The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > General Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 162 (162 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
If you have a general question about the Fall 2010 Challenge, please ask here.

message 2: by Liz M (new)

Liz M I love have posts 2 & 3 reserved for judgements on individual books. Can these spots also be used for allowed/rejected words? For example, in the Fall Colors thread lemon & marigold have been approved as fall colors, but as the poster didn't name specific books with those words in the title, I would have to read the entire thread to know The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake worked.

message 3: by scherzo♫ (last edited Aug 21, 2010 09:39AM) (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) That's okay IF the Moderator/Task Creator wants to take on the extra work.

Please remember that the people who are helping you with this challenge are volunteers.

message 4: by Avigail (new)

Avigail (avigailr) I have a question for task 10.5 The First Estate: can I read the book about Pope Joan?

message 5: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Avigail wrote: "I have a question for task 10.5 The First Estate: can I read the book about Pope Joan?"

Please ask your question in the Task Help thread for that task:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 6: by Avigail (new)

Avigail (avigailr) thanks and sorry

message 7: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Some of the tasks send you to a Goodreads Listopia list. I'm having a hard time getting these to load, probably the size and the pictures of the books. Is there any way to load these lists without the pictures!!!???

message 8: by BZMoney (new)

BZMoney | 160 comments Is it possible to list the tasks in numerical order in the Task Help section? It would make it much easier to find! Thanks!

message 9: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17845 comments Mod
Birish wrote: "Is it possible to list the tasks in numerical order in the Task Help section? It would make it much easier to find! Thanks!"

Actually, if you click on "topics" in the header in the Task Helps Fall 2010 folder, it puts them in alpha order (or alpha descending- if you click again)

If that's what you mean

message 10: by El (new)

El Ooh, I didn't realize that! Thanks, Dlmrose.

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments Okay, here is a general question! Can we start reading the book now like we could before or has that rule been changed?

message 12: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Sarah - As posted in the Future of SRC, the draft guidelines are in the first message: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

6. Books longer than 299 pages that were started before the beginning of a challenge can be used to fulfill a task if more than half the book is read during the challenge.
For example, if you were to read 149 pages (or less) of a 300 page book before the start of a challenge, this book would count if it met a task requirement. However, if you had read 150 pages (or more) of a 300 page book before the start of a challenge, this book would not count.

message 13: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) yes, that's right

message 14: by SaraP (new)

SaraP | 2 comments Hi, I'm new here. :) I would like to participate in the fall challenge, but I have a few questions. Since I'm from a non-english speaking country (Finland), I'm wondering if I can use Finnish/translated books in the challenge. Also if there's a particular word or name that should be in the title of a book, should it be in the original (english) title or is it OK if it's only in the finnish name of the book?

Thanks a lot! :)

message 15: by scherzo♫ (last edited Aug 28, 2010 12:21PM) (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Welcome to the challenge!

It's okay to read the books in Finnish but the titles need to be posted in English.

ETA: NOTE -- If an English title is not available on GR, then include a link to the title in the other language AND tell us what the title is in English.

message 16: by Penny (new)

Penny | 101 comments Hi, I was looking at the posting rules what are Big Book tickets and Goodreads Author tickets?

Also When I complete a task where do I post it?

pjreads thanks for saying we have to post the title in English (I would most like read at leat one book in Spanish), but what if I'm reading a book for a cover task does it matter? The title can be in English, but the cover wont.

message 17: by scherzo♫ (last edited Aug 28, 2010 12:22PM) (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Big Book and Goodreads Author tickets are explained in
THE RULES OF THE CHALLENGE (rev. 2)
- see the 20 Point Tasks section.

Books read in Spanish (or other language other than English) for tasks requiring covers:
- post a link to the title in English
- post a link to the cover

ETA: NOTE -- If an English title is not available on GR, then include a link to the title in the other language AND tell us what the title is in English.

message 18: by Penny (new)

Penny | 101 comments Thanks.

Could you please answer this one too "When I complete a task where do I post it?" Is there a thread for this? or we create new one? or one everytime we complete one?.

message 19: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Penny wrote: "Thanks.

Could you please answer this one too "When I complete a task where do I post it?" Is there a thread for this? or we create new one? or one everytime we complete one?."

On the group home page there is a folder for the Fall 2010 Reading challenge. In that folder there is a thread titled "Fall Challenge 2010 Completed Tasks (do NOT delete any posts in this thread)". That is where you post completed tasks.

message 20: by Penny (last edited Aug 25, 2010 12:14PM) (new)

Penny | 101 comments I see the thread is up now, thanks Liz :)

message 21: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) are the 30 point tasks only worth 30 if both are completed or are they worth 30 each?

message 22: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 143 comments Melissa W wrote: "are the 30 point tasks only worth 30 if both are completed or are they worth 30 each?"

The entire task needs to be complete before posting and awarding points. That means both (or all) books must be read. The higher point tasks often have multiple book requirements.

message 23: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7687 comments both books for the task have to be completed in order for them to count

message 24: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) Nancy wrote: "Melissa W wrote: "are the 30 point tasks only worth 30 if both are completed or are they worth 30 each?"

The entire task needs to be complete before posting and awarding points. That means both ..."

Thanks

message 25: by Jenger (new)

Jenger (jengerj) | 76 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "If you have a general question about the Fall 2010 Challenge, please ask here."

Would topaz be considered a fall color? Thanks!

message 26: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Jenger wrote: "Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "If you have a general question about the Fall 2010 Challenge, please ask here."

Would topaz be considered a fall color? Thanks!"

Please ask this question in the Task Help thread for that task:

message 27: by Penny (new)

Penny | 101 comments When are the remaing task suppose to come out??

I know that the tasks are draft up to Sept 11, so the ones missing one should be up by Sapt 1 or by Sept. 11?, I imagine it takes time to decided on a task, this is my 1st challenge so I'm still trying to figure everything out.

message 28: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16177 comments Mod
Penny wrote: "When are the remaing task suppose to come out??

I know that the tasks are draft up to Sept 11, so the ones missing one should be up by Sapt 1 or by Sept. 11?, I imagine it takes time to decided on..."

The 20 point tasks will take a while, since the people who get to create them won't be determined until the summer challenge closes. Also, we won't know how many people will finish the summer challenge, so not all the 25 pointers will be determined until then. (I'm still hoping to finish, although that will likely depend on my spending the whole weekend reading - but I can think of worse ways to spend a weekend!)

After that, it depends on how quickly task creators get their tasks back to us.

message 29: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments I know there is still a missing 30 point task -- any idea on an ETA for that one?

message 30: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 243 comments Ashley FL wrote: "I know there is still a missing 30 point task -- any idea on an ETA for that one?"

From what I understand from the changes, only people who finished the challenge by the date that the tasks started coming out, are getting 30 point challenges. People who finish between that date and the end of the challenge get 25 point tasks.

message 31: by Ashley FL (last edited Aug 28, 2010 08:35AM) (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Right, but there is one that has been listed as "pending" since they were posted. I can't remember the person's name off-hand.

ETA: It's 30.6, Kiri's task (I went and checked)

message 32: by Penny (new)

Penny | 101 comments Thnaks, so that means that not all taks will necesserly be use??? Can tasks be post it after Sept. 11?

message 33: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Ashley, according to the SRC Calendar, Kiri has until 7 Sep to determine her 30 point task.

message 34: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments I was wondering about that, Tanja, because it also says task creators have 5 days after notification (and it's been well over 5 days). Hence my question :)

message 35: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) Kiri sent in her task within 5 days. She's considering some suggestions from the moderators.

message 36: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) If an English title is not available on GR, then include a link to the title in the other language AND tell us what the title is in English.

message 37: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) You are only able to claim a big book ticket once per size category, correct? Or do you get to claim one for each 500/750/1000-page book you read?

message 38: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments Starting in the Fall Challenge you can claim a Big Book Ticket for EVERY 500/750/1000 page book that is read

message 39: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Oh really? Wow, that's great! I'd love to get some bricks off my shelf. :)

message 40: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot I'm setting up one of those ticker tape things to countdown the points that I still have to get as I go along...but what do I set it to? What is the highest possible point score a member can get? (not that I expect to get to it, just curious!)

message 41: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) we won't know the highest possible score until after midnight tomorrow when we see how many more players finish the challenge

message 42: by chucklesthescot (new)

chucklesthescot I'll keep my eyes open for that. Thanks!

message 43: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) I don't understand the 20 point tasks, except for 20.10. Can somebody explain it to me?

message 44: by Sandy (new)

Melissa W wrote: "I don't understand the 20 point tasks, except for 20.10. Can somebody explain it to me?"

Those tasks are not posted yet, since the creators of those tasks will not be determined until the end of the summer challenge (midnight tonight). Those are simply the descriptions of who will get to create those tasks.

message 45: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) Sandy wrote: "Melissa W wrote: "I don't understand the 20 point tasks, except for 20.10. Can somebody explain it to me?"

Those tasks are not posted yet, since the creators of those tasks will not be determin..."

Oh, ok. Thank you. Thought I had missed something.

message 46: by Sandy (new)

Melissa W wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Melissa W wrote: "I don't understand the 20 point tasks, except for 20.10. Can somebody explain it to me?"

Those tasks are not posted yet, since the creators of those tasks will not..."

although, it could be a strange and interesting exercise, to create your own tasks, with only those words as guidance, LOL!

message 47: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) Are we still allowed to post completed tasks even though the tasks are considered draft until the 11th or do we need to wait until everything is finalized before we start claiming points?

message 48: by Sandy (new)

Charity wrote: "Are we still allowed to post completed tasks even though the tasks are considered draft until the 11th or do we need to wait until everything is finalized before we start claiming points?"

You can start posting completed tasks when the challenge begins - the thread will be open for posting at that time. Tasks posted before the 11th should comply with the descriptions as they are now - if anything gets tweaked, it will apply to tasks going forward.

message 49: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments You can start claiming points right away and they will follow the task as stated until the final change.

message 50: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) So early posters get grandfathered in? Sweet! I suppose that is an incentive to get reading right away. :)

Thanks for your quick responses.

« previous 1 3 4