Delirity discussion

Author T-V > Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (The Fellowship of the Ring; The Two Towers; The Return of the King) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) by J.R.R. Tolkien

message 2: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I loved these in high school, but when I reread them before the movies came out, I found them very hard to get through.

I have to say, the movies are my all time favourite! It is one of the few times where the movie surpasses the book (not that everybody would agree with me).

message 3: by Heather (last edited Aug 20, 2010 07:00PM) (new)

I liked the movies and the books equally. At least the first movie. The next two kind of run together in my head. I loved reading them. I never would have picked them up if a teacher hadn't mentioned extra credit for reading them. She was evil and I was determined to keep my straight A's so I read them against my will. I never expected to get sucked into something that was so nerd orientated (my opinion at the time - I've grown up since then - and become a bit of a nerd myself).

message 4: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments I got into fantasy books when a friend that lived out west sent some to me cause he knew I'd love them (they were the Dragonlance Chronicles). I don't know how he knew, we only knew each other via phone calls, but he knew me pretty well.

I was not geeky in school at all. But if I were back there now I would be and proud of it too! My husband calls me his little geek.

message 5: by Heather (new)

I was a jock, but I was a scholar athlete kind of jock. Although, we're all nerds in some way or another. I've just embraced it as I've gotten older.

message 6: by Rachelle879 (new)

Rachelle879 | 24 comments Carrie (Care) wrote: "I got into fantasy books when a friend that lived out west sent some to me cause he knew I'd love them (they were the Dragonlance Chronicles). I don't know how he knew, we only knew each other via ..."

I loved reading the Dragonlance Chronicles as well. I specially liked Raistlin, the mage. I used Raistlin as a username a lot in various sites. I liked that he was torn and wrestling with the dark and light of his power.

I read Tolkien when I was 8. I started with The Hobbit and was hooked! My sisters and I were teary-eyed after we saw the trailer for the first movie. It was like seeing the pictures in your head come to life somehow. Peter Jackson didn't disappoint because he was THE LOTR geek of all time!

message 7: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Raistlin is my favourite too! I was just saying in the BDB thread how I think Z is my favourite because he reminds me of Raistlin.

Years ago one of my roommates named his dog Raistlin. I loved it for a pets name. He had golden eyes too, too bad they weren't hourglass shaped. :P

message 8: by Heather (new)

Most of my pets are named after historical figures: Napoleon & Josephine and Dante are my current ones. I had 2 fish named Umberto and Lorenzo after the writer Umberto Eco and the guy who paid for Michelangelo to learn how to sculpt, Lorenzo de Medici.
I have Dolce - sweet in Italian. Italics after the font option (and the name of Richard Gere's cat in Runaway Bride). And a Hawkeye after MASH. He's my little trouble maker. It's a big improvement from my days of picking Disney characters. Next boy I get is going to be named Bones though. My poor mother almost died when I told her I had named my rabbit Jezebel. She would have smacked me if I didn't move faster than her.

So off topic...

message 9: by Carrie (Care) (new)

Carrie (Care) (care76) | 1746 comments Cool. You have a lot of pets! I never named my pets until I had my own when my husband and I moved in together. We've only had dogs. Sadie was named by my husband after The Beatles song Sexy Sadie, Spooky was born on halloween and all white (and her name for 3 months was poopy, lol so we needed something that sounded similar), and now we have Jazmine because I have always loved the name. I love the name Willow as well so someday we might use that.

I named my son after a character in a book, lol. The book was Wicked Lovely. Same with my other son. He was named after a knight of the round table in Arthurian legend. They aren't really named after the characters, I just loved the names. :D

message 10: by Heather (new)

Jezebel started out as a Jasmine. Got shortened to Jezzy and then I realized she'd do anything for a treat so I joked about her being a jezebel one day and it stuck.
I have a Sadie, she's the Dane, but she was 3 when I adopted her so I didn't change her name.
One day I'll have a Spartacus. I'm not sure why, I just feel the need to. Hawk was going to end up with that name, but his mischievous side made me change it at the last minute.