I don't even know what this means.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) you do the math

any others?

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2752 comments Mod
"at this point in time"

"24/7"

These for starters. Let me sleep on it. I'm sure I can come up with a zillion.

message 4: by Kathie (new)

Kathie "It is what it is."

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) make a long story short (and it never is)

message 6: by Linda (new)

"one size fits alls"

Ha!

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) How about "I feel that at"

message 8: by Linda (new)

"close proximity"

Is there far proximity?

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) should have added ..........

message 10: by Linda (new)

"where did s/he go to?"

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) love "close proximity
regardless or irregardless

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) I'll pass by your house.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Iv'e never seen it like it before ( horror movies)
no one has ever seen it like it before that's the point.

message 14: by Marly (new)

Marly | 152 comments "at the end of the day" blah blah blah

message 15: by Linda (new)

"impacted"

This one I'm fighting on my own. impact was originally a noun. It is becoming a verb - just listen to the news reporters on TV.

She was impacted by the decision. (visions of a squished human) - Rather the decision had AN impact on her!

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Phew. I was holding my breath as I opened this 15-message thread, worried that it was a list of phrases that Michael and I overuse. :)

message 17: by Linda (new)

to grow as in "The company plans to grow the work force."

How about expand, increase, add to?????

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Kateri wrote: ""It is what it is.""

Agreed!

message 19: by Elhara (new)

Elhara | 36 comments "Like, you know, yha know what I'm say'in"

Be it known that I do not dislike Kate Gosselin but the voice over at the beginning of all episodes ends with the line: "It might be a crazy life but it's
ARE life". The substitution of ARE for OUR makes me cringe.

message 20: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) Linda wrote: "to grow as in "The company plans to grow the work force."

How about expand, increase, add to?????"

Agreed. This is my personal pet peeve.

message 21: by Summer (new)

Summer | 49 comments Linda wrote: "impacted"

This one I'm fighting on my own."

I'll fight with you, Linda. Since I'm a nurse, the phrase "was impacted" means something to me (and it doesn't smell like roses if you catch my drift).

message 22: by Linda (last edited Aug 21, 2010 09:13AM) (new)

Summer wrote: "Linda wrote: "impacted"

This one I'm fighting on my own."

I'll fight with you, Linda. Since I'm a nurse, the phrase "was impacted" means something to me (and it doesn't smell like roses if ..."

Summer, I hear you loud and clear. You've given me a good laugh this morning!

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy "Going forward." Whatever happened to "in [the:] future" or "from now on"?

message 24: by Linda (new)

"pre"- anything

i.e. pre-reserved, pre-packaged,

You reserved it before you reserved or packaged it before it was packaged???!!!

Should I let the cat out of the bag now? I have a list on my computer called "Huh?" Whenever I hear something really outrageous on the news - in other words where I think someone should know better - I add it to my list.

I have such gems as "bigger brunt," "major catastrophe" and "collaborating together"

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Ann wrote: "Phew. I was holding my breath as I opened this 15-message thread, worried that it was a list of phrases that Michael and I overuse. :)"

I thought the EXACT same thing Ann!

and Kathy, you beat me to it. I hate "going forward," though I have caught myself using it on occasion. :(

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) Sorry Michael and Ann didn't mean to alarm you, but if the shoe fits...

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael (mkindness) | 537 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "Sorry Michael and Ann didn't mean to alarm you, but if the shoe fits..."

the shoe often does fit, Michael, and Ann and I appreciate that all of you don't point it out too often!

message 28: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 42 comments 'should of'
'gifted' (as in 'she gifted me this black eye')

message 29: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 42 comments

I'll fight with you, Linda. Since I'm a nurse, the phrase "was impacted" means something to me (and it doesn't smell lik..."

haha! I'm not the only one! Yay!

message 30: by Linda (last edited Aug 22, 2010 06:54AM) (new)

I've already done the prefix, now the suffix…

-"wise" most offensively as in weatherwise, but I've heard it tacked on to many words…

most painfully recollected: years ago my sister invited me to one of those selling parties (a la Tupperware) for crystal / glass items. The entire evening the hostess advised the attendees that we could use this "decorativewise" or use that "decorativewise."

I wanted to scream, "There's a perfectly good word - decoratively!!!!!!!!!

message 31: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 3 comments "Good to go" - My Marine husband says it ALL the time. I am sure it fits in that world, but not the civilian world.

message 32: by Toni (new)

Toni (tonivanb) | 115 comments I work in curriculum for a community college, and we have a course that is called "Less Lethal Training" in Administrative Justice. Everytime I see it, I wonder how something can be less lethal. I just shake my head.

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) "Less Lethal Training" (shaking head)

"the fact of the matter is..."
Wouldn't "the fact is" suffice?

message 34: by Linda (new)

-event

as in weather-event or news-event.

message 35: by Tenoko1 (new)

Tenoko1 "Not a problem" instead of "You're welcome."

message 36: by Linda (new)

or "Thank you" instead of "You're welcome."

I've noticed that when someone is interviewed, as on Today, the interviewer (i.e. Meredith or Matt) says, "Thank you for coming." The interviewed invariably replied, "Thank you."

What's up with that?

message 37: by Marly (new)

Marly | 152 comments No worries.

message 38: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
"the white stuff"

Used by weather reporters to mean snow. When they say it it makes me want to puncture them and see their "red stuff"

message 39: by Tenoko1 (new)

Tenoko1 Linda wrote: "or "Thank you" instead of "You're welcome."
I've noticed that when someone is interviewed, as on Today, the interviewer (i.e. Meredith or Matt) says, "Thank you for coming." The interviewed invariably replied, "Thank you.""

It means "Thank YOU for inviting me."

message 40: by Linda (new)

I understand what it means, Misty, but I don't like it. No one says "You're welcome" anymore.

message 41: by Tenoko1 (last edited Aug 28, 2010 06:57PM) (new)

Tenoko1 Linda wrote: "I understand what it means, Misty, but I don't like it. No one says "You're welcome" anymore."

lol True. Sorry for the confusion on my part. ^_^

message 42: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Linda, if I were in that particular type of "thank you" situation, I don't think I'd feel right responding "You're Welcome." It seems to me that it acknowledges that you've bestowed an honor on the interviewer. I always interpret it as a "No, thank YOU" which says "it's not necessary to thank me, but I thank you for inviting me."

In absolute meaning, "you're welcome" should not mean that (it should mean 'you're welcome to my time') but I think in today's usage it seems to reflect the granting of a favor.

message 43: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1175 comments Mod
Ann wrote:"Linda, if I were in that particular type of "thank you" situation, I don't think I'd feel right responding "You're Welcome." It seems to me that it acknowledges that you've bestowed an honor on the interviewer. I always interpret it as a "No, thank YOU" which says "it's not necessary to thank me, but I thank you for inviting me."

In absolute meaning, "you're welcome" should not mean that (it should mean 'you're welcome to my time') but I think in today's usage it seems to reflect the granting of a favor."

Well done!

message 44: by Linda (new)

Ann wrote: "Linda, if I were in that particular type of "thank you" situation, I don't think I'd feel right responding "You're Welcome." It seems to me that it acknowledges that you've bestowed an honor on the..."

nod

message 45: by Lee (new)

Lee (EL_Postal) | 3 comments I hate the phrase "I'm sorry but..." You're not really sorry.

message 46: by Merc (new)

Merc (oswinssouffle) | 21 comments "As the saying goes..."

message 47: by Taueret (new)

Taueret | 42 comments "no offense, but...."

message 48: by Mona (last edited Sep 02, 2010 05:17AM) (new)

Mona | 6 comments No offense, but you should of included sayings in the scope of this post. Be that as it may, I like this thread. I'm want to share one that I don't like saying-wise irregardless of the fact that your post doesn't specifically include them at this point in time. So no worries (but if you could edit the initial post, we'll be good to go). On second thought, you could probably care less about what phrases and sayings I don't like, so I won't bother. As the saying says, there is a time to speak and a time to be silent. Later gator!

message 49: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) Mona wrote: "No offense, but you should of included sayings in the scope of this post. Be that as it may, I like this thread. I'm want to share one that I don't like saying-wise irregardless of the fact that yo..."

Ouch!!

message 50: by Linda (new)

Cute, Mona! : > )

« previous 1