Between the Lines discussion

Themed Reading > WWII: Shanghai Girls by Lisa See

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silver (new)

Silver When I first heard about this book I thought it sounded interesting but I also thought it was one of those books which could go either way but I have to say it is a good deal better than I had imagined. I am enjoying it more than I would have thought.

It is not a typical war book but the events of the war have a direct effect and driving force behind the lives of the characters and shapes the things which will happen to them.

The story focuses upon a pair of sisters who are forced to immigrate to America after Shanghai where they had lived is attached by Japan, and in America join up with husbands whom they had been placed in arranged marriages with and must struggle to make a new life for themselves.

While I thought the whole book was quite good and interesting, I find the events toward the end of the book offer some very interesting insights upon things I would not have thought of before. In the later pages of the book it details the events of Japans bombing upon Pearl Harbor, and one of the things I have found interesting is the struggles and efforts the Chinese immigrants have to go through to identify themselves as Chinese and ally's of the US so not to be mistaken as being Japanese and thus harassed or possibly shipped off to interment camps.

It is also interesting how the war offers possible new opportunities for Chinese immigrants, who had always been discriminated against, but share with the US a common enemy in Japan.

message 2: by KrisT (new)

KrisT I found out recently there will be a sequel to this one.

message 3: by Crystal (new)

Crystal KrisT wrote: "I found out recently there will be a sequel to this one."

That is great news, the way the book ended I hoped that we would be able to find out what transpired.