Graywolf Press discussion

Weekend Reads > Weekend Reads 8/20/10

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 26 comments I'm likely going to finish One Day by David Nicholls. Enjoying it immensely, but then, it's right up my interests being British and primarily set in the 90s.

message 3: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) | 244 comments Mod
Sara - One Day is probably one of my favorite novels of the year. I wish I could read it again for the first time! (I'm beginning to believe we have very similar reading tastes...what other British novels circa 1990 can you recommend??)

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara Habein (sara_habein) | 26 comments Goodnight Steve McQueen by Louise Wener is great. Keep meaning to read her other books.

There is of course [Book: About a Boy] by Nick Hornby, as well as some of his others.

The Tessa Hadley book I mentioned in another thread, Everything Will Be All Right, has some parts in the 90s.

Annnd.... Well, hell, my brain is blanking.

{Apart from the book I've written *ahem* (as yet unpublished) called Show Me How to Shine Now, which is set in London in the early 90s. Not that I'm, er, fishing or anything. Moving on...}

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Im enjoying my arc of Jose Saramago's The Elephant's Journey - I have been dying to read this forever!

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy (blacksheepdances) | 34 comments Today I'm finishing The River Gods by Kitely, sort of got distracted from it during the week. And I'm intending to start The Bars of Atlantis today, purely for the super cool cover.

I love this thread, but it makes my wish list grow too long!

message 7: by Belle (new)

Belle Boggs | 4 comments I'm reading Brilliant: The Evolution of Artificial Light by Jane Brox and The Quickening by Michelle Hoover, two authors I heard and loved at Bread Loaf this year. I really like nonfiction/fiction pairings, and I think this is a good one. I'd intended to read The Quickening before I met Michelle but was unfamiliar with Brox's work--Brilliant is fascinating and beautifully written.