The Sword and Laser discussion

Music in E-books?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter Freeman (new)

Peter Freeman | 12 comments I was writing something earlier today while listening to some music that I thought fit the scene really well. This got me thinking, wouldn't it be interesting if in an E-book, there was a way to encode the ability to play music during certain parts?

For example, you reach an action scene in your book. Right near the page is a little button that if you press it, starts playing some sort of action-y type music to get you into the moment. Do you guys think that would help immerse you more into the story?

message 2: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 21, 2010 07:49AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6088 comments Sounds like a good idea. I always wanted to play one of those Zork games with sound effects. I think there was a Sherlock Holmes one.

message 3: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (xebix) | 4 comments Most of the Star Wars audiobooks do this. They even have sound effects. I think it would be great to do with e-books.

message 4: by Tamahome (last edited Aug 21, 2010 10:54AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6088 comments I've listened to parts of Laurell K. Hamilton audiobooks from the library, and all of the sudden there'll be a gunshot sound effect, and I'll jump in my seat.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2832 comments The tech already exists; eBook providers just need to incorporate it. See digital versions of Wired and Rolling stone, which really take advantage of embedding and linking!

message 6: by Remington (new)

Remington | 38 comments I think it would prove too distracting. Also, I don't want to be emotionaly manipulated by some schlokly music while I'm trying to enjoy a touching or emotionaly powerful scene.

message 7: by Otto (new)

Otto (andrewlinke) | 110 comments I think it's nice as an optional feature. eBooks have a lot of potential...
Kevin Rose has some interesting thought: http://kevinrose.com/blogg/2010/6/13/...

One thing though: I like the idea of value-added eBooks, but only if the readers remain capable of displaying basic eBooks. There is a lot of value in the digital marketplace for independent authors and I'd hate to see it go away.