Guys Can Read Book Club discussion

A genre junky?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin McGill | 41 comments Mod
What if any is your favorite genre? Do you prefer a specific universe like Star Wars or Dragon Lance?

message 2: by Steven (new)

Steven | 1 comments My favorite is mystery. For me, reading fiction is primarily a pursuit of fun and relaxation, and I have the most fun reading a good "whodunit." Even growing up, the books I remember enjoying the most were Encyclopedia Brown, The Hardy Boys and The Three Investigators. Now, give me a good Agatha Christie or Earle Stanley Gardner. Of course, at times I feel drawn to other genres such as adventure, thriller or Star Wars. But I always find myself drawn to a body, a series of clues, and the pursuit of a hidden truth...

message 3: by Sheldon (new)

Sheldon Lehman | 3 comments I may seem weird, but when I returned to reading some 10 years ago after a traumatic experience in my life, I would pick an author (currently Clive Cussler) and read everything that author has ever written. When I finish that author, I will pick a different subject field in fiction and read that author. I also alternate reading a mystery fiction author (currently reading Ed McBain/Evan Hunter). I don't currently buy many books; my library had a wonderful intra-state loaning system so I never have troublr getting a book. I will read most forms of fiction.

message 4: by Elton (new)

Elton Gahr | 1 comments Mood can effect what I want to read a lot, but there is almost never a time when a good science fiction book can't grab my attention especially the classics such as Asimov, Bradly, Clarke and others from that era.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin McGill | 41 comments Mod
Elton wrote: "Mood can effect what I want to read a lot, but there is almost never a time when a good science fiction book can't grab my attention especially the classics such as Asimov, Bradly, Clarke and other..."

Then you should be happy Elton. We're reviewing Heinlen next. :)

message 6: by George (last edited Jan 30, 2011 04:20PM) (new)

George I tend to read all types of fiction, but sometimes I am also drawn to Biographical/History. Strait up, History is hard for me to read, but if you throw in an interesting character or two, I am able to get through it. (Ex. The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss)

message 7: by Druss (new)

Druss  (stansnig) | 2 comments I read Sci-Fi, Fantasy, thrillers, Historical fiction and History texts. A bit of a jack of all trades. I try to rotate books read.

message 8: by GuysCanRead (new)

GuysCanRead | 24 comments Mod
George wrote: "I tend to read all types of fiction, but sometimes I am also drawn to Biographical/History. Strait up, History is hard for me to read, but if you throw in an interesting character or two, I am able..."
What about McCullough? Is he a tough read for ya?

message 9: by Orion (new)

Orion | 1 comments I gravitate toward supernatural, twilight zone-ish stuff, like Stephen King, Shirley Jackson, Aimee Bender, etc.
But I do make it a point to "eat my vegetables", and get my hands on a classic once in a while.