Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Philosophy for Pleasure by Hector Hawton

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James (james_k_bowers) | 152 comments http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/63...

While adding an old edition of this one, I couldn't help noticing the pre-existing edition's huge description is a bit of a train wreck.

It contains the table of contents and author's dedication, then is followed by Prof Heath's introduction to the book (almost in its entirety with "X INTRODUCTION" in the middle where, presumably, the page and section title were also copied into it).

Our librarian manual doesn't cover this treatment of the description field, focusing more on how to create one than edit/trim one...but I'm guessing this particular description could use some sort of maintenance. So, what do I do with something like this?

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24775 comments James, on your copy does it have a description? If so, you could use that.

message 3: by James (new)

James (james_k_bowers) | 152 comments The back cover reads like sales-pitch hype. It's got a short 3-paragraph description on the first page inside the cover (it's a paperback, so no help from a dust jacket) that isn't much better, but I think it's usable. Do you suppose I should use that as the default description for both editions?

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24775 comments Yep, nearly anything sounds better than what you described in msg 1.

As long as you're sure its correct, go for it.