The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.6- Kiri's Task: Exploration & High Adventure

Comments Showing 1-50 of 179 (179 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Sep 10, 2010 05:05PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17400 comments Mod
30.6 - KIRI's task: Exploration & High Adventure

It's Fall, time to return from our summer travels and lazy days, but we don't have to give it all up. In honor of GIS Day (the 3rd Wednesday of November!) Read two books of non-fiction that travel the world exploring the boundaries of existence. This page might help you. Explorers
A. Read one book focusing on the exploration of an unexplored destination with the potential of a life-threatening situation -- Ex. Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster, Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the AmazonAdrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea, Ships of Wood And Men of Iron: A Norwegian-Canadian Saga of Exploration in the High Artic

Books for task A should have an element of a life-threatening situation. In other words, you are on own your own and if you can't figure out how to survive, you won't.

B. Read about an explorer, navigator, discoverer, adventurer, or journeyer you've never heard of (or read) of before. Ex. A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail, The Sex Lives of Cannibals: Adrift in the Equatorial Pacific, Eat, Pray, Love, Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World

While people may think these are extreme (i.e. they'd never want to do it), they lack the life and death situations the books in A do.

Requirements:
• It must be a narrative.
• No Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc

message 2: by Dlmrose (last edited Aug 31, 2010 11:47AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17400 comments Mod
Wait for Kiri to post

Early posts can be found in the 30.6 Explorations thread.

message 4: by Kristina Simon (last edited Sep 02, 2010 07:16PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10789 comments Mod
Clarification on part A:
Books for part A of this task should have an element of an unexplored destination with the potential of a life-threatening situation. In other words, your are on your own - if you cannot figure out how to survive the situation and deal with the elements, you won't survive at all.

Possible books for part A might include: Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mt. Everest Disaster, Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon, Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea, Cruelest Journey: Six Hundred Miles To Timbuktu, The Mapmaker's Wife: A True Tale of Love, Murder, and Survival in the Amazon, Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival, Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone, The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey, Selkirk's Island: The True and Strange Adventures of the Real Robinson Crusoe, The Ice Master: The Doomed 1913 Voyage of the Karluk, Skeletons on the Zahara, Mawson's Will: The Greatest Polar Survival Story Ever Written, In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex

Clarification on part B:
Books for part B, on the other hand, are more about travel and exploration. Some of the situations may still seem extreme (i.e. you'd never want to do it), but they may lack the life and death situations that the books in part A have.

Possible books for part B might include: A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail, The Sex Lives of Cannibals, Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World, Eat, Pray, Love, Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World, For All the Tea in China: Espionage, Empire and the Secret Formula of the World's Favourite Drink, The Bizarre Truth: How I Walked out the Door Mouth First . . . and Came Back Shaking My Head

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Where would Burned Alivework?

message 6: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments This is a website that might help. I have frequently sought books from there before.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adv...

message 7: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments I'm thinking Annapurna for Part A and The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon for Part B. Would both of those work?

message 8: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments I was planning to use The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon for Part A as it involved exploring the Amazon.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments I need suggestions for part B the explorers part.

message 10: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I need suggestions for part B the explorers part."

Check the website I posted above. It gives National Geographic's top adventure books. "Extreme Classics: The 100 Greatest Adventure Books of All Time". Probably many of them will work.

message 11: by Liz (new)

Liz Would Eat, Pray, Love work for B - a journeyer?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments Terri Fl wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I need suggestions for part B the explorers part."

Check the website I posted above. It gives National Geographic's top adventure books. "Extreme Classics: The ..."

I did look through that. It is alot to pick through. If Eat, Pray, Love counts than I might do that for my book A.

message 13: by Nicki (last edited Sep 01, 2010 10:01AM) (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments I'd like to recommend South: The Endurance Expedition for part A - one of my favourite books of all time! I defy anyone not to be moved by reading about Shackleton :)

message 14: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments Will Last Climb: The Legendary Everest Expeditions of George Mallory work for part A? It's looking back on Mallory's climbs and considering whether he actually did make it to the top or not.

message 15: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Would A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail count for part A? I personally would consider trying to hike the Appalachian Trail a fairly extreme thing, especially since he does it because it's there and he just wants to try, but I'm not the one calling judgement on these...

message 16: by JC (new)

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments i was planning on using for
A: The Kid Who Climbed Everest: The Incredible Story of a 23-Year-Old's Summit of Mt. Everest
B: Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of his Time - abt the British guy that figured out how the time changes as we travel around the world - r they ok?

message 20: by Melissa W (last edited Sep 01, 2010 01:11PM) (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) I need 10-15 suggestions for Part A. The reason I need that amount is because I need to see if I can get them through the library, as I am on a limited income and don't want to spend $40 for basically one book, that I will likely not read (the reason $40 is because Chapters gives free shipping after that amount and I don't want to spend money I don't really have, as I don't get paid until at least a month's time). I would like those suggestions by around 6 pm today Pacific.

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments I would wait for Kiri to come and approve books, but use ones others are looking at using...you might not get an answer by 6pm tonight, but you should get some ideas in the next day or so

message 23: by Janice (last edited Sep 01, 2010 01:29PM) (new)

Janice  | 653 comments I've had this one for a while, and I'm dying to read it. I think it works for either A or B. James Holman traveled to the most remote places in the world in the early 19th century. What makes the story even more amazing is that he was blind.

A Sense of the World: How a Blind Man Became History's Greatest Traveler by Jason Roberts

message 25: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "I would wait for Kiri to come and approve books, but use ones others are looking at using...you might not get an answer by 6pm tonight, but you should get some ideas in the next day or so"

That's fine; I am not in a huge rush. I'll just take a peek as to what has been approved and then choose from there. I also have the option of going to another library system on Saturday and borrowing one of the books that was suggested in the disabled thread for this task.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Kiri - Usually I can get a pretty good feel for a task, but this one has me baffled, lol. Good job. Here are the books I am thinking of:

Part A - The Mapmaker's Wife: A True Tale of Love, Murder, and Survival in the Amazon by Robert Whitaker as an extreme trip down the Amazon River.

Part B - Samurai William: The Englishman Who Opened the East by Giles Milton as the explorer who opened up Japan to the west.

message 27: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) I agree, Lyn. Most of these tasks I've been okay with and just wanted to make sure I was on the right track, but this one has definitely got me taking a step or twenty back so I can look at my books a bit better. I'm in a position similar to Melissa W's right now in that I don't have much in the way of money to buy books with, but even worse is I don't have a good library with a wide selection that I can turn to if my collection doesn't satisfy, so I'm doing three challenges using almost entirely books currently residing in my house, with only two exceptions.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Caity - I am in a similar boat in that I have no money to spend on books right now. Stupid economy,lol, but I am lucky in that I have a huge library system to take advantage of, if I can get the books in time. However, I have a lot of books that I have bought over the years and never had time to read, so I am trying to use mostly owned books for challenges. To be able to do it except for two exceptions is impressive!

message 29: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Yeah. My spreadsheet is linked in the plans thread, and it has every single book I have fit into all three challenges I am in (this one, Reading with Style, and the College Students! fall/winter challenge) listed. Anytime I didn't have a book, all I had to do was raid my mom's bookshelves and use one of her books (she has a lot of interesting books). A few times I've downloaded eBooks for tasks (like the story continues task, I downloaded two Jules Verne books for it, but I could have also used Redwall books), but even that has been minimal. I've only had to purchase two books of the 99 I have on my masterlist, and both have at least interested me enough to make it worth it. Hopefully I can fill the rest of the TBD tasks with as much luck.

And super hopefully the Bill Bryson book I asked about will be approved (seriously, though, hiking the Appalachian Trail sounds pretty extreme to me).

Also, for part B I want to use Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks. All I know about this book and its author is that he hitch hiked around Ireland with a fridge thanks to a drunken bet with a friend, so that should count.

message 31: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 243 comments Would any of the following books work for this? There were so many interesting ones when I started looking into it! I narrowed it down to a few for each task, but wanted to make sure they would work before I made a final decision!

Task A:
Cruelest Journey: Six Hundred Miles To Timbuktu
Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World
The Mapmaker's Wife: A True Tale of Love, Murder, and Survival in the Amazon
Never Cry Wolf : Amazing True Story of Life Among Arctic Wolves
Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival

Task B:
A Land So Strange
For All the Tea in China: Espionage, Empire and the Secret Formula of the World's Favourite Drink
Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone
The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey (I didn't know Roosevelt was an 'explorer!')

And here are a couple good lists I found while searching for my books for this task, some of them have historical-fiction novels sprinkled throughout, but they might be a good jumping off point for people struggling to find books for this task!

Listopia: The Great Explorers
Listopia: Best Historical Travel Journals
Listopia: Tales of Adventure
Shelf: Exploration

message 34: by Potjy (new)

Potjy | 50 comments Can I use The Travels of Marco Polo for part A? Going to China might seem ordinary now, but in Marco Polo's times, it must like going to Mars.

And has anyone ever read Diplomatic Baggage: The Adventures of a Trailing Spouse? I'm not sure whether it's a journey per se.

Thank you! :)

message 35: by Cindy AL (last edited Sep 02, 2010 04:51AM) (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments I was going to use this one for another task, but after I read the first chapter, I think it might work for part B - The Bizarre Truth: How I Walked out the Door Mouth First . . . and Came Back Shaking My Head by Andrew Zimmern. It is more a memoir about his travels all over the world and the difficulties of shooting a TV show in third world countries than it is about food. Could it be?

message 37: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments Caity wrote: "Would A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail count for part A? I personally would consider trying to hike the Appalachian Trail a fairly extreme thing, espe..."

Would also like to know if this works for Part B?

message 38: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sarah (Mood Reader) wrote: "Where would Burned Alivework?"

Sorry, Sarah, but the books for this task need to be about exploration and travel so Burned Alive will not work.

message 39: by Kristina Simon (new)

Terri Fl wrote: "I'm thinking Annapurna for Part A and The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon for Part B. Would both of those work?"

Both of these would work for part A, but if you'd like to read one for part B, too, that's fine.

message 40: by Kristina Simon (new)

Liz wrote: "Would Eat, Pray, Love work for B - a journeyer?"

Yes.

message 41: by Melissa W (last edited Sep 02, 2010 02:40PM) (new)

message 42: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I did look through that. It is alot to pick through. If Eat, Pray, Love counts than I might do that for my book A." "Terri Fl wrote: Check the website I posted above. It gives National Geographic's top adventure books. "Extreme..."

Eat, Pray, Love works for B, but not for A. See post #4 for further clarification.

message 43: by Kristina Simon (new)

Nicki (UK) wrote: "I'd like to recommend South: The Endurance Expedition for part A - one of my favourite books of all time! I defy anyone not to be moved by reading about Shackleton :)"Nicki (UK) wrote: "Will Last Climb: The Legendary Everest Expeditions of George Mallory work for part A? It's looking back on Mallory's climbs and considering whether he actually did make it to the top ..."

Both work for A.

message 44: by Kristina Simon (new)

Caity wrote: "Would A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail count for part A? I personally would consider trying to hike the Appalachian Trail a fairly extreme thing, espe..."

It will work for part B. See message #4 for further clarification.

message 45: by Caity (last edited Sep 02, 2010 03:07PM) (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) Grr, fine. I just won't do this task (I don't have the funds to buy lots of books and I don't have easy access to a library) even though I was excited about it. I don't agree with the ruling since I've heard portions of the trail can be quite dangerous, but it's not my decision.

And it wouldn't work for part B for me because I have read Bill Bryson's books before and have a stack of them waiting to be read.

message 46: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments If Part B is about travel & exploration, could I readTwo Nuts In Italy?
Description from Amazon:
When Sue Ellen Haning's daughter, Jenny, invited her to backpack through Italy with her for the three summer months, she hesitatantly agreed. Their plan was to take a backpack, a little cash, no credit cards, stay in homes of Italians they did not know (or sleep on park benches if necessary), have no itinerary, and stay in small towns for the full cultural experience. They would take advantage of opportunities as they happened and experience a summer of learning, adventures, and wonderful memories while just drifting with the wind. Through Two Nuts in Italy, you will be able to join them on their exciting, no-holds-barred journey in the Italy few of us will ever get to experience!

Their travels through Italy took them to explore small towns, other areas, etc. It's non-fiction, the book is based upon the blog she kept while travelling.

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) Kiri - will the books that I listed in post 27 work?

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments @ Caity - if you don't mind reading on a computer, have you checked to see if your state library offers ebooks - the maryland one has an awesome system and I know some states (philadelphia i think is one) you can pay $15 for a membership even if you don't live in the state....

Caity wrote: "Grr, fine. I just won't do this task (I don't have the funds to buy lots of books and I don't have easy access to a library) even though I was excited about it. I don't agree with the ruling since ..."

message 49: by Michelle-Marie (new)

Michelle-Marie | 54 comments would American Nomads by Richard Grant work for Part B? this is the goodreads description:

Fascinated by the land of endless horizons, sunshine, and the open road, Richard Grant spent fifteen years wandering throughout the United States, never spending more than three weeks in one place and getting to know America's nomads, truckers, tramps, rodeo cowboys, tie-dyed concert followers, flea market traders, retirees who live year round in their RVs, and the murderous Freight Train Riders of America (FTRA). In a richly comic travelogue, Grant uses these lives and his own to examine the myths and realities of the wandering life and its contradiction with the sedentary American dream. Along with a personal account, American Nomads traces the history of wandering in the New World, through vividly told stories of frontiersmen, fur trappers and cowboys, Comanche and Apache warriors, all the way back to the first Spanish explorers who crossed the continent. What unites these disparate characters, as they range back and forth across the centuries, is a stubborn conviction that the only true freedom is to roam across the land.

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7514 comments Kristi - can you approve my books in post 20? or let me know if they won't work

« previous 1 3 4