Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Hardy Boys - separate original editions from 1959 rewrites?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryan (last edited Aug 20, 2010 10:37PM) (new)

Bryan (blyoung) | 17 comments The early books in the Hardy Boys series probably need to be separated in several cases.

Publishing began in 1927, with a new book released at least once per year thereafter.

Complaints of social and racial stereotypes caused the publishers to look at the books in the mid 1950's. They decided to revise, rewrite, and condense. The new books would have the exact same titles, but some would have completely different plots, while others would only be slightly edited. Also, each new book would be shorter (no more than 180 pages, whereas the original books were about 212 pages each).

(The publisher also made decisions on the Tom Swift series, but instead of rewriting the old titles, they came out with the new Tom Swift Jr books.)

The new editions began appearing in 1959. Many of the books are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the original books, and thus I feel that they should be separated in goodreads.

As an example: The Shore Road Mystery. Originally written in 1928 by ghost-writer Leslie McFarlane, the book was 212 pages. The book's plot involves the Hardy boys using a Trojan Horse strategy to solve a car theft ring centered on the Shore Road.

The new edition of the Shore Road Mystery is completely different. It was written in 1964 by ghost-writer David Grambs, and has 178 pages. In this new book, the Hardy boys help Jack Dodd and his father locate a missing treasure.

Here is the list of the books that are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

06 - The Shore Road Mystery
07 - The Secret of the Caves
09 - The Great Airport Mystery
12 - Footprints Under the Window
15 - The Sinister Sign Post
16 - A Figure in Hiding
17 - The Secret Warning
19 - The Disappearing Floor
20 - The Mystery of the Flying Express
22 - The Flickering Torch Mystery
23 - The Melted Coins
24 - The Short-Wave Mystery

There are others that are DRASTICALLY ALTERED, in which the text is altered, the plot is heavily altered, many characters are eliminated/changed/added.

However, I propose that only the books that are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT should be separated. The others are probably similar enough that conversations could take place and still make sense.

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Bryan

I see where you are coming from but I want a super to weigh in here. The Librarians manual indicates that we should combine "Translations" even though they may differ significantly. I can see the reason for separating the completely different ones you indicate(adding a note) but leave the ones you say are drastically altered based on the manual

This is what the manual indicates:
"Translations of the book in other languages. Even though many translations differ significantly, we've made the decision to combine them all, and have people note the differences in their reviews."

message 3: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 469 comments i think, if the books have different author (ghost writer?) and different story altogether (like the example), they have to be separated, regardless they have the same titles from the same series.

message 4: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments I just want to add that this issue also applies to the Nancy Drew books, produced by the same publishing house. Whatever decision is made will need to apply to them as well.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments In and of itself, the page lengths are not a reason to switch editions: publishers change formatting all the time, which can cause rather drastic changes in book lengths, and we include abridged versions with full versions so even if it was simply shortened that wouldn't be justification.

The complete rewriting/replacing of the story by different authors is an entirely more complex issue, however. If they are separated, they need to be marked/indicated somehow that they are entirely different versions, both in the title and in a librarian's note. Also, none of the "originals" will have ISBNs (these weren't adopted until the late 60's/early 70's and there wouldn't be any reprints of the original versions to have been assigned an ISBN), which means most of the originals probably aren't in the GoodReads database anyway. I just checked: not a single version of The Shore Road Mystery is missing an ISBN which means its not even an issue of separating, but creating a NEW and SEPARATED edition to represent the original. Same thing with The Secret of the Caves. I suspect this is likely true for almost all of these.

message 6: by vicki_girl (last edited Aug 21, 2010 10:29AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Actually Applewood Books produced facisimile editions of the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books, with the original texts, cover art and illustrations in 1991. However, the series was discontinued midway through due to declining sales.

Wikipedia link

An Example (The first Nancy Drew book)

If the decision is made to separate them, the librarian(s) will need to thoroughly research them and add good notes. :)

ETA: The following site has a good listing for the Nancy Drew books, with notes on the books with revised text.

http://www.nancydrewsleuth.com/myster...

message 7: by vicki_girl (last edited Aug 21, 2010 10:38AM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Here's an example for the Hardy Boys...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27...

Per the descritption..."This reissue is the original edition from before the story was completely rewritten in 1968".

message 8: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments I know I looked at the Nancy Drew books a year or so ago and staggered away in horror, so hats off to the librarians willing to tackle it! :)

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41717 comments Mod
Thanks, Abigail. That's very helpful.

message 10: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments But some of the books were completely rewritten. In some of the books, the entire original plotline was scrapped and replaced with a completely new story. Here are a couple of examples from Nancy Drew:

The Secret at Shadow Ranch 1931, 1965 (Nancy Drew #5)

Original Text:

Nancy, Bess, and George head to Arizona to visit Shadow Ranch along with Alice Regor, a cousin of Bess and George. Alice's father disappeared many years before. The plight of a young child, Lucy, who lives with a very mean woman, Martha Frank, leads Nancy to suspect something is not right. In her search to find out how Lucy came to be with Martha, Nancy solves not one, but two baffling mysteries!

Revised Text:

Nancy, Bess, and George arrive in Phoenix, Arizona, eagerly looking forward to a fun-filled vacation at Shadow Ranch, but abruptly finds themselves involved in a baffling mystery. The ranch is being haunted by a phantom horse and maliciously damaged by an unknown enemy. Local people believe that the ghostly animal is carrying out the curse of Dirk Valentine, the romantic outlaw who was killed many years ago at Shadow Ranch, where he had gone to fulfill a promise to his sweetheart. Nancy suspects that a treasure is hidden by Valentine on the ranch and becomes involved in a dangerous race to find the treasure.

The Clue of the Broken Locket 1934, 1965 (Nancy Drew #11)

Original Text:

Kitty and Johnny Blair have adopted twins, but something is not quite right about the whole scenario. Nancy finds a clue in a broken locket that leads her down a mysterious path to find the twins' real parents.

Revised Text:

Nancy, Bess, and George find strange events happening when they visit Misty Lake. The meet Cecily Curtis, who seeks Nancy's help in solving two mysteries: one concerning Cecily's fiance, Niko Van Dyke, a popular singer who believes his record company is cheating him of royalty payments; the other, involving a family treasure hidden before the start of the Civil War--Cecily's only clue being half of a gold locket. Nancy's investigation leads to Pudding Stone Lodge and involves the sinister Driscoll family.

message 11: by Bryan (new)

Bryan (blyoung) | 17 comments Thanks vicki_girl, that's exactly the kind of example this thread needs for people to make an informed decision.

I agree, if there were slight revisions (or even major revisions), but the main plotline is largely the same, then the books should NOT be separated.

However, in some cases (and here's where we need experts to weigh in), the books are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. The only thing in common is the title. In my opinion, these SHOULD be separated.

If I read the original "Clue of the Broken Locket", there's nothing whatsoever that I can discuss with somebody who read the completely new version. (Other than general chatter about the character, because everything else in the book has changed.)

But.. I'm not an expert. I did a bit of research on the Hardy Boys series to see which ones were completely changed, but I can't vouch for this firsthand.

And I certainly know nothing about Nancy Drew whatsoever.

So what's the verdict? Separate when it's completely different?

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41717 comments Mod
Bryan wrote: "However, in some cases (and here's where we need experts to weigh in), the books are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. The only thing in common is the title. In my opinion, these SHOULD be separated."

Agree entirely. Only one additional comment: LEAVE DETAILED LIBRARIANS' NOTES. Pointing to this thread, probably.

message 13: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 579 comments Just my $.02 - I concur that books using the same title but with completely different plots should be separated from others of the same title. Also that books that were just edited/revised, keeping the same title, should be combined.

And what rivka said. = )

Hats off to those taking on the challenge!

message 14: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Abigail wrote: "The thing is, I think the ones that are completely different are the exception. Most of them should stay combined."

Correct. To my knowledge there are eight Nancy Drew books that would be affected:

2 - The Hidden Staircase 1930, 1959
4 - The Mystery at Lilac Inn 1930, 1961
5 - The Secret at Shadow Ranch 1931, 1965
11 - The Clue of the Broken Locket 1934, 1965
12 - The Message in the Hollow Oak 1935, 1972
14 - The Whispering Statue 1937, 1970
17 - The Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk 1940, 1976
18 - The Mystery at the Moss-Covered Mansion 1941, 1971

The dates reflect the original publication date followed by the date of the revised text. However, as I stated earlier, Applewood books reprinted the original texts. Therefore the dates should be used as a tool but not an absolute cut-off.

message 15: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 469 comments whoaa...major works for hardy boys and nancy drew.
especially since the first works were also reprinted.

as a fan that many2 years ago only read the translation edition of nancy drew(s) and hardy boys(s), i shall leave this work to the learned ones. but my heart goes with you people.

good luck brave people! ~\(^_^)/~