much, that I could kill her. I am happy that she was only book character :)

message 45: by Kari (new)

Kari | 15 comments I think dead tossed waves was much much better than the forest of hands and teeth. Really the thought Ryan put into the world of zombies and explaining how it could happen was quite good. I appreciated the back story the 2nd one provided. I have yet to read the 3rd one but I'm excited, although I do find the whole love triangle a little overdone.