Immortals After Dark discussion

Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #10)
This topic is about Dreams of a Dark Warrior
The Books > Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Book #11)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 255 (255 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Pickles (last edited Aug 19, 2010 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments Hey, everyone! Has anyone else read the September 2010 issue of RT Book Reviews magazine? I just got it today because it had an article about KC and "Demon from the Dark" and it lists the name of Regin's hero in "Dreams of a Dark Warrior!" Some people were hoping it would be Gamboa, who was introduced in "No Rest For the Wicked," but it isn't.

If you've read the excerpt for DftD, you've "met" him. KC says that he's one of the darkest heroes she's ever written. This just makes me so much more excited for Regin's book...although part of me wants to shed a tear over the fact that I still have to wait a year for Lothaire's. :'(

Anja | 95 comments Just a note, Harper, but you might want to put a spoiler warning in your post for anyone that wants to be surprised.

When I first found out who her hero was I became even more eager to read Regin's book. Talk about natural conflict. I can't wait for the scene where he remembers he is Aidan and has to grovel to win her.

Kresley stated that we would get to see scenes from the past when Aidan and Regin first met and I am dying to read it.

message 3: by Pickles (last edited Aug 19, 2010 09:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments Hi, Anja! I'd thought about it and figured it wasn't a major spoiler because people will find out as soon as KC releases the summary. Well, that and I hadn't actually given his name...but I guess I did crush the dreams of anyone hoping it would be Gamboa. LOL. To be on the safe side, I just added it to the title. Don't want anyone getting mad.

Oh, it'll be awesome to read about when Aidan and Regin first met. I've been wondering about it ever since the whole story was mentioned.

Anja | 95 comments Yeah, I don't consider it a spoiler but some people don't even read the blurbs. I can't imagine not doing that. And I know a few people that will be crushed because they have money riding on Gamboa. Makes me think Kresley placed bets against it to give herself a pay raise.

I really hope Kresley shows scenes from all 3x Aidan has reincarnated and died trying to win Regin. I'm more excited about their book than any.

I'm still trying to decide if I will wait until the entire trilogy is released before reading DftD. I think the torture will be lower if I don't know what I'm missing rather than reading it and climbing the walls until DoaDW is out. But then I will miss out on all the conversations about them. Tough decisions. I know I'll crack and read it anyway. Gah!

message 5: by Pickles (last edited Aug 19, 2010 10:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments The Gamboa thing doesn't bug me, fortunately. I thought he was cool, but I was ambivalent about him being Aidan. I was much more interested in this guy, just based on the DftD excerpt alone, so I'm happy about this turn of events.

I hope KC does do the flashbacks of all of Aidan's reincarnations so far. That would be awesome. LOL. Especially with hearing stuff about how he's taken Regin captive in the past. And it'll be interesting to see how KC keeps him alive this time around, since he's died every other time.

There are some books I've been able to hold off on (for example, I really loved "Soulless," but I heard the 2nd book in that series had a major cliffhanger ending, so I'm holding off on reading it until the next book is released), but I don't think I'll be able to do that with any of the IAD books. It's one of my favorite series. Between book releases, I go back and re-read the older books to get my fix. That and I haunt the forums and discussions with other IAD fans. :)

Anja | 95 comments I was just telling someone the other day that I was putting off Soulless because of the cliffhanger in the 2nd book. I want to wait for reviews of the 3rd book before starting it. I tend to prefer to glom a new-to-me series.

I was lucky to first discover this series last October so was able to read the entire series in a row but then got stuck waiting for Garreth and Lucia's book.

I know I will end up reading this book right away because I'll want to participate in the discussions. Speculating is practically a hobby.

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments I discovered the IAD series sometime in the middle of last year, I think. I remember that by the time I had caught up with all of the previous installments, "Deep Kiss of Winter" had just been released.

I love it when I discover a series that is either already finished (preferred) or has several books out so that I can read a bunch in a row. Of course, then it sucks to have to wait for the new ones, but I kind of like having books to look forward to. And it is fun to speculate in the meantime. :)

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel (mel_b) | 45 comments Harper, do you have a link to the bit where Cole tells us the name of the hero (if it's on line, that is). I know who it is but I'd still like to see what she says about him.

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments Mel wrote: "Harper, do you have a link to the bit where Cole tells us the name of the hero (if it's on line, that is). I know who it is but I'd still like to see what she says about him."

No, sorry. I read it in the actual magazine. You could search their website to see if it's online. It might be...

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 309 comments So she has released who Aidan is? And it is someone from the prison?

message 11: by Pickles (last edited Aug 24, 2010 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments Suzanne wrote: "So she has released who Aidan is? And it is someone from the prison?"

Yes and yes! Since this is marked for spoilers already, I'll just tell you...

*SPOILERS*

It's Declan Chase.

message 12: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel (mel_b) | 45 comments And he's a scary mofo!

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments I'm glad to hear it, Mel. :D

message 14: by Pickles (last edited Aug 24, 2010 02:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments From KC’s Ustream broadcast, here is the “Dreams of a Dark Warrior” summary. According to KC, this hasn’t been posted anywhere yet. I think I got it exactly as she said it. (Just in case, I didn't write this and claim no ownership. KC said this is the official summary for the back of the book.)

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9111255

"It’s a gripping tale of a battle-maddened warrior driven by revenge and the Valkyrie temptress who haunts his dreams. He vowed he’d come for her. Murdered before he could wed Regin the Radiant, warlord Aidan the Fierce seeks his beloved through eternity to be born again and again into new identities, yet with no memories of his past lives. She awaits his return.

When Regin encounters Declan Chase, the brutal Celtic soldier, she recognizes her proud warlord reincarnated, but Declan takes her captive, intending retribution against all immortals, unaware that he belongs to their world.

To sate a desire more powerful than death…yet every reincarnation comes with a price. For Aidan is doomed to die when he remembers his past. To save herself from Declan’s torment, will Regin rekindle the memories of the passion they once shared even if it means once again losing the only man she could ever love?"

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments And can I just say...

OMG, I'm so excited. I want to read it right now! LOL.

message 16: by Anja (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anja | 95 comments I was wondering how long it would take before a rabid fan transcriped the blurb. :) I almost did it myself.

message 17: by Pickles (last edited Aug 24, 2010 05:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments Anja wrote: "I was wondering how long it would take before a rabid fan transcriped the blurb. :) I almost did it myself."

LOL. I figured WTH? I was actually surprised no one had done it already.

What did you think about it?

message 18: by Anja (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anja | 95 comments I think it didn't give me nearly enough info. It needs at least 400 pages more.

Watching the video made me realize I've been pronouncing quite a few names incorrectly. I had Regin with a g like George and not Gary.

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments I was pronouncing Regin right, but I had no idea how to say Carrow's last name and I think she pronounced it like "gray." Also I hadn't realized that Lanthe's name was "Lan-thie" and I was pronouncing Tera like Tara, but she said it differently. I can't even remember how it sounded, but it wasn't like I expected.

message 20: by Anja (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anja | 95 comments She said Tera like tier-a. I also had Lanthe wrong. She did say grey for Carrow which is how I had it.

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments Yeah, that was it! It's like she's pronouncing it like Keira, but with a T. I think in my head it's going to stay "Tara."

message 22: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel (mel_b) | 45 comments Thanks Harper!

Is the video really 58 mins long? My phone would only play the first two minutes ("Is this recording?"). I'm going to watch it on my PC tonight.

Oh I also pronounced a few names wrong. I said Reedyin and Terrah and Lan-tèh. Hmmmm... This is the trauma of Xhex/Zex/Hex all over again ;)

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments Yeah, it is that long. Some parts of it are just her rambling and showing pics, but there's info throughout about the series.

I still think that no matter what, Xhex will always be "Zex" in my mind. The "hex" pronunciation just doesn't make sense to me. LOL.

message 24: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel (mel_b) | 45 comments Hey it's Xerox-Zerox so Zex makes perfectly sense.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 309 comments Declan Chase, he's the guy who is holding them all captive right?

I think I pronounce all the names right, but even if I'm not it is too late, in my mind I already think of them by that name!

I got Xhex right from the start *smug look* Mainly because I thought [Hex:] sounded better as when I though[Zex:] it sounded too much like sex, I have a gutter mind!

message 26: by Pickles (last edited Aug 25, 2010 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments Yep, Declan is the person holding everyone captive in DftD.

I actually like the fact that "Zex" sounds like sex. Maybe I'm the one with the gutter mind. LOL.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 309 comments *thoughtful look* I think you do [have a gutter mind:] Harper : )

message 28: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel (mel_b) | 45 comments I thought her name was supposed to sound racy. All the Brothers have such violent names and I thought her's was just sexy (or... direct). I guess not. The word Hex annoys me though cause it sounds exactly like the Dutch word 'heks' which means witch.

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments Yeah, that's why I liked it when I thought it was pronounced "Zex." I thought Ward was going for that sound. I don't like saying it "hex" at all.

Wminbc | 89 comments I just went by my university latin and the Xh would make the x silent and the H dominant...Hex, like I put a Hex on you is what she is like...the one you can't have...well except for Butch and JM...sighs for Butch...

message 31: by Nichole (DirrtyH) (last edited Aug 27, 2010 09:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) | 35 comments Harper wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "So she has released who Aidan is? And it is someone from the prison?"

Yes and yes! Since this is marked for spoilers already, I'll just tell you...

*SPOILERS*

It's Declan Chase."

GASP! Nuh-uh!
Oh, Kresley Cole, I salute you.
Okay, now I'm going to go back and read the rest of the thread, I just needed to share that reaction with everyone. :)

message 32: by Jesslynn (new) - added it

Jesslynn | 63 comments OMG...excited about Regin and her berserker! However, I'm a little disappointed that we don't get any Lanthe and Throno's...What gives?

message 33: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel (mel_b) | 45 comments Well, Cole thinks of giving them their own novel so that's quite something. I believe she initially was thinking of a novella, but a full novel it is.

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments I just hope she does do something for them. I don't mind the novellas -- "Untouchable" is actually one of my favorite stories in the series -- but a full length novel would be cool, of course.

message 35: by Jesslynn (new) - added it

Jesslynn | 63 comments "Untouchable" is my least favorite...bcs it seemed so anticlimatic after the build up of wanting to see their story and I'm afraid thats whats going to happen w/Lanthe, too. All of these stories are happening right about the same time and I really don't want another Kenyon, Bad Moon experience where I get the same story De Ja Vu thing w/from just yet another view point....that just seems like recycled material..

message 36: by Anja (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anja | 95 comments I was not a fan of "Untouchable" either but I don't like novellas in general. I really hope Lanthe and Thronos get a full length novel.

Jesslynn wrote: "All of these stories are happening right about the same time and I really don't want another Kenyon, Bad Moon experience where I get the same story De Ja Vu thing w/from just yet another view point....that just seems like recycled material."

Part of the reason I didn't like Pleasure of a Dark Prince initially was because apart from the rugby/forest scene, the beginning was a lot of repeat from another point of view.

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments Yeah, most of the beginning of PoaDP really dragged because of that. I hope that doesn't happen with Regin's book and the last one in the trilogy since they're all happening simultaneously. Hopefully it won't be as bad because the characters are all separated from each other for the most part.

I don't know why I liked "Untouchable" as much as I did, but I really liked Danii and Murdoch and the novella length didn't bug me. KoaDK remains my least favorite in the series.

message 38: by Anja (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anja | 95 comments My least favorites are KoaDK and HLNO. The first one I read was NRftW and I liked that one best until DDAD. The first time I read WDoaWN I wasn't too pleased with Bowen but after re-reading it I bumped it up a star.

As soon as I finish my last challenge book, I will start reading DftD.

message 39: by Jesslynn (new) - added it

Jesslynn | 63 comments ick...I didn't like KoaDK either but that's was mostly bcs I didn't like Sabine...IDK. I just thought she sucked as heroine and Rydstrom was too good for her, but I LOVED Lanthe...Idk...i'm a weird ass.

OMG...You didn't love Bowen and Mari??? I couldn't decide if Seb and Kaderin or Mari and Bowen were my fave couple for the longest time!

message 40: by Anja (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anja | 95 comments I really liked Mari but I was frustrated with Bowen for not liking her for herself. It seemed he only started to accept her when he thought she was his lost love. I also hated him calling her name wrong. After re-reading it though, I felt more sympathy for what Bowen was going through. Now the book is tied as my favorite with NRftW and DDAD.

My 3 faves are all equal to me but in different ways.

message 41: by Mel (last edited Aug 29, 2010 11:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel (mel_b) | 45 comments For me WDoaWN was my least favorite. I loved Bowen and I liked Mari but the witches are a little too much, I can't put my finger on it. They're all over the place, which is the same for the Valkyries but at least they compensate that behaviour with some actual fighting skills. I guess the witches' powers are too vague for me. (Especially Carrow's. What could she really do?) It's not clear.
Plus I thought the story dragged towards the ending. When Bowen said 'Mariah' in stead of 'Mariketa', I was rolling my eyes. And the story line with her parents? Lame!

I'm the odd one out but one of my favorites is HlnO. Together with NRftW.

message 42: by Jesslynn (new) - added it

Jesslynn | 63 comments Harper wrote: "From KC’s Ustream broadcast, here is the “Dreams of a Dark Warrior” summary. According to KC, this hasn’t been posted anywhere yet. I think I got it exactly as she said it. (Just in case, I didn't ..."

omg!! this ustream video is fucking hilarious!

message 43: by Jesslynn (new) - added it

Jesslynn | 63 comments Mel wrote: "For me WDoaWN was my least favorite. I loved Bowen and I liked Mari but the witches are a little too much, I can't put my finger on it. They're all over the place, which is the same for the Valkyri..."

I like the witches and I especially love Carrow bcs she is the party girl and after watching KC on this video, she puts herself in these girls. I think the witches are more fun and fun loving which is the same reason why I like the Lykae so much.

message 44: by Anja (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anja | 95 comments Mel wrote: "...the witches are a little too much, I can't put my finger on it. They're all over the place, which is the same for the Valkyries but at least they compensate that behaviour with some actual fighting skills. I guess the witches' powers are too vague for me."

You are right. In a battle, the witches would just stand there and cast spells. Maybe that is part of why I didn't care much for Sabine. She seemed to be all about her wardrobe but not much of a warrior. I like the physical fighting of the Valkyrie.

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments Jesslynn wrote: "ick...I didn't like KoaDK either but that's was mostly bcs I didn't like Sabine...IDK. I just thought she sucked as heroine and Rydstrom was too good for her, but I LOVED Lanthe...Idk...i'm a weird..."

I feel the same way about Sabine. The first time I read the book, I really couldn't stand her and I only gave the book 2 stars because I hated Sabine and Rydstrom as a couple. Afterward I felt bad about rating it so low, so I went back and read it again. The 2nd time around, she did grow on me a bit, but I still didn't like her with Rydstrom and my favorite scenes in KoaDK were the ones from Lanthe's perspective.

I'd say my least faves would be: KoaDK, AHLNO, and TWWF. My top four would be: WDoaWN, DDAD, DNaNE, and NRftW.

Pickles (angstypickles) | 314 comments Mel wrote: "I guess the witches' powers are too vague for me. (Especially Carrow's. What could she really do?) It's not clear."

I like Mari, but I was apathetic about Carrow. I agree with you about Carrow's powers, though. At least we've seen some of the stuff Mari can do in other books, but Carrow's powers were kind of underwhelming. I like what Lanthe and Sabine can do, but it does seem like it would be boring to watch in a battle.

message 47: by Jesslynn (last edited Aug 29, 2010 12:10PM) (new) - added it

Jesslynn | 63 comments So IDK how I feel about this Declan guy being Aiden....He's been torturing Regin. How do you come back from that and say Oh Honey, it's okay...I love you anyways???? obviously I don't know yet, but I don't know that I'm going to be okay w/that book.

message 48: by Anja (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anja | 95 comments All I know about Carrow is that she can perform love spells? Is she also part of the warrior caste? Never mind. Don't tell me. I'll be reading her book this week.

I liked the sisterly bond between Lanthe and Sabine but I too was mostly interested in Lanthe's scenes.

I think I am the only one that didn't care for Conrad's book. I am disinterested in either him or Néomi.

message 49: by Jesslynn (new) - added it

Jesslynn | 63 comments Conrads book was kinda anh for me, too.

message 50: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel (mel_b) | 45 comments I thought it was sweet :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6