Abroad by Book discussion

Recommendations > Bill Bryson

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) | 16 comments Mod
Because he deserves his own thread (at least in my mind). I have to confess, I am a lover of Bill Bryson. I have a stack of his books (not all of them, but I do have seven of them) on my shelves and they are lovely fun.

So, what's your favorite Bryson and why?

Never read any of his books? Well, I'm sorry. Go find one and read it.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Personally, I had trouble with Notes from a Small Island. Too often he'd say something like "The British do this...." and then a few pp later say "The British do that...." and the claims are contradictory. I'm sorry, I don't remember examples, but I know it bugged me several times. Oh, and the claims were in sentences written to be absolutist and general.

So, maybe it was all tongue-in-cheek - maybe it was meant to point out how silly it is for people to generalize (stereotype). But it didn't read that way to me.

message 3: by Kristopher (new)

Kristopher Thus far, I've only read "A Walk in the Woods", but I thought it was a great story. He doesn't seem to be heavy reading by any means, but the stuff he writes is funny and well-written. I've got "A short history of nearly everything" ordered and am looking forward to reading it. I'm sure there will be more after that.

Kristopher

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Otoh I loved A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail. I read it when my dad was planning his thru-hike of the AT. He read it, too, and so did my college-age son who was planning to join my dad for the second half of the hike.

We all agreed that the book was mostly silly fun and definitely not a guide to hiking or to the trail. We also agreed that if read with the proper skepticism it could still provide a reader with some insights about hikers and other people.

Btw, my dad did complete the AT, has since done several other thru-hikes (Tahoe Rim, Colorado, Arizona, and Ice-Age) and is currently planning the Pacific Crest. He's undecided about the Continental Divide.

message 5: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) If you haven't already listened to Bryson reading his works on audio I HIGHLY recommend it. His delivery is so great.

My first experience was A Walk in the Woods and I almost ran off the road I laughed so much. My second favorite is In a Sunburned Country. I've listened to a couple more (The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid for one ) but there are many I still must get to. I prefer the travelogue books to the topical ones.

His humor really meshes with my own. Love him.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Just read almost 1/2 of Neither Here nor There: Travels in Europe. More witty whines, still not enough insights about the places or peoples. Funny is not enough for me.

I do see that somehow I've not been getting notifications of discussions in this group, so I'm off to see what-all other travel books I could be checking out.

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Please come back and post your rx to At Home (I assume that's what you meant.)

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Sorry. I just meant, come back here and post a comment telling us about your reactions to At Home: A Short History of Private Life after you're done reading it, so we can read what you thought. :)

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr)

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Go Robert! You can do it! :)

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Hope you're ok! Btw, I got In a Sunburned Country from my library already so I'll have to push to read it real soon.