Delirity discussion

Author R > In Death - J.D. Robb

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
That was my plan. Plus, I'd like to know as well. It'd be good for the Alphabet Challenge wouldn't it?

message 3: by Heather (new)

Thinking back on it, I once asked Darcy for a few recommendations and she gave me list a page and a half long. This was toward the very top of the list. She's a big fan so when she wakes up I'm sure she'll give you all the details.

message 4: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I've listened to Naked in Death and it was pretty good. I'm plan on listening to the rest of the series.

message 5: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments @Heather you are so funny!!

I love this series. I do say that they get predictable, but I am ok with it as the characters grow and you really start to read the books to see what is going on in their lives and not so much the crime of the book. These books are a cop thriller set in the future with romance and sex thrown in.

@Stacia - I know what you mean about people going googly eyed at Roarke who is the main character along with Eve. She can sometimes get on your nerves, but when you hear her back story things make sense. Her and Roarke are well matched for each other.

I love it when a new book comes out and try to read it right away. She usually puts out 2 new books a year, along with a short story. So if you are looking for a series with a writer who writes fast this is the one.

As Carolyn mentioned the audio books are really good too. I find I read the book right when it comes out and then will track down the audio a couple of months later.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Someone just recommended the series to me today. Random stranger. Odd conversation.

message 7: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Hmmmmmmmmmmm, another series to add to my ever growing tbr list? I like the way Darcy described it, sounds interesting.

message 8: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I just checked and my library has the audiobooks! The ebooks are relatively cheap too. I am going to pay for a library membership out of town so I can get ebooks, maybe I can borrow them too.

message 9: by Lisa S (last edited Aug 25, 2010 06:15PM) (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I just finished listening to Naked in Death a few days ago and it was ok. I think I should have read instead. I may have got more out of it.

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I would give the series 2 more books. They were originally written to be a trilogy and then be done, but were so popular she kept writing.

message 11: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments I recently finished books 2-4 and read book one in early 2009. I loved the first four and didn't have any trouble getting back into them. I purchased all of the books and plan to keep on reading. I've already gotten attached to the many characters and I would agree I look forward to seeing them more than getting into the mystery.

message 12: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I just got started with these books back in the spring. I've read the first 11 in the series. I think of them as mind candy. They're great to fill in the holes when I'm deciding on what to read. And I do read them mainly for Roarke. One of the books deals with him quite a bit and a good part of the book takes place in Ireland. It's the best in the series, so far.

message 13: by Isamlq (last edited Sep 21, 2010 05:16AM) (new)

Isamlq Stacia wrote: "I went ahead and deleted my original post since you made a new thread here, so if you want to erase the thread from that folder Heather, please feel free to.

My original post was a question abou..."

I started reading JD Robb because of the Nora Roberts trilogies (paranormal romance)...

Have you read any of them? At one point I was reading In Death~ nonstop. I really enjoyed it... and I stopped at Innocent in Death, but I shall pick it up again (one of this days after going through my TBR.)
I don't think you need to read them in order, but I did.

message 14: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq Roarke: The bodies of the three men were found floating in the Chattahoochee River.

Eve: I think it'd be embarrassing to be dead in the Hoochie-Coochie River.

Roarke: Chattahoochee

Eve: What's the difference?

Roarke: Quite a bit, I'd think."
— J.D. Robb (Promises in Death)

message 15: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments Great Quote!

message 16: by Isamlq (new)

Isamlq Jessica B wrote: "Great Quote!"

ikr!

message 17: by Heather (new)

I'm finally reading book one. Carrie says she sees Roarke almost like a Bones character, but I'm not seeing it. Maybe it's just me, but he's not coming across as sexy just yet. He's just a guy character in my head. For some reason I just haven't clicked with him yet.

message 18: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Maybe that will change by the end of the book for you Heather.

I never got the Bones vibe from Roarke, but I do like him!!

message 19: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments I love Roarke. I love Eve and Roarkes relationship. The first four books or so in that series are just some of my favorite books ever. (And...I just sat and tried to spell favorite with a "b" for a good 40 seconds. Absolutely convinced that it belonged in there somewhere. It may be naptime.)Some of the newer books in the series have been something of a disappointment, but, they are still an enjoyable read.

message 20: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Roarke and Bones don't look alike and they are not really the same at all, but for some reason they are similar to me. I think they started feeling similar somewhere around books 3 and 4.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 185 comments I kinda pictured Roarke looking like Clive Owen....don't know why but he is who came to mind when reading.....

message 22: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I sort of get what you are saying Carrie, where you think they are similar in attitude and actions.

Nichole, Clive Owen is a great visual for Roarke.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 827 comments Clive Owen is just a great visual.

I'm really going to have to read this series at some point.

message 24: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments I was just thinking the same thing about these Bones books that y'all are talking about. A fellow reminiscent of Roarke? I'm in.

message 25: by Lisa S (new)

Lisa S (kasey_k_fan) I tried the first in this series. I really, really tried, but I just couldn't get into it.

message 26: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments When Roarke says or does some things I feel like he is channeling Bones, lol. I also think E&R relationship is similar in some ways to C&B. In the sense that even though they did hook up relatively fast, Eve fought it for quite a while. Also, Eve has a lot of hang ups that are because of her childhood and it effects her relationship with him. IDK, I just seem to feel a bit of familiarity even though they are completely different.

One of my GR friends has a pic on her review of Roarke (her Roarke) and he is hot. I think he is a model, but I don't recognize him.

message 27: by Jessica B (new)

Jessica B | 292 comments I can definitely see the resemblance between Bones and Roarke. They both have something about them that just speaks to the female sex.

I've read the first 7 in the series. I think I enjoyed 3-6 the most so far. I look forward to getting a few more of these books under my belt this year.

message 28: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments For some reason I love it when they fight. There is one book, I can't remember which one, where they fight bad, where you think they are going to break up.

message 29: by Brandee (new)

Brandee | 80 comments I just finished book 2 in this series and will be starting 3 very soon....I really love reading about Eve and Roarke.

message 30: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments So far I think I liked the 4th the best, but they are all really close. I have only read up to 4 though.

message 31: by Heather (new)

I think it's the attitude that you see the similarities. The self-assured, conifedent male. Right now though, I haven't connected with him. While I feel like he's good for her, he still seems a bit pushy to me. I think he'll grow on me though. I can see me getting more interested in him as the books go by.

message 32: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I really need to jump on this bandwagon, lol. I've wanted to read this series for a while, because I love Nora Roberts and mystery, but the number of books in it has always daunted me.

message 33: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments They are stand alones, so you don't have to read them all at once. I read 1-4 and now I am trying to get other books in.

message 34: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments The thing is when I start a series I like to read them nonstop. Maybe I'll try that though. I'll probably just get hooked in and read them all. I usually love Nora and read her nonstop when I start a series.

message 35: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Ok, so I lied. I was taking a break but I needed an audiobook to listen to so I decided to start book 5. :D

message 36: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I am so glad that I helped talk so many of you to try these ones. :)

message 37: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Yay for Darcy!

I didn't even realize I had so many friends that have read them until I went to read #1. I think it must have been before I joined GR or I think I would have noticed since everybody mostly rates them high. I never even heard of them until this thread.

message 38: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I've heard of them before just because I'm a Nora reader and this is one of her famous-er series.

message 39: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments ahaha, I make up words quite often. ;)

message 40: by Heather (new)

I heard of them on here after I read the first book in the series that the tv show Bones is based on. Back when they had the recommendation system that I really miss. I got it recommended to me in a challenge for another group so I decided to give book 1 a try this month. It just happened to coincide with you picking them up, Carrie. But, you'll finish long before me. I have about 20 library books waiting for me and I decided to reread Frost to get my Bones fix after talking about him so much.

message 41: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I will be reading others in between, so you never know. I am reading The Eye of the World and the fourth book in the Riyria Revelations, The Emerald Storm right now along with Ceremony In Death.

I haven't read the books Bones is based off of because they are so different from the tv show and I don't think I would like that. Booth and his chemistry with Bones is one of my main reasons for loving the show, so I think I would miss that too much.

message 42: by Heather (new)

They take about 100 pages to get sucked in. It's slow going at first.

message 43: by Tya (new)

Tya | 846 comments I really liked Indulgence. Maybe its been awhile since I've read the last one but it seemed really quippy to me. Like the characters were making more snappy comebacks and having more laid back conversations than they typically do. I don't know, it just really stood out to me. And, this may be terrible of me, but I miss learning more about Roarkes dark past. There was a couple of throw away lines in this book about how he knows what its like to kill and I miss that side of him. Now he's seemingly just Eves assistant who also happens to own everything in the known universe. I want a book were for whatever reason he's not involved helping her solve the case (Not because they are fighting or whatever, he's just busy) or one were he's a suspect and its something she knows he could do, something he would even consider himself justified in doing and Eve has to prove that he didn't do it. Or maybe something more about Summerset's past coming back to stir up some trouble.

I don't know what I want. Maybe I'll just go back and re-read some of the early books but I miss feeling like I learned something new about the characters by the end of each book, learning about Eve's past and what happened in Dallas and learning Roarkes past. Its good that Eve and Roarke are evolving and neither are quite as dark characters or heavily shadowed as they were in the beginning but...they are kind of boring now in their happy go lucky-ness.

And I've a question. When Eve was digging in the society pages in Indulgence she found snippets about her and Roarke all around the world, what they were doing and wearing and how happy they looked. I can buy (sorta) Eve not noticing because she was all wrapped up and happy and in love with Roarke. But. Do the paparazzi not follow them around New York? Is Eve not a story when she's by herself? Because I keep thinking, if they are following her around the world do they follow her around crime scenes? Maybe they blend in with the other reporters.

message 44: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Tya wrote: "And I've a question. When Eve was digging in the society pages in Indulgence she found snippets about her and Roarke all around the world, what they were doing and wearing and how happy they looked. I can buy (sorta) Eve not noticing because she was all wrapped up and happy and in love with Roarke. But. Do the paparazzi not follow them around New York? Is Eve not a story when she's by herself? Because I keep thinking, if they are following her around the world do they follow her around crime scenes? Maybe they blend in with the other reporters."

I am listening to this book as a re-read right now so I get what you are saying.

I think that Eve being Eve just doesn't pay attention to things like that.

A good example is when she was talking to the ex-wife and she was going on and on about the coat, how Leonard made it, the cut, buttons, etc, and Eve in her head just thought of it as the blue coat. I think Eve is very much like that with things that she doesn't get.

message 45: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments I loved Naked In Death! Can't believe I doubted Roberts' abilities to write mystery, hehe. I didn't guess the killer correctly, but I never try to in mystery novels and no one ever screams "I DID IT!" to me. O.o I kinda just go along for the ride without to much input, lol.

message 46: by Heather (new)

I need to finish this, but I got distracted by Kleypas.

message 47: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8) by J.D. Robb

I loved the scene where Roarke and Eve were making snowmen, it was so adorable! <3! It was definitely one of my favorite scenes from the series. :)

message 48: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Does anyone not like Eve/get tired of her? Darcy, what do you think? I know you've read them all.

I love Eve, but I've read one or two reviews calling her bad names and just ragging on her. I've never found her annoying or thought she did something that the situation didn't warrant, so I was just wondering about what others in the group think.

message 49: by Heather (new)

Maybe it's just because 30 books in, people get annoying?

Honestly, a lot of people are just really picky and bitchy.

message 50: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine  (jadorejas94) | 950 comments Ahah that is very true. I was checking out the In Death #9 reviews and was surprised that people thought she was shrew-like. I always that she acted appropriately with all that's she's been through. But I might not get annoyed just because I do like drama and these books certainly have a fair amount of it with Eve.

Oh well. Different people different opinions.

« previous 1