Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > confused new librarian

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela (innae) | 15 comments So, I decided to start looking at the books on my shelf, first one I choose

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

I have the copy with the green eyes on the cover in my hot little hands, and the ISBN is not what is shown for the green eyes copy, it is the ISBN for the black&white gothic cover -- is this even something I need to worry about??

thanks!!

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23145 comments Angela,

According to WorldCat the green cover was published 2003 & 2004 (with the same ISBN). The B&W cover appears to be the 1993 & 1994 edition.

It is up to you whether you create an alternate cover edition of the B&W ISBN or just show the green cover edition on your shelves.

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela (innae) | 15 comments Sandra wrote: "Angela,

According to WorldCat the green cover was published 2003 & 2004 (with the same ISBN). The B&W cover appears to be the 1993 & 1994 edition.

It is up to you whether you create an alternat..."

Thank you Sandra...and I will try to remember to check WorldCat for stuff like this :-)

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23145 comments No problem Angela :)

message 5: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 469 comments Sandra wrote: "It is up to you whether you create an alternate cover edition of the B&W ISBN or just show the green cover edition on your shelves. "

it is easy to create another entry for the alternate cover edition, but how can we do the other way (i.e. show the alternate cover edition on my self only)?

thanks in advance for your explanation.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23145 comments Nenangs, if you already have an alternate cover edition created, all you need to do is go to the book page for the alternate cover edition and underneath the box where is says My Review - it will have 'review this edition / switch to this edition'.

Click on 'switch to this edition'.

And that is the edition that will show up on your shelves.

message 7: by Nenangs (new)

Nenangs | 469 comments oh...okay. so that means we still have to create the alternate cover edition entry first.
I thought you meant we can add/have an alternate cover to an existing book with the same ISBN without creating another separate entry. my wrong. :)

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23145 comments That's ok Nenangs. You do need to create a separate entry with all information you have except the ISBN. In the description field you say something like "this is an alternative cover edition of ISBN ......"

You create a librarian note saying the same thing, so that other librarians don't delete it by mistake.

And then you combine it with the other existing editions and then switch as I said before.

Very easy once you've done it a couple of times.